“Good hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in St. Aubin
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights at the end of season. Stunning views from the hotel and good location with the option of the bus just below the hotel gardens to get into St Helier or St Aubins of a night if you want to relax and have a few drinks. Hotel rooms very comfortable, especially the beds, but they do feel a little dated. I think the bedrooms have been refurbished recently but to the original 80's styling? I think the hotel would have more wow factor if they had been done in a 70's retro modern/contemporary style. Staff were all lovely and very helpful. Breakfast had a wide choice of cooked or continental foods, cooked breakfast was good on the first morning when a hot buffet style was laid out but not so good (surprisingly) when cooked to order on the remaining mornings. The sausages had definitely been microwaved as part of the cooking process on these mornings. Also disappointed that the mushrooms were either cooked from frozen or out of a tin, definitely not fresh. Small gripes but all hotels need to up their game now with quality food produce. Overall a good stay and would recommend as a good base.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_CristinaJersey, Manager at Hotel Cristina, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear EastCoastBrit,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review, it's always appreciated.

I'm pleased that overall you liked the hotel, the stunning views and the handy, central location. Our bedrooms haven't been refurbished that recently although they have had updated paint work, new doors and door fittings. I will take your design notes on board for when we do refurbish them.
Our team members are lovely and I'm pleased you found everyone helpful.
Like you, I am surprised that the quality of food deteriorated when we switched to plated service rather than buffet for the last few days of the season due to low guest numbers. I think our breakfast chef was too used to providing food in larger numbers for the buffet and was thrown out of his comfort zone. I would be very surprised and disappointed if a microwave had been used for the sausages but will be keeping an eye in future.

Thank you once again for your review. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Cristina in the near future.

251 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Burgess Hill, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Comfortable and clean hotel with great views out over the sea on the south side of the island. We ate in the hotel on the first of 4 nights and were well impressed with the quality of the food - if a little pricey compared with other places to eat.
A little dissappointed with the rather to cliched breakfast selection of 'Full English', Toast, Pastries or cereal - would have preferred dairy-free options and something like granola - but then you can't please all the people all the time :-)
Free water in the room is a must Hotel Cristina so please sort this out for future guests.
Very friendly and welcoming staff.
My real gripe though - I do not sleep well at the best of times but Hotel Cristina could do well by investing in some decent quality pillows - not very good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Andy H,

Thanks for the review and sorry for not responding sooner. I'm very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel clean and comfortable with good quality food. Thank you for your comments regarding our breakfast offering. I will take them on board and may look to "tweak" our buffet in 2014.
I don't think we will be offering free bottled water in the bedrooms. Our tap water is perfectly safe and bottled water is available from the bar (but we do charge for it unfortunately).
Each winter we check every pillow and replace any that need replacing. We are currently sourcing a new type of pillow.

Thank you again for taking the time to post a review. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future so that you can witness/enjoy any improvements made.

Hitchin, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

The hotel is well located and provides good facilities, and in general excellent service. The staff are friendly and extremely helpful. However, the restaurant continues to be lack lustre. We stay there most years for this reason alone and were determined to give the restaurant another chance. It started badly on our first night - the waiter lost the docket it seems. The service was slow on most nights that we ate there with variable but overall average dishes. Its such a shame in spite of a first class restaurant manager. The restaurants at sister hotels Golden Sands and especially the Sommerville proved much better for standard and quality of meal.

Room Tip: We prefer 2nd floor to get access from the overflow car park which we like to use
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_CristinaJersey, Manager at Hotel Cristina, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear JWDC46,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, always appreciated.
I'm very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and continue to return to the Cristina but was surprised by your comment about the speed of service, a comment I haven't received for a long time but I am making improvements in our restaurant and kitchen which I hope you will be able to witness next year. Thank you for your comment regarding James, our first class restaurant manager.

I look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Berkshire U.K.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Stayed here for three nights at the end of September. The hotel has great views over St Aubin's bay. You can walk to the beach down through the hotel gardens in about 7-10 mins. If you like walking St Aubin's harbour can be reached in 40mins. The hotel is clean and tidy and the staff are friendly and polite. We stayed in a standard room which was adequate for our needs although we found the bathroom on the small side, shower had very low pressure and the extractor fan was very noisy. Breakfasts were enjoyable, we didn't eat evening meals in the hotel so cannot comment.
Good experience all round.

Dear triple7

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I'm very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and will look into the shower pressure in your room and the extractor fan. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Cristina in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Just had a lovely night , got the offer, with a night and a dinner , both lovely, nice location , great view , staff is very friendly and always there for , realy recommend this location ! Il certainly be back next year !

• Stayed November 2012
Dear flroctavian,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, I'm very pleased that you enjoyed your short stay and hope that when I welcome you back you will be staying for longer.

Crawley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights on a short break. We found the staff to be very helpful & friendly, the room spotlessly clean, both the hot & cold buffet breakfast delicious with plenty of choice - in fact I find it difficult to critcise the hotel. If I wanted to nit pick then I would say that the water pressure in the shower is poor but this would not stop me revisiting.
Our room did not have a seaview, we looked out over the carpark. It's not neccessary to have a view especially later in the year when the mornings are misty & the evenings dark. We preferred to enjoy the view from the breakfast room, bar & terrace and spent our days out & about in the car.
We had no problem either entering or exiting the property in the car.
Bar meals were well priced, delicious & relaxing.
Due to the slightly elevated position of the hotel this may not suit you if you are infirm, without a vehicle & anxious to explore the island. Having said that, I noticed that there were organized tours available so it is worth making an enquiry.

Dear Wendy T,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, I am really pleased that you enjoyed your holiday and find it difficult to find fault - wonderful news.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Cristina in the near future.

Letchworth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Stayed for a week in a ground floor double with a sea view at the end of the summer season. Great view over St Aubin's bay from the hotel and room although better to get a 1st or 2nd floor room - no direct access to the pool from the ground floor room. Restaurant and bar did suitable food for a hotel but the breakfast buffet is basic, not as well prepared as the evening meals we had and needed more topping up. Overall standards of room fitting and cleanliness was good although our double bed was a twin joined together which means you can feel where they join. Staff were very pleasant and helpful. Hotel laid on some evening events like a BBQ and meet the staff drinks which seemed a nice personal touch to the hotel stay. Car parking was fine with an overflow at the back which did allow access into the back of the hotel. Location means a car is best if you want to eat out in the evenings. However it did allow good access out to the rest of the island. I will stay there again if I return on holiday.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view on the 1st floor (one up from the pool level) or higher for best views.
Dear Lusaka-UK,

Thank you for your review and your handy tips for future visitors. I am very pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to teh Cristina in the near future.

Steve Hayes

Been to Hotel Cristina? Share your experiences!