“Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Newcastle West
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2014

We arrived here at almost 9pm after a long day travelling, had not booked and called in on the off chance and I am so glad we did! Friendly, helpful staff, great room, clean tidy bathroom and a beautiful breakfast. Really could not fault

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Tra Li
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

Had two main courses and three kid's portions and must say that the quality and service was very good. Total came to €42 and we found that this was a reasonable price. Therefore, we would return again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Galway, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

We Stopped in Courtenay Lodge RESTAURANT for a dinner on our way back from Killarney.

We ordered Pizza and Sea Food Chowders,

Chowders arrived very fast and were tasty - it was a big portion so big thumb up for them!
However we had to wait over 30 minutes for pizza which at the end was a bit slack-baked...

It wasn't bad - but after waiting such a long time I was hoping for something spectacular...

Our friends were happy with their meals.

The service was very friendly and the prices were more than affordable!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

I arrived after a long journey to be greeted by a friendly face. The receptionist gave me a huge room because I was staying 7 nights and she wanted me to have space. Very kind of her
The room itself was clean, with fresh towels every day and fresh linen every other. TV was small but I didn't really use it so that didn't bother me. Shower was adequate and more than served its purpose. Great free wi-fi with very good connection.
Breakfast had good variety and they were willing to make variations to the menu of your choice. All staff that I met, and that was a fair few over the week, were all very friendly and welcoming.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

We hadn't booked and arrived at 9pm hoping to get a room - we got a big family room (2 singles and a double) for the 3 of us - 2 adults and a 7yr old for €89 including breakfast. The receptionist was very nice and offered to get us sandwiches is we were hungry but we had already eaten so we declined the offer. She immediately told us of the bar license problem but we wouldn't have gone to the bar anyway so that didn't bother us. The room was huge as was the bathroom - no complaints there at all. Breakfast was very impressive and the waiting staff were very nice. Free wifi and a free newspaper in the morning! All in all I thought it was very good value and would go back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I'll start with stating that my expectations were low and met.

Location was good if you want go be in town.

This hotel (motel?) is old and shows. TV is tiny and up in a corner.

Our room was very large and comfortably fit 3 beds. Is dated (very) and hallways stuffy.

Bathroom is large but shower curtain doesn't reach far down enough. Soap tray sticks out and is close to shower head so you have to shower sideways. Surprisingly more water does not get get out. No extraction.

Restaurant Breakfast service ended one day at 11 am then the next at 10 am (no reason given) although after insistence they did extend. Food was mediocre and licor license suspended so couldn't have a drink at night at pub.

Will try Devon Inn next time although it's a bit farther down the road.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from Parking lot
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Letterkenny, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed at the Courtenay Lodge a few weeks ago. I had initially intended to spend four nights at this hotel - but one night was enough. We checked out early in the morning after one night and stayed in Limerick City for the remainder of our break away. The room, while good in size, was very shabby, the walls need a good coat of paint, the sofa has seen better days, the carpet had a big bleach stain near the toilet door and the curtains were very poor and nearly hanging off. The breakfast was a 'full Irish and was satisfactory. Upon check in, we were disappointed to learn that the hotel had no license to sell alcohol. After a long drive we were looking forward to a relaxing glass of something or other! I feel I should have been informed of this when I booked the room over the phone the day previous. I did say this to the gentleman who checked us in and he rather matter of factly told us we should have been told on the phone. We were a party of two adults, one four year old and a baby and paid €90 for the room with breakfast. I feel this was expensive given the poor state of the room and the poor facilities and that I got an excellent modern room in Limerick City for my family for €3 more. Unfortunately I will not be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Newcastle West hotels

Been to Courtenay Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!