“Another Great Stat” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Delgany, Glen Of The Downs, Ireland   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Another Great Stat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I stayed here with my wife and two year old girl for a package deal. As with the first time we stayed here, all of the staff without exception were very nice and friendly. The Woodlands restaurant staff deserve a special thanks as they were brilliant. As ever going to a restaurant with a two year old can be daunting but they make everyone very welcome ,regardless of age . Can't recommend the hotel enough.

Stayed November 2013
BrianMcNamara, Manager at Glenview Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review on your recent visit to the Glenview Hotel. We are delighted to hear that once again you had a very enjoyable stay with us. I have passed on your lovely compliments to the team - such positive affirmation provides great encouragement.

I really appreciate your continued custom and we all look forward to welcoming you all back to the Glenview in the future.

Kind regards,

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Eglinton, Northern Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

My Partner and I stayed at the hotel on Saturday 2 November for one night on a bed and breakfast rate. Unfortunately our stay was very disappointing and did not live up to the standard expected of a four star hotel and the rates being charged.

On checking into the hotel we found our room to be of an average standard. The bathroom had stained tiles and grouting and the woodwork around the toilet was in a poor state of repair. Other areas needed attention, including the carpet near the bathroom. The hotel has an “eco” policy with regards to towels, yet there was no place to hang two bath towels and two hand towels to dry should we have wanted to avail of this policy. One rail on a towel rail is insufficient. I ran toilet paper over the shower curtain rail in order to make sure it was clean to hang a towel to dry, and it was filthy. The window in the room was jammed shut with a leak around it, we could not open it to re-shut it, but this was addressed by a member of staff which we were grateful for. However, the room was cold as a result and we note the heat did not come on again from the afternoon, either that evening, overnight or the next morning, and we woke up very cold. It also meant we could not dry a towel on it too. Seems to be a common experience from other reviewers. Additionally, the TV reception was dreadful and the choice of channels very poor.

We availed of the leisure centre and were disappointed to find the sauna and Jacuzzi out of order. The staff were, however, very attentive and helpful there. The pool temperature is bizarrely high, and as someone who is a regular fitness swimmer, I cannot understand the rationale for it. It is an uncomfortable swim for someone who swims for fitness.

The experience of breakfast the next morning was unpleasant and really the prompt for me to write to the hotel about our experience. We arrived to chaos at 9.30am. While I appreciate the hotel was full, this should have alerted staff to the need to be fully prepared. There was no milk, no pastries, and no bread. At the hot buffet half of the items were missing. When they were replaced, the other half was missing. This meant either having one half cold and the other half hot or going up twice. It also meant a long wait standing at the buffet. Most other guest were complaining too, and a number of them said they “gave up”. Menu items like the kippers were not available. One member of staff indicated they never are. We spoke to the staff who indicated that the pastries would be out shortly, as would the bread and milk. Milk did arrive eventually, pastries arrived at 10.30 – 8 mini croissants for a full dining room and nothing else. The bread was not replaced. I am not sure if they have ever tried to use their cereal bowls, but they will not even house a full Weetabix. They would make very good sugar bowls but that’s about it.

I had decided that I would advise the staff of my disappointment and concerns on checkout when staff usually ask how your stay was. Unfortunately I was not asked how my staff was.

I emailed the hotel and was contacted by the management team there. I believe they have taken on board the experience and followed up on all the points raised, and I was given a thorough outline of what was being done for each point. I believe the response was very genuine and I believe the issues will be addressed, but time will tell. It is very nice to see a hotel responding in this manner, and does give the sense of being valued as a customer. While this didn't prevent my experience being disappointing, its shows the hotel wish to learn from the experiences of guests.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
BrianMcNamara, Manager at Glenview Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Mr Cook,

Thank you for your review on your recent visit to the Glenview Hotel. I appreciate you taking the time to highlight your points, your comments form extremely valuable feedback which allows both me and my team the rare opportunity to act on as a direct result.

I am pleased that you are satisfied that the issues raised have been appropriately addressed. I would like to sincerely apologise again for your disappointing experience and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Glenview hotel in the future.

Kind regards,

2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I spent three days with my family at the Glenview hotel in a nice yet cold bedroom, ate some very nice food but the focus of this review in on our negative experience in the hotel leisure centre.
The leisure centre was an unacceptable experience. On entering the pool area the main entrance to the pool was blocked off with a mixture of ropes and a couple of chairs with an apology sign. The sauna was broken with another apology sign stating they were waiting on a new unit.
The indoor Jacuzzi was empty of water and blocked off and the out door Jacuzzi was covered with a heavy rubber cover which one other guest told us we had to remove ourselves to use it. Other than the steam room nothing else worked in this four star facility.The one thing that my kids were happy with was the temperature of the water was nice and warm.

The mens showers were a disgrace. Four cubicles covered with pink worn out Showers curtains. For the three days I was there, one of the four showers was blocked in with a plastic chair with a out of order sign hanging from it. One shower was permanently cold so in fact there was only two functioning hot showers for which I had to queue with three other men for at least 10 minutes to get a turn.

This was made all the more difficult by the fact that the temperature in the changing room was the coldest I have experienced yet. While I waited for my turn at the showers it gave me the opportunity to count the broken and missing slabs of tiles from the walls of one of the showers.

From a hygiene point of view the leisure centre does not deserve to be called four star. There was no disinfectant spray in the foot machine in the changing room, the ceiling tiles were stained and by the pool one of the exit doors was covered with rust and flaking paint.

When I gave the duty manager my feedback at the reception desk she informed me that an upgrade was due next January and apologised for broken sauna and Jacuzzi . She also said it had been some time since she had been down to the pool and had only that very day seen the problems for the first time !. She offered me no discount to my 520 Euro bill but thanked me for my feedback !

I have had the opportunity to stay at many hotels around Ireland over the last number of years. The Glenview is by far the most disappointing. On reading the hotel managers responses to other reviews on trip advisor ,given my experience at the Glenview, it is hard to believe him when he says he is committed to providing the best standard of services.

Dear Guest,

I am very upset to read of your disappointing experience during your recent visit to the Glenview Hotel.

I would be most grateful if you would contact me on the details below to discuss the matter further.

Tel: 01 2873399
Co. Down
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have just returned from a weekend away with my mum (who has limited mobility). Amazing amazing location & so very easy to get to! We hadn't been in the hotel 10 mins & we were checked in to a ground floor room which accommodated our mobility issues & walking to the room several staff passing by offered to assist with our bags even though asked when checking in & we declined. Staff in this hotel have to be thee best of any hotel I have stayed in worldwide (usually take a hotel break every 8 wks in Ireland) from the cleaners right through to the amazing waiting staff.
The leisure facilities are wonderful & is topped off with the outdoor hot tub. Great access into the pool with walk in steps which once again was great for our mobility needs. The one issue was that the leisure complex is only accessible via the hotel by 2 flights of stairs no lift access which was very difficult. There was ramp access via the car park however this meant you had to exit the hotel walk around the back & access that way - not very disabled friendly. The hotel itself is presented very well clean & tidy & lovely décor.
The bedroom was at times quite cool heating seemed to be limited & also in dire need of a paint; a lot of marking n walls & damp in corners of windows & the bedding really needs a coloured throw to brighten up the all white linen. Otherwise the rooms were very spacious & very adequately furnished with seating & table, dressing table & good room to manoeuvre around. One element that does need to be developed is an information book in the room just about the hotel, local amenities, etc. I am very active when travelling & had to continually ask reception for information which would have been quite accessible from a welcome book in the room, which has always been standard in other hotels I have stayed.
The restaurant/breakfast was fantastic nothing but praise here yet again! Fine dining in the evening & endless selection at breakfast.
Overall a wee gem nestled in a wonderful location with staff & surroundings second to none. A very big pat on the back for management who obviously lead their staff very well; nothing was too much to ask of them. Would definitely recommend & return to this hotel - exceptional value for money & impeccable service!

Room Tip: Get a front facing room to benefit the wonderful views!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
BrianMcNamara, General Manager at Glenview Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your excellent review of your recent visit to the Glenview Hotel. We are indeed very fortunate to be located in such a beautiful part of Ireland and as you mentioned our hotel is so easy to get to.

I am delighted to read you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay with us including your accommodation, your dining experience, the service and our Leisure facilities.

Your compliments regarding the team are very much appreciated and we all look forward to welcoming you and your Mum back to the Glenview Hotel soon.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

It had no heating in the room past about 10 pm, and it had not been turned on again when I checked out. Friends stayed on a different floor and experienced the same lack of heating. Do not stay here in the winter.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
BrianMcNamara, General Manager at Glenview Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am very sorry to read of your dissatisfaction with the heating in your room. If we had been aware of the problem we would have rectified the situation immediately.

Many thanks for your review and should you wish to discuss your stay further I would be delighted if you could contact me on the number below.

Kind Regards

Tel: 01 2873399
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I spent a lot of time looking at different hotels for mid-term in order to get the best deal for my family of 4.(Mum dad and 2 girls ages 6 and 9), Their were many deals on offer in different hotels but I wanted to have a guarantee that all amenities were up to a good standard so I opted to pay over the odds for our weekend in the Glenview Hotel. The room was lovely, the hotel itself was lovely. The food was lovely and the reception staff were very pleasant. I had a massage in the Haven which was fantastic.
The Leisure Centre however was extremely run down and very tatty. The entrance to the pool was blocked in an unsightly way with ropes and signs. There was no foot bath to disinfect your feet on the way through. Empty foot disinfectant dispensers in the dressing room. My husband told me there were strips of unsightly missing tiles in the showers. One out of 3 hot showers 1 was out of order.The sauna did not work at all. The dressing rooms were freezing. The ceiling tiles were stained in the pool. On Sunday our last day the Jacuzzi was empty of water and out of service too. The outdoor hot tub was not hot enough. Not 4 star Not acceptable. The kids club is advertised as being on for Friday and Sat. The girl was very pleasant but because there was only our girls and a couple of other kids she did not interact with the kids she sat in the corner looking at a laptop. I have been in other hotels and even when numbers are small the kids club leader still interacts on some level with the kids and plays games of some kind with them. I paid well over the price of other hotels as I say with the belief that the Glenview would not let us down on all it advertises. I believe if your leisure facilities are out of order you should discount the guests for not providing what you advertise.
I also think you should warn people that if kids club numbers are low there will be no interactivity with the club leader. If I had have known the above I would have booked elsewhere. This is a beautiful hotel with great character but these things let it down. Margaret Dublin

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review of your recent visit to the Glenview Hotel. I am very pleased with your compliments regarding the pleasant staff and standard of accommodation and food that you experienced during your visit. Angela our Beauty Therapist is particularly delighted to hear that you felt you had a fantastic massage.

I am very upset to read of your disappointment with the Leisure Club facilities and the poor interaction with your children in our Kids Club. Our health club facilities receive regular maintenance to ensure that they are of a high standard. I will ensure that your comments are passed on to our Leisure Club Manager for his direct attention. The matter regarding the Kids Club has been addressed and appropriate action taken.

Your feedback is very important to us as it is only through comments such as yours that we can continue to strive for excellence.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Glenview hotel in the future.

Kind Regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We visited The Glenview Hotel recently for a family Sunday Lunch. The dining room is excellent with beautiful views through the Glen of the Downs. The staff were exceptionally friendly and efficient particularly the young Spanish?? girl. The food was very good. We will definitely return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your feedback regarding Sunday Lunch in our Woodlands Restaurant. We are delighted to hear you and your family had a very enjoyable meal experience and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Glenview Hotel soon.

Brian McNamara

Been to Glenview Hotel? Share your experiences!