“Time out! 30 minutes away!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Glenview Hotel to your Saves list
Glenview Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Delgany, Glen Of The Downs, Ireland   |
DUBLIN
“Time out! 30 minutes away!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Spent a blissful night here last week with my husband to celebrate my birthday. We had a super time, we had a suite which had a fabulous view (although the weather was not great). The staff were so friendly and helpful and really made the difference between our stay being great and our stay being super. The outdoor hot tub was a lovely luxury and the food in the restaurant was gorgeous. The best part was that we only had to travel 30 minutes to the hotel ( we live in Dublin) and yet it felt like we were in another world!! We took advantage of the woodland walk, which was short but delightful. It makes sense to spend more time relaxing and less time travelling. We've booked a return visit for March...can't wait.

Room Tip: Make sure to request a room with a view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
BrianMcNamara, General Manager at Glenview Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your wonderful review. We were all delighted to read you had a very enjoyable time. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Glenivew Hotel in March.

Brian McNamara

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Áth Cliath
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed one night in the Glenview 5/6 Jan 2013. The water in the bathroom was brown. I called the Duty Manager Linda to look at it and she agreed it was not as clear as it should be. It was obviously dirty and I said as much. She called her manager Mr Mc namara and he informed us that it was the normal colour of the water in the hotel. I have stayed a number of times over the last ten years and have never seen the water that colour before. Linda gave us another room to shower down the hall in which the water was nearly as bad. I did not enjoy the stay because of this and got the feeling that they just wanted us out of there as quick as possible. Austerity has really kicked in there as everything is cut back to the minimum.We will not be back.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your email regarding your recent visit to the Glenview Hotel. As discussed with you the water in the area due to its unique location, naturally has a slight discoloration. I am sorry this has caused you upset but I would like to assure you again there is nothing to be concerned about.

If I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My husband and I had stayed here a few months ago - we had a 3rd floor room and the views were stunning. So I was really looking forward to bringing my daughter here for a wee break. I had raved about the beautiful views and so we were more than disappointed to have a ground floor room which looked straight into the bushes! Since the view is undoubtedly a big selling point for this hotel, surely the bushes and shrubbery in front of the ground floor rooms should be cut back? They add nothing to the beauty of the hotel - I am not referring to the woodland walks which are lower and don't obstruct the view from the rooms. The girl at reception was very polite and to give her her due, she did her best to change our room but the only available one had a double bed which was unsuitable for my daughter and me. The stay otherwise was extremely good, the food was brilliant and the staff mostly friendly and helpful. TV very old and limited choice of channels and rooms are dated but clean. On checking out, we found we had been charged for drinks at dinner which we didn't have (we are teetotallers). Not sure that the girl on the desk fully believed me when I assured her we had only had water, but she took it off the bill anyway. This last few minutes kind of left a sour taste as we did not feel we had really convinced her. Overall, we did enjoy our stay and will be back!

Room Tip: A lovely place to stay but just make sure you ask for a view when you book!
Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
BrianMcNamara, General Manager at Glenview Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your views on your recent visit to the Glenview Hotel. I agree our executive rooms are lovely with magnificent views of the Glen. I am so sorry there were no executive rooms available for this visit. The next time you intend staying please contact me in advance of your visit and I will do my best to organize an executive room for you. I have passed your comment regarding the shrubbery to our gardener for his direct attention.

I would like to apologize for the error on your bill. I was glad to hear it was amended before you left.

I was very happy to read that overall you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay and I am delighted to hear you are planning a return visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Glenview Hotel in the near future.

Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Myself and my husband just spent two nights in this hotel and enjoyed a really lovely, relaxing break. It was quiet as not many people about after the Christmas period but that didn't stop us having a lovely time. I found the leisure centre a wonderful experience, yes there is some mould on the ceiling over the pool but that is to be expected where there is a lot of water and steam!. The pool was spotless and the jacuzzi just the perfect temperature. Our bedroom was very spacious with a beautiful view of the glen, yes the room could do with a lick of paint but that is all down to wear and tear - the room was very bright and clean and most of all so comfortable that I didn't want to leave. We had a deal which included two evening meals, my only gripe here is that the restaurant was closed on the Sunday (not a problem, all restaurants in hotels have an evening they close, and we were informed of this on arrival) but personally I prefer the atmosphere of a restaurant as opposed to dining in the bar. This is not to take away by no means from the excellent service we received in the bar. The quality of the food is amazing and the overall service excellent. I cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: Request room with view of the Glen - amazing!
Dear Guests,

Many thanks for your review. We were so happy to read you enjoyed a lovely relaxing break and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Best Regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Stayed here on a three night deal earlier in the month, enjoyed it a lot.

Hotel is right on the n11, so easy to get to but traffic noise was not an issue.

We stayed on second floor in a room with a few of some trees. Not awe inspiring but better than nothing. Room was a little dated, but what hotels aren't nowadays with the recession? Doubt many places has spare cast to update fixtures and fittings.

But it wasn't an issue and room was clean and dust free. As pothera have said, the bed was two singles pushed together, in all honesty is was a great, comfortable bed and we didn't notice the divide at all! Don't let it put you off.

About 5 mins after entering our room, front desk phoned up to ask if everything was OK, which it was.

Some other points:

Very warm room,had to leave window slightly open the whole time
Bar food is OK
Restaurant meal was excellent
Room service was good, tho at €3.50 per person, a little steep.
Staff all friendly and excellent
Leauisure facility good,not amazing but at least it was clean.... Just don't look up at the mouldy ceiling panels above the pool!
Close to great walks, mountain bike trails etc. Sugar loaf walk is a 5min drive away.
The spa was excellent (according to girlfriend) and massage, nail kinda stuff very good value and the girl was nice and friendly.

Overall, definitely recommended and will be back next time we fancy a good value hotel break in Wicklow!

• Stayed November 2012
BrianMcNamara, General Manager at Glenview Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review of your recent visit to the Glenview Hotel. I was delighted to read that overall you had a very enjoyable stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Glenview soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

Initially when I booked the hotel I found an on line deal for mid week two night stay plus b&b and an evening meal for a set price for two people. I rang the hotel and booked what I thought was the deal for three couples.

The hotel room was fine but the bathroom was in a need of repair, there was grime on the floor and paint missing from the wall, the shower head was held together with tape, but I thought we were getting such a good deal that I'd ignore it as I'm not the type of person who complains. The meal we got was top class and couldn't have been nicer. For the majority the staff were very friendly and helpful until we went to check out.

When I was given the bill we were charged double the amount per couple, in others words we were charged per person and not per room as the deal stated. I brought this to the attention of the staff who got the booking manager whom I booked with with. I showed her a copy of the deal Offer i had saved on my phone, I was told that the deal is only available on some days and she insisted that she told me that it was booked per person, I informed her I would never have booked if I had known it was per person and the deal was available for the days we booked, ie it was mid week and not the weekend, but she became rude and basically ignored anything I was saying and wouldn't back down.

All in all I felt we were treated badly at check out, i thought we were punished for someone elses mistake and the way she was behaving lead me to believe she knew very well she was in the wrong. The price we were charged would have been expensive for a weekend stay and the room, especially the bathroom with the taped shower head, was very over priced. It ruined what had been a much need and relaxing break.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear guest,

I would like thank you for taking the time to complete your Tripadvisor review regarding your recent visit to The Glenview Hotel. I was sorry to read of your disappointment and the confusion regarding your bill. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss these matters in further detail.

Please contact me on the telephone number below.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Tel: 01 2873399
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We recently celebrated an important family event and decided to hold the reception at The Glenview Hotel. Upon arrival I visited The Library Room to finalise arrangements and was delighted at how well the room was dressed and arranged to accommodate our party of thirty guests of which seven were children under nine years.
Throughout the day, the staffs were extremely helpful and attentive with no request seeming to faze them. Given the table size and the number of guests, the service was first rate and the food was excellent with no one left waiting for anything.
This was not my first time to be at an event at this hotel and given my experiences to date I would be delighted to say it won’t be my last.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
BrianMcNamara, General Manager at Glenview Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read that all went well for your family event. I will be sharing your kind comments with my team. I know how pleased everyone will be to hear that their efforts to deliver an excellent experience have been appreciated.

Many thanks for your wonderful review and we look forward welcoming you back to the Glenview hotel soon.

Brian McNamara

Been to Glenview Hotel? Share your experiences!