“Lovely hotel, but be careful ordering wine!” 4 of 5 stars

L'Horizon Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   La Route de la Baie, St. Brelade JE3 8EF   |
Ranked #10 of 11 hotels in St. Brelade
South West
“Lovely hotel, but be careful ordering wine!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We recently stayed at the L’horizon on a package deal which given the normal rates charged for sea view rooms, proved to be excellent value.

The hotel is beautifully kept and so well appointed. The views out to St. Brelades are simply stunning and if you are lucky enough to have a sea facing room, the experience of waking up to the view is wonderful.

The hotel and room was kept very clean and with the exception of some of the bar staff on the terrace, the staff were great – the porters in particular were very helpful and went above and beyond. Loved the turndown service and the daily newsletter was very sweet!

We were over in Jersey for a weekend work event and as a very regular visitor to Jersey’s town centre hotels, I was keen to have a different experience to staying in St Helier. Overall, it was very positive and as I say, we were staying for work so we did not spend a lot of time in the hotel during the day. However I would have spent more time in the hotel in the evenings if it wasn’t for the bar prices! Bearing in mind that I regularly stay in Jersey and work in London, I was absolutely gob smacked when I saw what the L’horizon charges for a large glass of Pinot Grigio. £12.50 a glass!!!! Absolute extortion which meant that after I realised my error of drinking in the hotel, we never drank wine again, choosing to spend our money outside of the hotel where the same wine was half the price.

I accept that hotels will be more expensive than bars and in hotels (including central London) I would expect to pay around £8 a glass. But £12.50, in Jersey when there are multiple other options to choose from, all within a short walk from the hotel seems almost offensive to its customers. Interestingly enough, I was on the Island to organise a corporate hospitality event and I was charged almost the same per bottle of wine by caterers as the L’horizon charges for 1 glass!

So overall, this is a lovely, high end hotel for a seaside break, however its bar prices are above and beyond acceptable mark ups which actually prevented me from spending time in the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
MartinKelly, General Manager at L'Horizon Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and St Brelade’s Bay and that you were able to take advantage of the sea view which is an absolute must. I am pleased that you found the package to be a good deal as the rates are always better when you book direct with the Hotel.

I appreciate your positive comments about the team, it is always nice when we receive good feedback however I am curious though as to whether there was an issue with the bar staff on the Terrace. Perhaps you could provide me with some more details?

I am glad you like the daily newsletter, it’s fairly new, an idea I pinched from a couple of our sister Hotels. So thank you for your feedback.

Regarding the wines, we have had comments before. Although this is too late for your stay with us we have taken the comments on board and are changing the prices in the bar to make the wines less expensive. We will also use smaller glasses and changing the price accordingly.

Also we are ensuring that we make the prices of the large glasses of wine more transparent so that they don’t come as a surprise to our guests when presented with the bill.

I hope that you have the chance to come back to L’Horizon soon and hopefully you will have opportunity to see if the changes work.

530 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Camberley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

The main issue is checking in and out, you CANNOT check in before 2pm and you CANNOT check out after 11am.
when we arrived at approx. 9am we were given the impression that the room would be ready soon NO.
After giving our room to someone with the same family name we managed to get a room at approx. 2.45pm, good news they offered 1 free drink at the bar between two people.
the view was very good but the room was small and we had the sound of a motor bike all night which I assume may have had something to do with the a/c it made the noise approx. every 40 sec's.
And even though they made us wait nearly 1 hour for the room, no chance of a late check out even thought it was only for an hour and a half.
I think they need to understand the meaning of service and flexability, then it might improve

Room Tip: get a room in St Helier
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
MartinKelly, General Manager at L'Horizon Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Hi, thank you for your review.

I am sorry that you are disappointed about the check in and check out.

Early check in’s are something that we discuss on a regular basis as many of our guests like to start their holiday as early as possible, we can well understand that you want to get on to the beach as quickly as possible.

At this time of year the hotel is full or nearly full everyday, this is a logistical issue if people want to check in early or check out late. Obviously the rooms that people want to check into are still occupied from the night before, the same happens when guests want to check out late, the early arrivals are trying to check in to those rooms. This added together with pre-allocated rooms due to the room types that are booked by our guests, that would be why some people would be able to check in before others. This added together with the fact that our housekeeping team need to service the rooms for the guests that are not checking out. Sorry for the rant but as I said we have spoken about this a lot, in a way I am grateful for you for giving me the opportunity to explain that on Tripadvisor. We are more than happy for the guests to arrival early and leave their bags with us they can also get changed in the spa, the same applies to checking out late.

Regarding the room, I regret that you felt it was small and there should not have been disruption due to the air conditioning, if the noise was under our control we should ensure that it isn’t disturbing your sleep. As usual we aren’t sure who you are due to the privacy on Tripadvisor, therefore please contact us and we might be able to investigate the noise further.

We do understand flexibility and service is something that is very important to the team, I believe that the results of that are reflected in the many reviews on Tripadvisor, I am sorry if you did not feel it was evident during your stay.

Derby, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The location of this hotel must be one of the best in the UK. the whole of the back of the hotel backs directly onto one of Jerseys beautiful sandy beaches. The smell of the ocean wafts into the rooms at the rear of the hotel. The cafe at the back of the hotel has a great menu with lots of variety to suit all tastes and ages, the wine list is great too. Our room was very spacious and well appointed but it was the views which made it so special. A great stay overall
This was a treat for me from some friends so I cant give a rating for value/cost. We didnt use the spa but the prices looked ok

Room Tip: book a room with a sea view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
MartinKelly, General Manager at L'Horizon Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Hi Sarah

Thank you for the review. Thank for the opening statement “must be one of the best in the UK” although why stop at the UK. Your comment has cheered me up as I just wrote my response to the “disappointed” review and they always leave me a little low.

Most of the positive points that you write about are connected with the location and that’s the great thing about our hotel. If you are coming to Jersey then there really is no better place to be than St Brelade’s; other hotels are available.

You must have some lovely friends to get this treat for you.

We hope you have the chance to come back soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights through a Telegraph/Secret Escapes deal as my husband had wanted to visit Jersey for years and we'd never quite got round to it. We are so glad we did.
The flight from the UK is so easy and from the moment we arrived at L'Horizon we just loved it.
As our booking was quite last minute we were in a car park facing room, but it didn't matter. Lovely room, comfy bed, great bathroom with a powerful shower and fab service from the chamber maids.
L'Horizon really has managed the best of both worlds - old fashioned values (lots of three-generation families enjoying a beach holiday, nicely behaved children, fabulous staff, excellent management) combined with great, modern rooms (with wifi etc). Just little touches like "proper" milk in the fridge not those horrid little pots say it all.
We loved walking the beach, exploring the island (we did hire a car but the buses seemed very easy alternatives) and eating at the great restaurants that St Brelade offers.
Thank you L'Horizon, we had a great time and have already recommended you to several friends who we know would value what you have created!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi

Thank you for the review.
I like the statement, Old Fashioned in a 2013 way. I think that sums up Jersey and our hotel, although I might change it a little to Old fashioned values in 2013 way.

It is challenging to appeal to the three generations as you have said but again that is Jersey, we love the fact that people feel they can come here and have that kind of family reunion, you have mentioned the ease of the flights and that adds to the appeal for some of our younger and older guests.

Thank you for mentioning the team, we are very proud of the positive mentions that they receive on Tripadvisor and in the hotel.

We also appreciate the mentioning of smaller points, the WiFi is now in all the guests rooms and public areas and it is free. The milk is a small detail but we feel it makes such a difference.

Thank you again, hope you come back soon.

Maidenhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We have just enjoyed a very pleasant 5 day break at L'Horizon. The location is superb, however the staff were excellent. Very professional and were always on hand to help. Some of the customers were of a "very demanding nature" and yet all were dealt with calmly and good humour.
Fairly pricey as mentioned by others, but we didn't aim to book a cheap hotel! We feel we got what we paid for.
Will definitely consider a return visit.

Room Tip: Sea view is a must. The bay is outstandingly beautiful.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
MartinKelly, General Manager at L'Horizon Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Ken

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at L’Horizon.

It would appear that our teams customer service was a mild form of entertainment. We have guests that stay with us for a long time and have come back for many years, they do have high expectations and we do take pride in meeting those expectations and correcting issues when they go wrong. Thank you for noticing that and mentioning it.

You are right we are not inexpensive in the summer months, and again this quite rightly raises the expectation of the guests. I did like your comment regarding this.

Thank you once again and we hope that you have the opportunity to return to L’Horizon Beach Hotel soon.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Nice hotel location on the beach of St Brelards Bay. I booked a Junior Suite sea facing and had a fantastic view of the beach, the room was most definitely a 4 out of 5. Drinks were ok in this hotel and priced like any other 4 star hotel in the uk would be. However, what really let the hotel down was the food as it was over priced and average in my opinion. I wondered down the sea front and eat in other hotels and restaurants and whilst cheaper was no better than a Harvester.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Stuart

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

I was glad to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and had the benefit of one of the Junior Suites. I was sorry that you felt let down by the food. I was a little confused as to whether you were referring to our hotel as like a Harvester or one of the others, I haven’t eaten in a Harvester restaurant but presume that this was not a compliment. You haven’t been very specific regarding your comments, if you have time this is something that I would like to explore further, drop me a line or give me a call.

There are alternative dining options in the Bay, this is something that has increased over the years and whilst we would prefer less competition, it is better for our guests.

I hope that I hear from you as everyone benefits if we know what we have done wrong including yourself for future visits.

Thank you once again for the review.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

This is a lovely hotel in a premier location. You are literally a small step from a wonderful beach and only 10 minutes from the airport.

The ocean view rooms have a great view. Staff are very friendly and helpful from the staff on the front desk, to the waiting staff and people serving in the bar.

We had two lovely meals, in the Atlantic Room and one on the Terrace. Food and staff were excellent.

Some points to consider: the gym area is very small and overcrowded with equipment. The quality of the equipment is very good but there is little room to use weights.

On our first night, which included a meal for our anniversary, we ate at 8.30 in the Atlantic Room. The sitting before this was at 6.30. As this was a special occasion we felt 6.30 was too early. However, we ended up being the only ones left in the room, with the staff setting up tables around us for the following day. To cap it all, as there was a computer in the corner, someone started using it when we were finishing off our final course. I wonder whether there is another location which could be used for the computer. Food was great but not the best location.

Finally, the beds get filled up very quickly with residents and people using the spa. This must be difficult to judge as a hotel as to how many beds you have but it is frustrating when you cannot find anything.

However a great stay. Staff could not be more helpful which creates a very nice atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Molly,

Thank you for your review of L’Horizon on Tripadvisor.

Thank you for highlighting the location, as you say we are ten minutes from the airport and if you only have hand luggage you can easily be in the hotel ten minutes after the plane has landed. And L’Horizon isn’t a stone throw from the beach it is a stone throw from the sea, please don't try this at low tide.

We do have a small perfectly formed gym, it doesn’t get too busy so space isn’t normally an issue, really you should be jogging on the beach, but I take your point, this is something that we are currently reviewing although it isn’t something that we are planning to change in the near future.

Thank you, again for your comments regarding the timings in the Atlantic Room, we have already changed the booking times in the Atlantic to make this a little more customer friendly on the reservations side.

I know that we have the guest’s computer in the corner, we have looked at other areas but we feel that it is important to have it in a public area as there are families in the hotel and using the computer. I will keep trying to find a new location though.

When you refer to the beds I am presuming that you mean the sun beds, it is a good point and I have reviewed this with the team making the lower area residents only, also as an added benefit we have made an agreement with Active Island Sports who operate directly in front of the hotel to enable our guests to use their sun beds at no additional charge to the guest, this allows our guests to sun bathe on the beach.

Many thanks for your positive comments regarding the food and the team, I have said it before and I will say it again, the positive comments make all the hard work worth it.

Once again thank you for the review and we hope to welcome you back to L’Horizon soon.

Martin

Been to L'Horizon Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!