“Wonderful location, great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

L'Horizon Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   La Route de la Baie, St. Brelade JE3 8EF   |
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in St. Brelade
London
“Wonderful location, great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We've just been for a business trip to this hotel with 20 people and I have no hesitation in recommending it to you. The setting is fantastic: the hotel is right on top of perhaps the best beach in Jersey. The interior is smart without being too stiff. The staff were all great - very well trained, polite, friendly, from all over the world which tells you something. Our business meeting & dinner went well and the planning was spot-on.

We had a room with a sea-view which I would strongly recommend. I didn't hit the spa but the sauna / steam room are clean and worth checking out.

My only thought is that I'm not sure this is the most child-friendly hotel (I have two young girls but they were not with us) as the whole hotel is quite smart and I'm not sure where screaming toddlers would play - perhaps in the summer you spend the whole time on the beach as its only about 11 seconds from the hotel to feeling the sand in your toes.

Room Tip: Sea-view my friend.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
MartinKelly, General Manager at L'Horizon Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear Mr Demanding

Thank you for the review and I love the name you have used on Tripadvisor.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed the visit and it’s great to get some feedback for someone attending a conference/meeting as well as all the leisure guests that we have. I am glad that the event went well and everything went to plan.

Regarding your comment about the hotel being child friendly, we do feel that we are. In the summer we have a number of children staying with their parents but I take on board your comment that you would more relaxed if you knew where they could relax. As you say the beach is so close and you can sit on our Terrace and watch them play on the beach.

Thank you once again and bring the kids back next time.

Martin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Booked to stay here for our first wedding anniversary after we had our wedding reception here. Staff were very friendly. Had Dinner in the grill restaurant, Our food was lovely especially the Seabass Wine was very nice too. Despite a wedding been on we slept very well. Minor issue with room service Breakfast the following morning. The duty manager in the morning was fantastic in sorting it out and even went and spoke with my wife in the car park to ensure everything was ok. Mr Kelly the Manager you are a lucky man to have such a great duty manager who has such passion about your hotel. Thank you for the 2 Anniversary cards too.

Room Tip: Pay for the balcony room in any weather the view is stunning.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
MartinKelly, General Manager at L'Horizon Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Hi

Thank you for the review and once again congratulations on your wedding anniversary, I am so pleased that you chose to spend it here.

I am pleased that you enjoyed meal in the restaurant and didn’t find the wedding disruptive to your relaxation. I am sorry that there were issues with your breakfast but pleased that our duty manager was able to sort the problem out for you, it was Peter who is our deputy general Manager. I shall let him know that he was mentioned.

Thank you once again and remember L’Horizon isn’t only for anniversaries

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Having booked a short break 'deal' we were very pleasantly surprised to find that the quality of service and food was second to none. The rooms were kept spotlessly clean by the housekeeping staff and the service provided by everyone was nothing short of perfect. Our stay was too short but we have resolved to return in the early summer for another slice of perfection, deal or no deal.

• Stayed October 2013
Hi,

Thank you for the review on Tripadvisor.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay, it sounds like this is the first time that you have stayed with us so it’s great that you enjoyed the visit.

Thank you for mentioning the housekeeping staff, they work extremely hard to keep up the standards.

We hope to see you again soon and possibly longer.

Thorrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

From the minute we arrived til we left we felt pampered. The rooms are clean and fresh with everything you could need. The rooms are serviced twice a day with turn down service in the evening and a top up of bathroom essentials, biscuits and drinks. The food is mouth watering but a little expensive compared to other places locally but worth it. Breakfast was included and includes a list of special orders, full English , continental and more . The hotel is situated on the beach in the bay so the sea view rooms are the best. The pool and spa provide towels and the hotel also provides towelling robes to wander down to the pool in. The pool is beautiful with a jacuzzi, sauna and steam room plus selection of floats for all ages to use in the pool. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and made our weeks stay perfect Thank you

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi

Thank you for the review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. It’s great that you felt pampered the entire time, that’s what a beach hotel should make you feel like.

We hope to see you again soon.

Newcastle, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

People who know me would tell you that I am on a mini quest to find the perfect hotel. I think I might just have done it. I have realised that the best hotels are not just about the fixtures and fittings (having stayed in high end establishments that are totally soulless) but in the attention to detail and service. This starts with the warm welcome you receive on check in and the orientation tour of the facilities given by Tony, the concierge. We had booked a standard double through a promotion of 3 for 2 nights combined with a 10% voucher code from Hotels.com so paid the princely sum of £270 for 4 nights b and b. This proved to be unbelievable value. The room was more like a mini suite with comfy leather sofa, wide screen tv, bathrobes, mineral water and a lovely bathroom with nice toiletries and hot effective shower. I would have loved to upgrade to a sea view room but couldn't stretch to it. It didn't seem to matter as the public areas in the hotel are literally right on the beach so we spent a lot of time there. Breakfast was a joy overlooking the bay and the choices were extensive. I ordered several choices from the cooked to order menu, the best being the porridge with Jersey cream. My 5 year old daughter enjoyed the waffles with maple syrup. We didn't eat in the restaurant but did order room service as we were tired on the first night. The quality and presentation of the food were excellent. We also had a sumptuous afternoon tea which you have to book in advance. Thank goodness we only ordered one to share as it was huge! The warm scones with Jersey cream were gorgeous.After all the food you will undoubtedly eat a walk is in order and we enjoyed she'll collecting on the beach and a trip to the beautiful 13th century church across the bay. We also made full use of the lovely pool. It is adult only at selected times of the day but at certain times children are welcome. It also has stunning views of the beach, especially from the Jacuzzi. The main asset this hotel has is the staff. The cleanliness is impeccable and the housekeeper cones round to check you are happy with the standard of cleaning. At one breakfast a manager and a young waiter were talking. As we approached the manager immediately broke off the conversation and told the young man to attend to us. This is not always my experience of the service industry. One day at the spa we asked to borrow robes. There was only one so the member of staff (a lovely young girl with glasses) went to the stores to get one, found us by the pool and brought it to us. There is a nightly turn down service and the staff are constantly checking that you are having a great time, in a way that suggests they really do care. The location of the hotel is perfect - the bay is one of the finest I have ever seen. There are excellent restaurants within a short walk - we ate at Crab Shack and Sugareef (twice) both of which I would recommend. There is a Tennerfest fixed price menu promotion in many Jersey restaurants in October and early November and Sugareef's main and dessert fir a tenner at dinner is hard to beat. I cannot praise this hotel highly enough. We may have ended up here almost by accident but I hope to be returning to Jersey and L'Horizon for years to come. The General Manager should be extremely proud - I wonder if he fancies a sabbatical to England to teach people a thing or two about customer service!

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Aunty Mary thank you for the review: just kidding of course.

Thank you for this lovely and in-depth review, did you work for the AA in a previous role as a hotel inspector?

Thank you noticing so many small touches that, we believe, make a difference. As you have said it is the staff that make the hotel, along with a beautiful beach. I think that the person you mentioned in the Spa was Claire and we shall let her know. Thank you also for mentioning Tony, he has been with us for a number of years now.

Now you have found the perfect hotel I hope you have the chance to come back soon.

Royston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Great location, comfy beds, great breakfasts. Only complaint is the dated nature of the bathrooms...showers more like something you'd find in a cheap B&B. OK, while I'm at it, the dinner menu was somewhat pretentious.

Room Tip: Check the shower!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi

Thank you your review, I feel a mixed message. I apologise it wasn’t 100% enjoyment and sorry you didn’t feel the showers or bathrooms were up to scratch. We do have many different rooms and bathrooms in the hotel so I am sure that wouldn’t apply to all of them.

I have let our chef know that you felt the menu was pretentious. We all get a little carried away on occasions and it helps getting a little direct honest feedback.

Thank you again for your review.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

A lovely stay in a hotel with family memories. I was visiting family on the island and chose to stay at the hotel my late Grandad stayed at. It is a well run ship! The staff were all delightful. I particularly enjoyed my time with Laurie in the Spa. The breakfasts are lovely but I would agree with a previous contributor....don't put single women too close to couples! My room was very good for a single (when I visit with my partner we will choose a sea view!). I had some issues with the bathroom but have left feedback with reception which I am sure will be attended to. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Hi

I am pleased that you enjoyed staying with us.

We have taken on both your and the previous comment about lone travellers.
Thank you for the positive comments about the staff in the hotel and especially your mention of Laurie in the Spa, we will let her know that she has been specifically mentioned.

I am sorry that there were issues with the bathroom, I hope it didn’t detract too much from your enjoyment.

We look forward to seeing you again at L’Horizon

Martin

Been to L'Horizon Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!