I have just returned from a weekend break in Ballyknocken with my Sister. What a wonderful experience it was! As other reviews have pointed out, if you are looking for Wi-fi, Spa treatments and blaring (boring) nightlife then perhaps a stay elsewhere would be more suited. If you are looking for a warm welcome, a comfortable stay in a lovingly renovated Victorian farmhouse and (plenty!) of home cooked food then this is your place. It is perfectly situated to explore the wonderful 'Garden of Ireland', and is so very beautiful and peaceful. We were shown to our room and then invited to enjoy tea and cake in the drawing room. Breakfast the next day was extensive and so tasty that we couldn't even manage lunch that day - we had eaten too much delicious food in the morning! After a day exploring we enjoyed a wonderful 4 course dinner, and (despite previous reviewers complaints) really enjoyed the cosiness of dining in a smaller room, we were able to meet and converse with our fellow diners which made for a very sociable affair. The next day we took part in a cookery class, which was so much fun and very accessible for cooks of all levels. The teachers (including the lovely Catherine herself) were more than happy to knowledgeably answer questions and impart tips along the way, and get stuck right in with preparing and cooking the meals. I really can't recommend the place enough, and we are already planning our return trip - thank you so much to everyone at Ballyknocken!
- Also Known As:
- Ballyknocken House Hotel Glenealy
- Ballyknocken House Hotel
- Ballyknocken House Ireland/Glenealy
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ballyknocken House & Cookery School is scenically located on a 350 acre farm only a short drive from Dublin City Centre in County Wicklow, Ireland This charming four-star Victorian farmhouse boasts seven beautifully appointed rooms, all with period features in a picturesque setting on extensive grounds. This family-run operation has many amenities to offer both on-site and in the surrounding area and is home to award-winning Food Writer & TV Chef, Catherine Fulvio.Set up by Catherine’s mum, Mary, Ballyknocken house offers short and weekly walking packages, taking in the lovely Carrick forest and Mountain, just behind Ballyknocken and of course, the magnificent Wicklow Way Ballyknocken House prides itself on using the finest and freshest local produce. Ballyknocken House is the perfect getaway – whether for a romantic retreat, family vacation or foodie adventure. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Ballyknocken House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.