“Mother's Day Weekend” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hunter's Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rathnew
Hunter's Hotel
You added Hunter's Hotel to your Saves list
Newrath Bridge, Rathnew, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rathnew
Tsilivi, Greece
“Mother's Day Weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband and I took my mother to Hunter's for a two night stay, (9 and 10 March 2013). The staff were all very friendly and helpful, our two bedrooms were large, clean and very attractive. On entry we found a roaring fire lit in each bedroom (wonderful on a cold and wet afternoon!). The central heating in the upstairs rooms does need some attention as it doesn't let much heat through (specially noticeable in the mornings). The dinners and breakfasts were absolutely delicious and each night a hot water bottle was placed in the bed whilst we were enjoying dinner, a very thoughtful touch.

Overall, the three of us felt that Hunter's was a charming hotel with a beautiful garden. We were very well looked after and would definitely re-book in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband booked us in for afternoon tea yesterday for Mother's Day, with our two children age 4 and 7. We arrived on time but no sign of our table being ready. We were left waiting in the bar. Why we couldn't have had the afternoon tea there, I don't know. We had to ask 3 times when our table would be ready. Finally we were brought down to an empty room at the back of the hotel. I nearly died when we went it. Obviously a private lunch had been held there and it still hadn't been cleared away. The large table was strewn with dirty cutlery, plates, chairs pushed out, dirty napkins, food on the floor, wine stains. On the way in we went walked by a table groaning with dirty glasses and empty wine bottles. Lovely first impression.

They hastily put a trestle table together for us, covered it with a table cloth and brought in our afternoon tea which was actually fine. But noone ever asked how it was. There was one other family in there too who seemed to be very disappointed with the room for what should have been a special occasion. The big table was half cleared when we were there but never fully done. I couldn't even put my bag on the floor as it was so littered in debris from the previous diners.

So a special occasion turned into something I would rather forget. I cannot believe they actually did this to us. I didn't say anything at the time as it was a treat organised for me and I didn't want to ruin it for my family. But honestly Hunters Hotel, how can you serve people late in a filthy room where clearly we were put as an afterthought? Everyone had booked in advance, so surely you could have planned for the bookings. The staff were clearly run off their feet and I can't blame them.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Party of 6 for mother's day lunch. (2 kids aged 4 & 7) First visit. Arrived 30 minutes early so we could relax in the bar area and have a drink. As soon as we sat down we were asked to move to the dining room. I mentioned that we would like to have a drink first. We were told we could order them and take them to the dining room. So I ordered a round. We waited some time so I walked over towards the bar area and noticed our drinks sitting on a tray on the bar, waiting for someone to serve them. Rather than wait any longer I collected them myself. We duly moved to the dining room as requested.

We were "met" at the door (not greeted) by a member of the wait staff and shown to our table. No hello. No smile. No greeting whatsoever. She went off and left us there. 15 mins later another server came to our table..( No smile)...to take our order. I told her perhaps we should be given a menu first. (We had been given a look at them in the bar area previously but we didn't look at them there) We were given the menus, I asked for menus for the children and was told they could do small portions from the main menu. Suited us perfect.

We put our order in and began to settle in to enjoy our lunch. Starters were very tasty indeed. Main courses next. All of our main courses were cold. Cold plates. Cold food. They came to silver serve the vegetables and ran out halfway around the table. She said she would return with more. That was the last we saw of her. So half the party got ZERO vegetables. The portions were laughable. I was actually thinking... "Did she take our order as half portions'? Apparently not. One of the party had the roast Beef. She got 1.5 slices (yes one and a half) slices the thickness of a rasher!! I do not jest! The leg of lamb was overcooked and carved from a rolled joint rather than straight from the lamb leg. Not good. We were never checked by anybody to see if we were happy. We were all finished eating in 10 minutes.

Plates were cleared and we were given dessert menus. I asked for ice cream for the kids and was asked "one scoop or two?" .. seriously?? They arrived just 2 scoops on a plate.. nothing else.. no choc sauce.. I again asked server for it and she said "The chef said there was no chocolate sauce" ... Mother's day would usually prompt a restaurant that there would be kids there...ice cream and choc sauce would be an obvious no brainer.

We finished up and I asked for the bill. My jaw dropped when I noted they had charged me 16.50 for the 7 year olds 1/4 bowl of soup, bit of chicken and 2 scoops of ice cream and 12.00 for a 4 year olds (no starter) !!!! That overshadowed the outrageous price of 33.50 per adult for half plates of cold food -minus sides (as half of us got none!) By the way, the mash potato was sublime. We got one scoop each!
I went to reception and asked for the manager, as I waited the gentleman that was behind the bar earlier was passing me, and I asked was he the manager. He said he was not, but declined to say who he was. I asked was he the owner and he stated he was.

So I told him how on earth can he justify charging those prices for children. He immediately blamed it on an error on the waitress's part! She was standing there taking the blame for HIS pricing policy! He took my receipt and adjusted it and asked me would 19.00 for the two kids be ok. I said yes, thank you. I handed him my card and he seemed to take more interest in looking at my name on the card than asking me anything else! He charged me 202euro plus cents.. I was not asked anything about our lunch experience. NOTHING!! ... Not once did anybody enquire. So I decided why should I bother enlightening him. He doesn't seem interested. I wonder is it because he didn't wish to open a can of worms? I would imagine that it's a regular problem. (The table of 8 beside us were complaining about the portion sizes to the waiter as we were leaving!)

So I'll enlighten you here sir. The service was completely disjointed, erratic (Still had main course sauces, cutlery etc., on the table during coffee) UNFRIENDLY, and not a bit welcoming. Without exception, the staff here require some serious people skills, not to mention a lesson in smiling. But I guess they follow the example they are given. It's such a shame that this beautiful venue cares less about getting returning customers or even ensuring the ones they have would actually consider it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed here recently with my husband and toddler son. Had an absolutely lovely time. The hotel is very old fashioned which we loved! Even has the creaky floorboards :-) Our room was fab, very big with a fireplace (which they lit at night). The staff were really nice and friendly. The food was delicious, really enjoyed it. Would definitely recommend this to anyone who likes a hotel that's not ultra modern and has a bit of character!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We took my partner's parents here to celebrate a major wedding anniversary of theirs; we had a standard room and the parents had a superior room and we stayed for two nights; generally we liked the hotel and were glad we went, but we felt that there were a few areas for improvement.

What we liked:
- the staff were very friendly
- the hotel building has loads of character
- the bedrooms are large and spacious
- the beds were a good size and very comfortable
- the superior bedroom had an open fire
- placing hot water bottles in your bed at turn-down time and lighting your fire in the superior room was a nice touch
- the restaurant is capable of great food - the food on the first night was excellent
- the restaurant has a good and sensibly priced wine list
- the toilets in the public areas were clean and well maintained

What we felt could have been improved upon:
- a twin room was actually a double with one huge bed and a single bed added in the corner
- the room keys were a bit stiff to use unless you had very youthful hands
- sound proofing between the bedrooms wasn't great - we could hear our neighbours flushing their toilet
- it would have been nice to have tea and coffee making facilities in the bedrooms
- cleanliness in the bedrooms could have been improved a little, eg bed side tables were in need of dusting
- the showers in both rooms weren't of great quality and a little under-pressured
- the toilet in one of the rooms took an age to noisily refill, so if used during the night was a bit of nuisance
- we had to hunt out reception! a sign would have been handy; likewise for the bar, lounge, etc
- the main stairs would have benefited from a bit more lighting
- likewise the bar, where you read the restaurant menu, was a bit dim and would have benefited from a few table lights
- the tables in the bar were in need of varnishing, and some of the chairs had seen better days; generally the hotel appears to be due for a bit of refurbishment
- the bar was staffed infrequently which meant a lot of waiting for drinks; by the second night we found a bell to attract the attention of staff which helped but again a sign above the bell would have been helpful
- whilst very impressive on the first night, the food on the second night was a little disappointing; not poor as such, but certainly not up to the standard of the previous night, and with a similar sauce being added to all the meals whatever you had ordered
- although we did visit in winter, we felt that the gardens could have been a little better presented

Room Tip: If staying during winter the open fire in the superior room is worth the extra.
Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Having read the glowing TripAdvisor reviews for this Hotel, my wife & I decided on a three-day break there, we had some difficulty in finding it in the first place and the entrance/exit to the car-park in on a very dangerous corner. While the Hotel has a certain "old world charm" we felt that the customer service from Management, left a lot to be desired, with no real welcome on arrival or advice during our stay. The quality of the food was good with an excellent breakfast but we felt that the dinner menu was overpriced. The bedroom was large & comfortable. Service at the bar was poor and unfortunately the Hotel had no leisure facilities & no effort was made to ensure our stay was memorable. We were unfortunate with dreadful weather during our stay. A car is essential for sightseeing as the hotel is located in an isolated area.

Room Tip: Hotel fronts on to a road, so rooms at rear would be quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Family and friends gathered in jan 2013 for a celebration dinner. We chose The Garden Room in Hunter's Hotel, a small private dining room where we could all get together without disturbing any other guests.
Simply put it was a wonderful evening. The staff could not have been nicer and the food was delicious. One of our party had dietary considerations which I had mentioned when booking and this was incorporated into the menu. The room was beautifully laid out with flowers on the table and a roaring fire, it was like having a meal in a beautiful elegant home.
If you are looking for a special venue for a celebration or simply a large family gathering, look no further, this is the perfect place.....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hunter's Hotel? Share your experiences!