“Too many kids for a Spa resort!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of BrookLodge & Macreddin Village

You added BrookLodge & Macreddin Village to your Saves list
BrookLodge & Macreddin Village
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Macreddin Village, Near Aughrim | County Wicklow, Macreddin Village, Ireland (Formerly BrookLodge & Wells Spa)   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ireland
“Too many kids for a Spa resort!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2007

We stayed in Brooklodge for a night in July.Having been there the year before and really enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere around the pool/restaurant etc, we were hugely disappointed when we returned this year. The restaurant was run-amuck with children screaming and shouting both at dinner and breakfast time. Athough children are not allowed enter the pool area for the most part of the day, definitely our stay was affected by them.You don't expect this sort of noise and disruption of a spa resort hotel. I think I would speak for both couples without children, as well as couples on a break from their own.

I was then recently horrified to hear that there is now a charge of €40 per day in order to use the hotel pool/jacuzzi/sauna etc if on a mid-week deal. I think this is outrageous, it was never there before and during mid-week anyway the pool area is never busy. Between this new fee as well as the visible increase of children around the hotel versus last year, I think this hotel has become greedy and will risk loosing the great reputation it has held up to recently.

Stayed July 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Northern Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2007

The hotel it self is very nice set in lovely surroundings, and is well finished. although its a little isolated out in the middle of the country side. We arrived and got settled in before going to look where we were going to eat that evening. There were two choices the strawberry tree which offered an expensive set price menu or actons pub which we were told offered pub food, as we had ate in a wonderful restaraunt the night before in Dublin we thought we would prefer a more pub food menu so we headed to actons.

The menu had several selections I chose chicken satey and my wife chose a beef dish, what we had not realised was that these were basically pre made dishes in trays which were then heated up in the microwave there was no choice of rice or chips just a pototo salad or pasta mix. Basically if it couldn't be microwaved they didn't seem to have it! and there were no lights just candels so we could hardly make out what we were eating - the meal was awful and nothing like we would have expected. It felt like if you didn't go for the expensive meal in the strawberry tree they didn't really care about you and offered you a terrible alternative.

the rooms were comfortable although a little tatty and worn looking.

the breakfast the next morning was another dissapointment we were seated and placed our order and were then forgotten about while others who were seated long after us were being served, we asked several times about our order and eventually got our food with no appology and to add salt to the wound they got the order wrong anyway!

all in all we felt like the hotel looked great but did not deliver the so called 4 star standard really poor food and really poor service.

• Liked — Spa wells
  • Disliked — food and service
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Kildare, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2007

My partner and I stayed for 2 nights in a suite at the Brooklodge Hotel in early September 2007.

The hotel and grounds are very pleasant and nice to wander around (weather permitting - we were lucky!).

On check-in the receptionist asked if we wanted any bookings but did not explain the choices for bookings. She did not tell us about the hotel facilites, location of restaurant, swimming pool, cafe, spa etc. It was as if we were interrupting her rather than guests of the hotel wanting to check in.

There was nothing luxurious about the suite - although it is a pleasant split level (mezzanine) design. The bed was made up of two single mattresses leaving a ridge in the middle of the bed. You had to stay on one side of the ridge to be comfortable.. a little more like being back in college sharing a single bed that in a 4 star hotel!!!

The shower was very low pressure, barely hit the skin. It looked impressive with jets in the wall but if you turned them on the water barely reached your body and the overhead jet just trickled.

There was a nice plasma screen television with internet access but only 4 or 5 television channels which annoyed my partner. There were no biscuits with the tea & coffee in the room. The mini-bar was extortionate even in hotel minibar terms, €3.50 for a small (220ml) bottle of water.

The bed was not turned down at night.. the staff including receptionists did not make us feel welcome. We were never asked if we were enjoying our stay. When I mentioned that we were unhappy about the bed I was told that they only have two or three rooms with proper mattresses and they were not in any way apologetic.

The food in the Strawberry Tree restaurant was good but would need to be at 65 eur per person. With a bottle of wine and 220ml bottle of sparkling water the dinner bill came to 168.60 for two. The food in the Orchard Cafe (attached to Actons Pub) is very tasty and good value. The pub is also nice.

I opted to have a massage in the Well's Spa one evening. The masseuse was very good but again the prices are very high at 60eur for a 25min back massage.

For the money we spent we definitely did not get the service or comfort we expected and nothing about the stay could be described as luxurious!!

I would not recommend this hotel if you are looking for luxury or value for money. You will be disappointed!

• Liked — Remoteness
  • Disliked — Service, bed, shower and lack of value for money
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cavan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

Well it’s just great to see positive reviews about the Brooklodge as myself and my partner having noting but praise for the staff, food and accommodation. We treat ourselves about 2 or 3 times a year and go here to just chill out and spend some quality time together!
I was fairly shocked to see the negative reviews so I asked a friend of mine, who works in the business, what she thought and she told me that other Hotels quite often write bad reviews to knock off the top Hotels getting great reviews!!!

So for anyone who is reading these reviews and have not made up their minds to visit or not, I would recommend that you do so you can experience it for yourselves….

Stayed August 2007
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2007

Attended a family wedding at the BrookHall Brook lodge last week , and whilst wedding itself was well run and venue was great. We were extremely disappointed with the accomadation,as the rooms were booked by the Bride and Groom for family members I tried a number of times to get talking to the reservations dept to confirm that the room would be suitable for us ( we have a 6 and 2 year old) They were most unhelpful and we checked in ( you have to go to old part of hotel to do this as there is no Reception in Brook hall!!) they advised that the room would have a double single and a cot. We arrived in the room to discover no cot ( Luckily I had mine in the car just in case as they hadnt inspired confidence over the phone!) and the room was tiny!!!

This would all have been fair enough if we were stayin in a 2/3 star cheap as chips hotel but at the prices the Brook Lodge charge I was expecting something more. It was a nightmare to sleep in a room that size with four people and the bathroom wasnt much better. It all came across as a hurriedly finished room and as we were Wedding guests they obviously thought we wouldnt be seeing much of it! Pity they dont consider that every wedding guest is a future potential weekend breaker , but sorry Brook lodge you wont be seeing me again!!!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2007

Similar to other reviews, we have stayed at Brook Lodge several times over the past couple of years. When it first opened we were very impressed with the atmosphere and the food. However over time the atmosphere changed and it was increasingly difficult to get a room due to weddings etc.

We thought when the new building was finished we would try it again and see if things had returned to normal. Unfortunately this was not the case. There used to be an excellent bar food menu in Actons, we tried the Orchard Cafe and the food was awful.

The room was shabby and the bathroom badly needed a revamp. The meal in the restaurant was overpriced to start with, but to add insult to injury there was an additional supplement for beef! One of the things I really loved about the Strawberry Tree was the organic veg - I had to ask for carrots and they were obviously microwaved.

Breakfast again was a real disappointment, with slow service and not real attention to detail, we were handed two halves of a torn menu and had to put the pieces together to figure out what was on offer.

We had planned to stay a second night however decided not to and moved on to a fantastic new hotel in Ballymoney which has now replaced Brook Lodge as a favourite romantic getaway.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
MALAGA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

We managed to secure 1 night on the Sunday of the bank holiday weekend for a quick break. We were allocated a room which was in the new building and had been furnished with pieces that were totally out of character and scattered about the roomlike an obstacle course. Dinner was good , though a tad overpriced at 60 euros a head. We were rushed through our courses and asked to take coffee outside so they could have another sitting at our table. We did so but found this at the price to be a bit Irish!!
We retired to the bar to get our coffees and had ordered a bottle of red wine to be sent from the restaurant, both failed to materialise!! We asked then about our coffees and wine and got the coffees thrown at us. 30 minutes later still no wine so we left the Bar. Back in the bedroom(of a 4 star Hotel) , a 4 foot sleigh bed for 2, 4 channel Tv, remote with no batteries, Tea and Coffee with no biscuits, No breakfast in Bed menu, No slip mat or protection in bathtub, Stained carpets,Noisy and no comment card. By 4 am both of us were still awake and wishing the morning to come quickly so we could leave.
On check in, I was asked if I would like a newspaper for the morning which i said yes. On check out they asked me if I had got my paper, which I hadn't. They then gave me one and "oh, Just one minute until I add that to your Bill" In all my years of travelling and staying with Mandarin oriental,leading hotels of the world, Relais & Chateau etc , I have never come across such audacity as to charge a newspaper to your bill. We left and we won't be back, and if you have sense you will overlook this hotel. They need a wake up call!!

• Liked — Scenery
  • Disliked — pretending to be 4 Star
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to BrookLodge & Macreddin Village? Share your experiences!