“Back again!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in St. Brelade
London
“Back again!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

My family and I have been visiting the hotel. on and off, for years and absolutely love it it: yes, it has some negative points but quite frankly, the positive ones easily outweigh this. I've written a review on this hotel in the past but this was some time ago, here's an updated version from our recent stay.

It's a short taxi ride from the airport (alternatively hire a car from the airport or get the bus to Red Houses and walk down the hill). The exterior of the hotel looked gorgeous with stunning floral displays and the reception area was bright and breezy although a few more flowers inside wouldn't go amiss. After a very pleasant welcome from the hotel reception staff and porters, it was straight upstairs to a fab sea view room.

HOTEL ROOM - the hotel is right on the sea front and the sea view room was a delight: large balcony and seating, good quality linen and towels, tea/coffe tray, hairdryer, iron, ironing board, plenty of hangers, towelling rob, big telly, shampoo and, wonders of wonders, conditioner! The room was very clean and the housekeeping staff were charming. If you can afford it, go for a seaview room, you won't regret it. Try and get a room away from the restaurant and bar though just in case there's a dreaded corporate event or wedding going on. Still not keen on the colour of the bedroom though - there's an awful lot of 'tasteful' brown and beige in this hotel and considering its location by the beach, we reckoned it could do with a bit of colouring up!

THE SEA - every morning, we went for an 0700 dip in the sea which is literally a 3
minute walk from the bedroom down on to the beach. Our incentive for doing this was,
over the years, watching several ladies of varying ages doing the same swim at the same
hour ever day. The oldest being 87! Yes, the sea's chilly but you soon get used to it
(honestly!). The pool opens at 0700 during the week so you can pick up your towels on the
way to the beach.

SWIMMING POOL - heated, decent towels, steam room, jacuzzi and sauna. The pool is at
the back of the hotel so views of the sea through the windows. Seating around the pool is
plentiful and very welcome on chilly days. We had a couple of Elemis treatments in the spa
room and were very impressed by the therapist who did a great job. The location of the
therapy room used to be a little disconcerting because curious guests would open the door
to reveal some poor unsuspecting client stripping off, getting ready for their treatment.
Fortunately this no longer happens because the therapist locks the door! Might be an idea
to also have some sort of sign on the door though like 'Therapy room in use'.

TERRACE - decent chaise longues but not the most comfortable to lie on. It can also get a
little breezy. On the plus side, there's a small wall separating you from the public
promenade which means that people can't see over it to gawp at you sunbathing!

FOOD - we were on b&b so didn't have dinner although we did have afternoon tea on
the terrace which was very pleasant - and a couple of jugs of Pimms. We found that there
were enough local restaurants to fill our time and as we love seafood, we weren't short of
this either! (Check out Oyster Box and Crab Shack). One of our party was on half board and said the evening meal was good but I'm afraid I can't judge this. in the past, I wasn't very impressed by the quality of the evening meal but maybe this has now improved. Breakfast was good, self service and plenty of space. A chef is also present to cook eggs to order. Very pleasant staff, some of whom have been there for years!

AGE GROUPS & DISABILITY ACCESS - The hotel is excellent for children (lots for them to do in Jersey) and for elderly or disabled people. There are lots of ramps, lifts and it's all pretty flat - and access to the promenade running between the beach and the hotel is easy.

COMMUNAL LOUNGE AREAS - comfortable seating, nice lighting, excellent pianist who plays in the evenings and has been there for years. Unfortunately, we weren't very impressed by the
lounge area though - see below. Newspapers are in the lounge area but unfortunately
some guests walk off with them. I guess there's no way that this could be prevented?

LOCAL SHOPS - Newspapers can be delivered to your room but I preferred to walk to the shop halfway down the promenade. (It also sells suntan lotion, magazines, beach stuff, sweets and
decent Jersey ice cream) If you're looking for more shops, then nip up to Red Houses, the
area at the top of the hill, which has a Waitrose, Coop, chemists, clothes shops,
hairdressers etc.

THE BEACH - fabulous - very soft sand, hardly any stones and when the tide's out you can
go for a lovely walk right the way across the bay. The beach is very clean and the regular
morning and evening dog walkers come armed with plastic bags (need I say any more!)
There are lifeguards, water sports (at both ends of the beach), deckchairs, windbreakers
and kayak tours. When the tide's in, it's very popular with surfers and watching them from
your balcony is a real treat.

NEGATIVES
Hard pushed to come up with any but there are a few pointers:
CUSHIONS on the deckchairs - most other hotels in the area have cushions but
unfortunately L'Horizon doesn't. Any chance of some please because the chaise longues
aren't as comfortable as they could be?
TERRACE - any chance of some sort of windbreak at the end to stop the wind whistling
through? Also some pots of plants would brighten it up a bit - it's all a bit concrete - and
given that the rest of exterior of the hotel has some beautiful plants and flowers, it would
certainly perk it up a bit.
BROWN, BROWN AND MORE BROWN! Unfortunately the decor is really far too dismal for a
seaside hotel. Years ago, it was very light with beautiful blue touches, almost 'Californian
shutter hotel' in feel. Now though, apart from a couple of really nice paintings in the lounge,
it's all very brown. Maybe a few extra bits of colour or flowers would help? Blue
accessories/cushions, some warm rugs?
LOUNGES - We also felt that the main lounge section was quite noisy, being just off the reception (people walk through it on their way to the beach or the pool) and, on a rainy day, we longed to sit and read in a deep armchair, in a peaceful atmosphere, without people rabbiting away on their mobiles! There is another room next to the lounge which would be ideal for this but it really doesn't feel welcoming because again the decor is too 'cold' and the seating isn't comfortable. It's also a room that I believe is regularly used for corporate events and afternoon tea so all the furniture is laid out so that it can easily be removed. We ate our afternoon tea out on the terrace because we felt the small lounge afternoon tea area just wasn't inviting enough. Sitting bolt upright at small wooden tables. Absolutely no charm. Again, when we visited other hotels in the area, they all had lovely quiet comfortable reading areas and deep comfortable armchairs. So pretty please - any chance we could have the same?
RESTAURANT CHAIRS - very weird design, I noticed one lady practically falling off her chair
and several larger residents were having a very uncomfortable time sitting on them!
CORPORATE EVENTS AND WEDDINGS - I can totally understand that the hotel has to make
money and that corporate events and weddings more than fill this criteria - but I do feel that
perhaps the hotel is leaning too much towards this and is forgetting that essentially it is a
hotel with paying guests who're on holiday. Fortunately, during our recent stay, there
were only a couple of small events which didn't infringe on our enjoyment but in the past,
they have been quite intrusive and not exactly relaxing: a lot of loud men and women
walking around in suits, armed with laptops and talking loudly on their mobiles. Also, in the
past, the smaller lounge was occasionally closed to residents and used as a meeting room
(has this changed?) which again made you feel as though you were part of a corporate
event rather than being on holidayl. Are most of the meetings now held in rooms
at the front of the hotel (roadside) rather than the beach side? If they are, then that's great
news. If they're not, then could they be? Please? After all, why do they need a seaview
meeting room? They should be far too busy looking at a flipchart to have time to look at
the view

Room Tip: Choose a sea view room away on a higher floor
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
MartinKelly, General Manager at L'Horizon Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Hi

Wow, what an impressive, detailed and conclusive review. Contact me at the hotel, I have a gift for you as you have clearly gone to great lengths to help possible future visitors.

You are quite right we are very near to the airport 2.5 miles although you never hear the planes. We do have a lot of brown and beige. I find it very relaxing although clearly you found it a little overpowering.

The rooms with sea views are great, even if I say so myself. There is no better way to wake up in the morning than to see that view, it inspires you for the day. Also walking down to the beach in your robe for a morning dip in the sea sets you up for the day ahead and the ladies that you are referring to swim all through the winter as well as the summer.

Regarding the terrace we have reinstated the cushions for the sun loungers, we had new ones that we didn’t believe needed the cushions but clearly we have been proved wrong.

It is a shame that you didn’t try the meals in the evening, we are always trying to evolve the food concepts and varying the menus, we would have valued your opinion, possibly something for next time. Although I am pleased that you enjoyed the afternoon tea, this has really taken off in the last couple of years.

Regarding the wind break on the Terrace, this isn’t something that we are planning in the immediate future, obviously it is very depends on the wind direction, as you know the lower terrace is very sheltered if the wind is in the wrong direction.

The smaller lounge, is the Atlantic room, we hope to have the hard floor carpeted soon, this will make it a little more welcoming and yes we do occasionally have small meetings in the Atlantic.

The only point that you have raised that I am not really sure about is the one about the restaurant chairs, as you know we have a number of restaurants so I am not sure which chairs you are referring to, we haven’t had any similar comments to yours regarding them, perhaps you could let me know.

Regarding the meetings, private parties and weddings, all the guests in L’Horizon are very important to us whatever their reason for a visit. We know that balance is most important and we try very hard to get this right, so that leisure guests do not feel in the way of wedding guests and visa versa. We used to do more weddings in more of the rooms but this something that we have dramatically cut back on, as the balance wasn’t right. We do believe that we are a great location and large enough to diversify, but we understand that there are occasions when we get the balance wrong, this is something that we are constantly reviewing.

Once again thank you for such an impressive review, I hope to hear from you very soon.

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Stevenage, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

We have been to Jersey many times in the last 20 years and always had a desire to stay at this hotel, given the location and fantastic sea view.

The food was excellent on the terrace restaurant, and the staff were terrific in all parts of the hotel.

However I would recommend requesting a room that is NOT interconnecting. The guests in the room next to us were smokers and this is a non-smoking hotel. The smoke would drift across the balcony and also seep through the gap in the interconnecting door which made our room smell. Additionally you can hear noise from your neighbouring guests. I mentioned it to reception on check out, so as not to cause an issue during the stay.

Overall a lovely hotel and we enjoyed our stay, I only wish house keeping would have taken action against smokers rather than guests having to point it out. I expected a better quality room experience for the money we paid......it wasn't cheap!!

Room Tip: Don't accept an interconnecting room unless you need one!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi, thank you for your review

Thank you for the positive comments, I apologise that there were aspects that weren’t so positive.

Regarding the interconnecting rooms, I would be lying if I said that we didn’t have a problem with a small number of the interconnecting rooms. We have the solutions for those rooms, which is obviously better soundproofing in the doors and the roof space, I am hoping that we will be able to carry out the work early next year. We hope that that the work will eradicate the problem.

Regarding the smoking in rooms, all of the bedrooms are now non smoking rooms, we do have occasions when guests choose to ignore this policy and we do have procedures that we follow to dissuade them from breaking the law. I am sorry if the team didn’t act effectively to solve this problem, we should have.

I am really sorry if these two points had a negative impact on your stay.

I hope that you have the opportunity to visit the hotel in the not too distant future.

Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Spent an enjoyable three nights at the L'Horizon in April. We booked through Voyage Prive and this meant it was 'no change no refund'. Having received an email from the ferry company advising our ferry had been cancelled due to rough seas we were afraid that the whole trip would be ruined. However Condor Ferries happily rebooked up on the next day and allowed us to change the return trip as well. A phone call to the hotel resulted in a response that they would see what they could do. On arrival they shifted the booking. The reception staff were fantastic, not only fixing the booking issue but providing really helpful advice on things to do on Jersey.
The hotel is well appointed but is showing the results of its seafront location. External walls showed the need for maintenance.

The rooms (we had a Sea View room) were comfortable and well appointed. Breakfasts were fine with a good selection although some of the staff gave the impression they really did not want to be there. The location is great with the beach right in front of the hotel and you can walk around the coast line.

The hotel is not far from St Hellier ( a short drive or a bus trip) and the
Overall the hotel was pleasant. At the price we paid we thought it was reasonable value but at rack rates perhaps not. Look for a deal.

Jersey is well worth a visit. It has a fascinating history and the island is very compact. We had a vehicle and exploration was easy.

Room Tip: Sea View rooms on a deal is the way to go
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
MartinKelly, General Manager at L'Horizon Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Hi

Thank you for the review of L’Horizon

I was pleased to read that we were able to change the booking around to accommodate the cancellation of your ferry.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed stay. I am sorry if you found some of the breakfast staff a little disengaged, this point has been taken on board and will be shared with the team.

We hope that you have the opportunity to return to the hotel soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

My husband took me to this hotel to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. We had booked through condor ferries which we had done before and it had worked well.
Having both worked all day we then travelled through the night arriving in jersey just before 8.30am.
We had only been issued a confirmation email detailing our ferry and assumed that our room would be ready on arrival. How wrong we were.
After being told a room was not ready we went to get breakfast and returned about 11am. Still no room and after politely enquiring as to how long it would be as we had been awake over 24 hours we were told check in was after 2pm and this was on our letter. It wasn't.
I was amazed at the reception staff complete lack of empathy to our situation.
When a room was finally ready we were offerred no help with our bags. I distinctly got the feeling that as we had complained we were no longer entitled to expect any service.
The saving grace in the whole trip was the lovely scotish david a great assett to the hotel. He came across us struggling up the stairs and took my luggage from us and showed us to our room. A lovely bottle of champagne was on ice. I assume it was for us??!!
The room seemed lovely and very clean. However throughout trying to nap we were aware of a great deal of noise from what we realised was an adjoining room. We heard word for word that the poor bride to be had had her eyebrows messed up blah blah.
I asked to move and this was accommodated without fuss.
Sadly we did find service in general on the slow side and witnessed several verbal exchanges between staff. I think they need to work as a team more.
On the final morning we woke late to find our welcome pack from
Condor ferries under our door. Useful considering we were leaving that day! My husband rushed down to order breakfast. He was rudely told breakfast was finished and if we wanted it we would have to pay! At this point he did voice his disappointment to the manager and to be fair breakfast was provided of which we were grateful. It's a real shame that the hotel staff don't adopt a friendlier approach. Most customers can be appeased with some good customer service and a friendly smile.

• Stayed July 2012
Hi

Thank you for the review, I am sorry to read that we have let you down. I know that you discussed some of the issues, particularly breakfast with out deputy manager Peter, I apologise that we were not able to do enough to restore your faith in us but clearly we haven’t. I could try and contest a couple of the comments but realistically there is little point as we have clearly let you down. Please contact me to discuss this further and make amends.

On the few positives; thank you for your comment about David, he is a lovely chap and genuinely naturally wants to help people, I shall pass on your comments.

My direct line is 01534 494 401.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Spent an enjoyable 10days. Breakfasts and dinners good. Housekeeping excellent. Staff all fantastic .Pool very pleasant when not too crowded.View from Ocean View rooms excellent.
Breakfast Buffet very good. Poached Egg challenge improved as holiday progressed. Kippers good. Omelettes good.Service in the Restaurants very good with charming and helpful staff.Reception and Housekeeping Staff excellent. Downside for us is piped music in all Public Rooms. we find this very intrusive when you want to have a quiet read,and the Main Lounge is a very drafty wind tunnel.There seems to be nowhere to sit witthout piped music and drafts Agood new innovation is that the Terrace is mostly non smoking this Season .If you do not have a car ,Bus Stops outside the Hotel are very welcome and the Bus Drivers are friendly and helpful,If you hire a car there is plentyof parking space

Room Tip: Sea view best

Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel L’Horizon

I was pleased to read that on the whole you have enjoyed your stay in the hotel.

I am sorry that you found the music to be disturbing, we do try and create the correct atmosphere and not have it too intrusive but I release that it isn’t to everyone’s taste.

We have recently had the entrance doors to the hotel adjusted to try and manage the flow through the hotel better, and again I am sorry if that the draft disturbed you when reading.

I was pleased to read that the poached eggs improved, they should have been the improved version in the first place! I shall pass that comment to our chef.

I am glad you liked the changes to the Terrace, and yes you are correct in that you don’t need a car in Jersey, the buses are clean and punctual, but if you do have one we are one of the few hotels with adequate parking.

Thank you once again.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

When they say its on the beach they mean ON THE BEACH.
We stayed in a standard room and it compared very well with Celtic Manor ect.
The staff are cery well trained and it would seem that if you are within 10 feet of them then you are greeted with a smile and " good morning " .Nothing is too much trouble. I just happened to mention that i had only brought my IPAD and not my laptop so could not get on line in my room. 3 minutes later a wifi router was installed. NO FUSS NO HANGING AROUND FOR A TIP.JUST A KNOCK ON THE DOOR AND PLUGED IT IN! EVEN WAITED WHILE THE PASSWORD WAS ACCEPTED.
This may seem trivial but I didnt ask for it and this was just one example of many ways that the staff make you feel special.
Well dane and thankyou.

Room Tip: try for a beach view.ITS AMAZING
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Hi

Thank you for your review about the hotel on tripadvisor.

I think I need to point out that we aren’t related as some people might think that we are after such a glowing review. Thank you for the comparison to the 5 Star Celtic Manor. It is great to see that you feel our rooms are up to that standard. We do hope to have the WiFi in all the rooms next year but the routers/boosters are a temporary solution.

Thank you once again for your very kind comments.

Oxfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed here for 7 nights and would recommend it. The location is perfect, right on the glorious beach. The hotel is sandwiched between the road through St Brelade and the beach. We started on a roadside room facing the car park which was exceptionally quiet. We upgraded to a seaview half way though for the view. The rooms are not over-spacious but perfectly adequate. Good room service with everything restocked twice each day if you have the turn-down service. Excellent breakfast in the Crystal Room with views over the bay: fruit, cereals, cold meats and cheese, hot buffet and hot items that you could order at the table. We only ate one evening meal there on the first night, preferring to go out to local restaurants for the atmosphere and better value. Free wifi but not accessible from our room at the end of the building. Good spa with indoor pool, sauna and steam room. Gym was small with tired equipment. There was a corporate event for 2 days which meant relocating breakfast and dinner away from the Crystal Room but it was well managed and didn't bother us. Staff were courteous and responsive. Two other comments. The much recommended St Brelades Bay Hotel is on the landside of and adjacent to the road. And we had intended to hire a car but found the bus service perfectly adequate and great fun. Looking forward to going back sometime.

Hi

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on Tripadvisor, and a thank you for the positive comments about the hotel. I was pleased that you had the opportunity to upgrade to a sea view; we do have three room types excluding the suites. I believe that you upgraded to our Executive Ocean View, we do have slightly larger rooms with our deluxe ocean view rooms.

We are reviewing the Wifi service as you have said it is currently only available in the public areas, hopefully we will be adding this to all bedrooms next year, we do have some booster packs available at reception.

I have taken on board your comments about the gym equipment, this is something else that we hope to review next year, everything is in perfect working order and the gym is never crowded.

Thank you once again for your comments.

General Manager.

Been to L'Horizon Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!