“Lovely B&B!!” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Limerick Road, Newcastle West, Ireland   |
Portland, Michigan
“Lovely B&B!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Eileen was the kindest, sweetest woman and we had a lovely time at The Orchard. Food is delicious, beds were comfortable and she was more than willing to answer any questions we had. Everything was very clean and well taken care of. It felt more like staying with a close friend. We will be back!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
263Eileen, Owner at The Orchard, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear Mandy,

Thank you so very much for staying.
We had some great chats.
Of course I thrive on praise.
Looking forward to having you stay again and catch up on our conversations.
Eileen.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Eileen was phenomenal!!! This is an older home and will need some renovations eventually (water pressure very low, etc) but this did not detract from Eileen's friendliness and world class service. Breakfast was out of this world. She even took time to teach some of our family and friends some recipes. Highly recommended.

Stayed November 2013
263Eileen, Owner at The Orchard, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear f15blade,

Thank you for the lovely comments.
Sorry about the water pressure.
I still haven't got high pressure shower and only use gravity flow to power the shower.
This is normal in most Irish homes.
As regards the praise for the care I take of my customers, I really appreciate it.
I am also glad that you enjoyed Foleys Pub for your evvening meal.
They are great and always take care of my customers.
If you are ever back this way again, please do drop in and we will have a chat.
Thank you for staying.
Limerick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I stayed frequently with Eileen and her family at the Orchard, Newcastle West while I was travelling with work, and I have to say, I have never encountered service like this. Eileen is the most welcoming host I have ever met, and the rooms were always spotlessly clean. great location, in the "gateway to Kerry" town of Newcastle west, and nice and secure form women travelling on their own. But the way I was treated was simply outstanding, I always felt right at home, and loved the breakfast every morning, especially the flatbread freshly baked! Highly recommend this lovely homely B and b.

Room Tip: enjoy the cake every night!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
263Eileen, Owner at The Orchard, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Liz,

It was lovely having you every week during the Summer.
I felt very relaxed having you in my home.
Eventhough The Orchard is a Bed and Breakfast, it is still my home.

You were such a lovely person to care for and I appreciated your humour.

Thank you for the lovely comments.

Best regards in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

If your looking to stay in an "old worldly", traditional Irish B&B then The Orchard is definitely a "must stay" if you happen to be staying in this part of Ireland. My room was clean and had all the comforts of home. A nice cup of tea and some lovely home made cake was on offer on arrival which was much needed!! Eileen the host is very attentive, is very helpful and is the source of many lovely additional touches to the B&B. Her love of cooking is evident and with home made breads, cakes and jams sampled during my stay, these all proved to enhance my stay, leaving a smile on my face as I drove home.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
263Eileen, Owner at The Orchard, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Tracey,

It was lovely to have you stay.
I enjoyed our chat.
I appreciate a person who likes home baking.
Did you try baking the Guinness Cake?

Thank you for your comments, they are much appreciated.

Best regards,

Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I stayed here this summer with 8 family members and it became like home for the week we stayed. We had odd schedules and moved rooms a few times, and Eileen took it all in stride. Eileen is a wonderful host, delicious griddle cake baker, and kind, helpful woman! This past week I bought some griddle cake mix and I know it will be nothing even close to the breakfast I had each morning at The Orchard! Next time we're back to visit family we will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Con... Family,

Thank you for your comments.
Yes we had fun.
I have lived most of my life here in Ireland but this past July was something else.
The heat!!! Wasn't it something else? I searched Newcastle West, Kenmare and Killorglin for a fan for room 1 but they were all sold out. The curtains were closed everyday to keep out the heat. Usually we are trying to bring in the heat but last summer we were keeping it out.

It is very hard to know what kind of rooms and what combinations of nieces and nephews will share, but we managed fine. You were most accommodating. Thank you for that.

The party you had was still talked about for many weeks afterwards. Everyone was enjoyed themselves.
The cake I organised was terrific and I still have the edible flowers. I just cannot eat them!

Your family were really great. I am so glad that I met them and they are so proud of you and you of them.

Take care in the future.

Thank you again for the lovely comments.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I have had the pleasure to stay at The Orchard twice. The first was on my first trip to Ireland with my wife and two children in August 2006, and the second with my parents in June 2010. The inn is warm and cozy, the meals are fantastic, and the host family are wonderful people. We have had many great conversations with Eileen and her family. I hope to stay with them again on a future trip.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Chris,

It was great to get an email from you last week.
I remember you so well.
You will be more than welcome next year.
I have changed my recipe for Soda Bread so I hope you will like it.
Also, I make Griddle Bread for breakfast and everyone likes it.
I know you will too.

Looking forward to seeing you next year and thank you for your lovely comments.

Anchorage, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We missed Eileen but she was wonderful even by email. But her asst Josie was extremely warm and Accomodating. Rooms are small and Beth's even smaller. But clean and warm. Breakfast and fresh baked goods where terrific. A bit hard to find if you are driving. Facility is 2 stars but staff is a 4.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear William,

Thank you so very much for your comments.

Yes it was a pity I didn't meet you but my 86 year old mother had to be attended to and I knew I left you in capable hands. Mother is fine again and will be off to Germany next week. She is going over to my brother.

As regards the size of the bedrooms in the house, the house in 100 years old and believe me when I say that they are really large for their time. Most bedrooms from that period, would only have a bed in it and not much else. If you didn't have much clothes, then why would you have a wardrobe? But by todays standards, they are average size but maybe some people are confusing my Country Home with a Manor. The Manor would have room to have a suite of furniture in the bedroom.

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Ireland.

Thank you again.

Eileen

Been to The Orchard? Share your experiences!