“An excellent place to stay.” 5 of 5 stars

You added The Orchard to your Saves list
The Orchard
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Limerick Road, Newcastle West, Ireland   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Launceston
“An excellent place to stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

We were travelling with our son-in-law and three young grandchildren to meet our daughter, who was sailing into Dublin. We stayed for a few days with Eileen Murphy.
She is an excellent hostess and definitely went 'out of her way' to help us. Our hired car broke down at the end of a long journey, luckily only a short distance from 'The Orchard'. Five of us walked from the car to be met by Eileen, with coffee and delicious home-made cake. On hearing our story, she immediately got her car out to fetch our bags and then took me into town to pick up a meal for everyone.
From the very start she and her family made us feel extremely welcome. It was the children's first stay at a B&B, they loved the breakfasts and we were all well set up for a good day out.
We met our daughter in Dublin and plan to return to Ireland and The Orchard in the future.
Peter and Sandra Sleeman, Launceston, Cornwall.

• Liked — Mrs. Murphy and her breakfasts
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

58 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2008

Eileen is knowledgeable, friendly, and a VERY good cook! She made us feel welcome and comfortable on our first night in a new place. We were traveling with my 80 yr old Mom, and our two sons, ages 14 and 24. My husband and I had our own comfortable room and bathroom, my mother had her own room and bath, and our 2 sons had a separate room and bath. All the rooms were clean , quiet, and comfortable. We were met with open arms and homemade scones, preserves, and tea, and we were served a full Irish breakfast in the morning. The countryside surrounding the home is beautiful, and the village just down the road is quaint. We feel that her prices were very reasonable, especially compared to the rest of our trip, and what you get for the cost. We highly recommend Eileen, and her wonderful B & B "The Orchard"
Dr. Ken Rogers and Family
San Diego, CA. USA

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

If you look up the words hospitality and friendliness in the dictionary and have stayed at 'The Orchard' you will be disappointed not to see a photo of Eileen. Eileen runs a wonderfully warm and cosy B&B and from the moment you've tasted the homemade bread and jam with lashings of hot tea, you'll know you've found somewhere special.

The atmosphere lends itself to conversation and a chance meeting with a few Aussie's in the house, set the tone for an excellent evening in town with live Irish music, craic agus ceoil. If you need a well earned drive break on a trip to or from Dublin (or anywhere else for that matter) or simply want to try the homemade bread, drop into the Orchard. Excellent stay.

• Liked — The Hostess
  • Disliked — Having to Leave
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2007

We flew into Shannon Airport late and arrived at The Orchard a bit later than expected. We were tired and a bit stressed (to be expected when travelling with a 2 year old)
No worries. Eileen is a phenomenal hostess and made sure my family didn't want for anything. A warm home and comfortable surroundings, Eileen is a fountain of information on places to go and see, and if she isn't sure, she will find out the info for you.
Rooms are cozy, clean and very comfortable. Hot showers and full Irish breakfasts or lighter fare if you so choose. Rates are more than reasonable.
Eileen's family are very friendly, Pat is a farmer in the area and her daughter Eimear always had time to play with our young son.
I have had the opportunity to travel to many places in the world and The Orchard is one of the nicest places for a traveller to rest and not have to worry about anything.
I look forward to the opportunity to visit there again.
Keep up the good work Eileen, in a world where business is business and the almighty dollar has a grip on us all, you and The Orchard are an oasis.
Thanks Again-All the Best.

PS.- Eileen makes some of the best home made bread around. Thanks for the recipe.

• Liked — Cleanliness, Quiet, Great food
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Downers Grove
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2006

On our first night in Ireland, we stayed at The Orchard on our way down to Killarney. After a long day of travel from Chicago, and the day at Bunratty, then dinner at Knappogue Castle, we met Eileen, our B&B hostess at The Orchard. She was very warm and welcoming. She offered us tea and scones when we arrived which were delicious.

Our two teenage boys asked as we got off the plane, "what hotel are we staying at tonight?" When we told them we would stay in a person's home not a hotel, they said come on Mom you must be joking. After our night at Eileen's, they couldn't wait to try the next B&B. It was the perfect place to start our Ireland journey.

Our family room accomodation- 2 singles, 1 double - was very clean and cheerfully decorated. The ensuite bathroom with shower was also very nice.

Fantastic full Irish breakfast!

Our time at The Orchard was great and on our next trip to Ireland, we will definitely stop in at Eileen's. She truly gives a 100,000 Irish Welcomes!

Been to The Orchard? Share your experiences!