“Couldn't have asked for more!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Parkview Hotel to your Saves list
Parkview Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Main Street, Newtown Mount Kennedy Wicklow, Ireland   |
harrogate, england
“Couldn't have asked for more!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Location: Hotel is located in a pleasant enough though unmemorable small town. However, Newtonmountkennedy is only a 30-min drive from Dublin (and ports) and so is well located for city centre visit or for enjoying the Wicklow hills/coastline and other sites of Ireland.

Hotel: A small, friendly hotel with a pleasant bar and restaurant. The bar area was a friendly and relaxing place to sit at the end of a long day's site seeing. Normal bar prices applied rather than hotel bar prices. The staff were all, without exception, pleasant, friendly and quietly attentive.

Rooms: Large, airy, well appointed and immaculately clean. Opening juliet balcony doors. Large, comfortable bed with clean, white bed linen. Bathroom was also of a good size, very clean and with nice shampoos etc, which were replaced daily.

Food: The breakfast was very good, starting with a self-service buffet area and good selection of fruits, yogurts, cereals, juice, toast etc and then a cooked breakfast served to your table. Most people i think had the full fry, which looked very nice but we wanted poached/boiled eggs, which were freshly and perfectly cooked to order.
We had an evening meal as part of our deal, which was pleasant enough - a bit buttery for me, but i appreciate that that is probably just my personal taste and otherwise the food was fairly imaginative and nicely presented. Nice touches such as complimentary bread basket (with lovely soda bread) and jug of chilled water brought to table without having to request it. Very acceptable choice of reasonably priced wine.

We were very pleased we chose this hotel. It was extremely good value and we had a very comfortable and enjoyable stay. It made a very good base for what we wanted to do and we will definitely be coming back again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and i attended a family Wedding at The Parkview Hotel Newtownmountkennedy in Wicklow. Beautiful Hotel. Staff were very pleasant and helpful. Rooms very clean . We thought it was a beautiful place to stay and the views are amazing. Definitly would like to stay in the Parkview Hotel again.. Would recommend this Hotel to everyone :)

Room Tip: All rooms are a good choice.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Lovely hotel, very comfortable and a quirky sunken bar that works very well. We didn't eat in the restaurant but the bar meal we had was very good. We were late arriving but there was still plenty of room in the car park.

Our only problem was our agent didn't sort the booking with the hotel properly, but the receptionist had it sorted in minutes - just the level of service needed after a long day. We will definately us this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed for one night before an event the following day. Very helpful staff and a large, clean room. Only downside is that check in is quite late (3pm), however, this means check out is also later - so it depends on your priorities! If you're visiting the area, I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed here for my nieces wedding Great place for a wedding lovely outdoor seating area and most rooms have a balcony and look out on to a little river a lovely walkway...very quiet town nice for a couples get away...but if your a city slicker like me I felt I was miles away from the city even though its only a 30 min drive

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed in this hotel as we were attending a conference. Couldnt help but book a suite since the price was so reasonalble. We would normally stay in at least a 4 star (fussy, I know ??!!) but on checking out the website....it did look nice.

So we arrived in Newtownmountkennedy (Jeez that was a mouthfull !!), and checked into the hotel. The reception area was nice, and the receptionist was very friendly and polite. Already I am pleased, so I peep into the lounge area and look forward to a drink there later.

We went up to our suite, which was as big and as nice as the website described. As always when staying away, I look forward to getting right into the experience. I immediately looked for our comfy robes and slippers (as stated on the website) only to discover that they were not there. We phoned reception and they were not aware of robes and slippers !!!!..........but called housekeeping to check it out ??

We did get a knock on our door a very short time later, from a very nice and friendly girl explaining that they did not have any slippers but handed us a couple of bathrobes. Her friendliness completely made up for the lack of slippers !!

The room was huge, with an amazing bathroom with jacuzzi..........heaven !! It had a fridge, and an ice bucket with tonges, so if you did bring a bottle of wine / champange you had somewhere to cool it. Also if you required they would stock the mini bar too.

With a trouser press, ironing board etc....we wanted for nothing. Little things like the beds not made to perfection, or not so little for me.......... the pillows being hard and flat, that showed it up to be a 3* hotel. But I could overlook the little things as bathroom was magnificant.

From reading reviews here I learned that the food in the hotel was not great. Someone suggested the pub down the road, which we tried. We had a couple of drinks there, and some food (which was really not good at all, even though the staff were nice).

We then returned to the hotel, and I couldnt help noticing other people eating.....and their food looked amazing. I was sorry that I didnt stick to the hotel, as it did look really nice.

One of the highlights for me was the bar area (sad,...I know ??) but the bar staff / area was sunken into the floor, so the customers sitting on very comfy leather bucket chairs at the bar, were level with the bar staff !!! You would have to see it........I loved it.

So finally.....breakfast was pure class. It was waiter service for your breakfast (this is not normal 3* at all) and a full Irish breakfast was delivered to your table, with tea and coffee. You also had a choice of cereals and fruit and pastries, to fill you up for the day.

So all in all, this was a really lovely 3* experience, as I didnt expect it to have such attention to detail. The thing that makes this hotel stand out.............was its staff. They treated us like 5* guests..........I like that.

Yes I would recommend this hotel, the staff make it wonderful. There is no leisure centre, which can be off putting. But its a quaint country village, full of charm and beauty.

Im not sure I will have a reason to visit this hotel again.....but if I do, I will really look forward to it.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite, its not that much more expensive......but worth it.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Monaghan, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stayed here last week as I was attending a family event in the area. I got a great deal on booking.com. €44 for a double room without breakfast. The room was large,the bed was superking size and very comfortable. The room and bathroom was spotless. We had drinks and eat two starters in the bar. The food was lovely, I had the salmon fish cakes which was served with a lovely fresh salad. The bar staff were very friendly and chatted about the local area. The bar is modern with very comfortable seating. I would definitely stay in this hotel again. It was an exceptional hotel rate for the quality of the hotel

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Parkview Hotel? Share your experiences!