“The West Wicklow Gem that is Rathsallagh.” 5 of 5 stars

Rathsallagh House
Dunlavin, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Dunlavin B&B and Inns
Cork, Ireland
“The West Wicklow Gem that is Rathsallagh.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My wife and I decided to take a small break from work (and the kids) and booked a 2 night stay in Rathsallagh. On arrival, Friday afternoon, we were met with the usual welcome that only the staff of Rathsallagh can give. The Lavender room was sumptuous , with a large en-suite bathroom . (The His and Hers sinks are a great touch as is the 3-head shower.)

We had booked dinner for that evening and arrived to the bar (in the main house) only to be met by our friends Kay and Joe O'Flynn (the owners). Joe, as only he can do, regaled us with his anecdotes until it was time for us to head to the dining room.

The food was 5* as usual and the dining room staff, whilst not being overly attentive, looked after our every need.

Next morning we woke completely refreshed and headed for breakfast. "Breakfast" is a misnomer when it comes to the Rathsallagh breakfast ! It's a culinary feast !

Satiated, we retired to our room for a rest before we took in the delights that West Wicklow has to offer. (as well as the Kildare Village Outlet Centre (for herself))

We reserved dinner again for the Saturday and once again we were not to be disappointed.
The only problem we had was trying to extricate ourselves from the bar and from the brilliant company of our hosts, Joe and Kay. The following morning's breakfast energised us for the trip back home but we didn't want to leave!

The only downside is that we didn't get to meet Joe Jnr (who is running the House and Golf Club on behalf of the family) this time around.
Maybe next time Joe!!

Congratulations to the O'Flynn family on maintaining the standards that other Country Houses can only aspire to.

See you all soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
JoeWicklowIreland, Owner at Rathsallagh House, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Hi Guys
Thank you so much for a wonderful review, we are so glad that you had such a relaxing time here. I am only sorry I missed your return visit to Rathsallagh, but glad that your survived the bar with the Boss !!. I hope we will see you here again over the summer. All the very best . Joe Jnr .

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the hotel on a two night romantic break special which included dinner on one night.

The reception was very warm and welcoming. The Romantic room which we stayed in was extremely large with a huge bathroom. Beautifully decorated in all aspects and located at a very quiet part of the house.

Dinner was simply amazing from start to finish. Both the food and the service were second to none we have had before. 5 stars all round.

Breakfast selection was both large and delicious. Again the service was absolutely first class.

My wife had a massage while there which she thoroughly enjoyed. All of the grounds and surrounding area are kept immaculately.

Overall this stay exceeded our expectations and we can highly recommend the hotel especially for a couples break.

Well done to the owners on running such a wonderful establishment and see you again soon!

• Stayed February 2013
JoeWicklowIreland, Owner at Rathsallagh House, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for a lovely review, we are so glad you enjoyed the Romantic Room, this is in one of the oldest parts of the house dating back to late 1600 early 1700. Our Head Chef is delighted with your mention of his food, he tries to use as much local Wicklow and Kildare produce as possible , and as the summer approaches he can add even fresher ingredients from our own gardens. We have your review proudly displayed on our staff notice board, you have no idea of the boost such compliments can give to our team. . Thank you so much and we look forward to a return visit to Rathsallagh
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Lovely spot, great food, service & accommodation. In addition to the lovely dinners the breakfast is amazing. The O'Flynn family are so helpful & do everything to make your stay as good as they possibly can. One could ask for no more.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
JoeWicklowIreland, Owner at Rathsallagh House, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for a lovely review. We pride ourselves on our breakfast, the eggs coming from our own hens , and we get such pleasure out of it when our guests enjoy eating our breakfast as much as we enjoy preparing it. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you back at Rathsallagh soon.
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The warm welcome from the "lady of the house" Kay O'Flynn makes complaining difficult, you want to enjoy, you want the unique 5 star with the charm of the informal experience, you want to
believe........but unfortunately that was not my experience. Having wanted to go there for a number or years I jumped at the chance of a "groupon deal".

First........ excellence deserves praise and the gourmet experience is just that, excellent.
We dined on mussels, beef and in my case shank of lamb. ( I wanted duck but at 9 pm they had run out), however this was no loss as the lamb (slowcooked for 11 hours) was to die for.
The medallions of beef were tender and the vegetable selection was fresh and perfectly cooked
Cheeseboard from a trolley to the table was refreshingly customer focused and "Mags" and the dining room staff were wonderful. Good choice and v reasonably priced wine added to the culinary experience. There was no rush and the wonderful house, complete with drawing rooms,
couches, real open fires and bar were ours for the rest of the evening. The old fashioned boned cutlery, linen napkins, individual foral decorations and interesting eclectic wall art added to the atmosphere.

Breakfast the next morning on arrival initially looked sparse, proped up with mustards and
relishes, but on closer inspection the buffet revealed, freshly chopped fruit, smoothies, hand squeezed orange juice, ham on the bone with traditional carving knives, a fantastic selection
of bread and pastries, whole smoked salmon, cheeses and again a local to advise us that we could order eggs to our taste.

The morning special was Eggs Natasia, toasted bread, smoked salmon poached eggs (the most perfectly poached eggs I ever had) and hollandaise sauce. It was all I could do to refrain from
licking the plate.

An ample supply of newspapers, an adjournment to the drawing room with more tea and heaven never tasted so good.

So now the bad news, what do you need to know before you go.....................

Prior to travelling down I rang to confirm my reservation, and enquired if the swimming pool was
still closed. I was told yes but there was a sauna and a jacuzzi...happy days, so my swimsuit was added to my o/n bag

On arrival we were shown to a "room" away from the house across the courtyard to the converted stables. We climbed up a steep stairs and were shown to our "room".

Unfortunately as I had booked this as a surprise for my husband I did not let my disappointment show and as he had stayed before albeit in the main house he was v kind and said that as this
was a converted stable what else did I expect.

Well I expected more, the room was small , an attic room, decorated like a room your daughter may have had in 1980. A floral material covered headboard matched the curtains. All beautifully made however 30 years out of date.

The effort had been made to upgrade this attic room to five star, by the addition of a wonderful
shower room......no bath...yes I said 5 star but no bath.......tea and coffee etc.

The notice telling us that it was a no smoking room and if we smoked and it cost a professional
cleaner to get rid of the smell we would be charged 200euro, the notice telling us not to meddle
with the v small tv or we would be charged with calling a technician to retune it, and the usual notice telling us if we used a towel more than once we were not green made me feel like I was
in the room their daughter had before she left for college. I made the best of it and headed for
the drawing room.

Note we had not been told that there was no bath, asked if we would like to upgrade or if we had any difficulty with stairs.

Anyway, unfortunately I have a condition which chose my lovely weekend to "flare up. No matter how many cushions I used I just could not sit and read, so I thought a jucuzzi just what I need,

aha...did you book ...I was asked when I enquired where it was.......yes you need to book...
so my back and I had a sleep before dinner and sat with a cushion as my back got worse.

After breakfast I went for a wander and discovered beautiful big rooms complete with bathroom
behind our "stable".

What a different experience I could have had if
- the receptionist had asked me if I wished to book the jacuzzi when I rang
- I had been asked if I wished a room with a bath
- I had been given the option to upgrade
- I had not needed to climb up and down steep stairs just to get to my room

My advice
Do not let them give you the room called "susie"
Book the jacuzzi
Make sure you have a room with a bath
Don't bother to mention any of this to the receptionist as she displayed little interest.

Be braver than I and have the courage to speak up even in the face of the wonderful hospitality of Mrs. O'Flynn. A wonderful lady, however as she makes you feel so much like a guest in her home and she genuinely seems to want you to enjoy the Rathsallagh experience, it really seems like bad manners to complain as you do not want to offend.

My apologies however "Susie" was on only on a par with the bedrooms in many a guest house
I have visited. It was very small, with a minute t.v, too warm with windows opening on to ivy
which makes one afraid of opening, decorated for a maiden aunt and an uneven floor, which with
my gammy foot I tripped over more than once.

With the right room, or at least the ones I viewed on the Sunday before departure, the foresight to book the jacuzzi, Rathsallagh could be the retreat of dreams.

Just know before you go.......................................

Room Tip: Do not pick Susie Ask for upgrade......pay anything! House would be best in case of inclement we...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
JoeWicklowIreland, Owner at Rathsallagh House, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Elaine
Thank you so much for a fantastic Trip Advisor review in terms of the food and service, our breakfast team are particularly thrilled. As for the room you were allocated, we hold our hands up and apologise that you had not been advised beforehand that you were in one of our two Cosy rooms with a walk in shower as opposed to a bath. We are delighted that you thought we were 5 star for all the services provided , however we are not a Hotel at all in fact we are listed as a Country House, but still we try and keep up with these five star hotels, charging a lot less and normally doing pretty well, until now. As you know you booked with a €129 Mega Deal voucher and It was a pity that you were allocated the last room available for that offer ( an upgrade was not possible unfortunately ) . Again we hold our hands up, you should have been told that the room you were in was as it was being a loft converted from old 1700 stables – hence the floor , and comprising of a bathroom with walk in shower and not a bath. As for the signs we cannot apologise for asking people not to smoke in the rooms out of respect for guests coming in after them. However the TV sign, yes we could do with removing those, the way you highlighted them made us realise that they are a a bit ott. Thanks for that,. Also you do need to book the Jacuzzi room ( we call it the play room ! ) its because we let people use it on a private bases, its rather like showing up at a Five Star Hotel and expecting a masseuse to be available at 5.00pm with no prior reservation, that’s not always possible ( we do have them on call here however ) . But yes you should have been advised to book to avoid disappointment , and for that too we hold our hands up and say sorry. In conclusion we thank you most sincerely for your feedback, it was long and detailed, its also been a wake up call and very much appreciated by us. We will endeavour to inform our future guests more thoroughly , and we will see if we can update Susie to bring her more into line with a modern Country House. Thank you again. From all at Rathsallagh.
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Myself and fiancé were looking for the perfect venue for our wedding in Sept. next year, and we were lucky enough to come across this gem. I wanted something different to a typical wedding, I wanted a really special venue which combined the highest quality food and best possible service. Rathsallagh ticked all those boxes. From our first viewing we were shown around the house and grounds by Catherine, who made us feel so welcome and spent almost an hour and a half with us going through everything and answering all of our questions, she really could not have been more helpful or friendly. I then decided to bring my aunt and bridesmaid down to the house for them to view, and they both loved it too, particularly the long beautiful drive up to the house which has to be experienced to be fully appreciated. We were shown around by Trish who was most helpful and were given glasses of Prosecco on our arrival which was such a lovely surprise. Also with the day that was in it I got a text wishing myself and my fiancé a happy Valentine's Day, which I thought was such a sweet and thoughtful touch.
The surrounding grounds and gardens will be stunning for photographs, particularly the enormous tree covered in fairylights! The stunning crisp white function room would make the perfect setting for dinner and party afterwards. The welcoming lounges and sitting rooms with open log fires are the perfect area for your guests to relax with predrinks or unwind at the end of the night. What's more, with the whole house exclusively yours for the wedding day it means your guests can truly make themselves at home and appreciate all it's beauty in peace.
Unfortunately we decided to pick another venue for the big day due to our preferred date not being available, but I cannot recommend this venue highly enough. I'm so disappointed that we will not be having our own wedding here, but I will be certainly telling all my friends to view Rathsallagh when they get engaged, and I also hope we can come back to it one day for some other event or occasion. It also makes for the most romantic weekend for a couple wishing to escape it all and experience a little bit of homely luxury. A must see :)

Dear Simone
Thank you so much for a really delightful review , its even more special as you have heaped praise upon Rathsallagh even though we did not have the date of your dreams. You have no idea how much your feedback is appreciated and Catherine is thrilled with the mention. As you know we only have one wedding at a time here at Rathsallagh , giving over the estate exclusively to the bridal party on the day. As is evident from your review we too feel that Rathsallagh is a very special place, particularly for romance and or a wedding. It is very much to our own regret that your preferred date was not available, but we know that you will find another wonderful venue out there and we take this opportunity to wish you both long life and happiness together. From all at Rathsallagh
dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for an overnight stay and wished it was longer so we could try out all they had to offer. So relaxing, with wonderful professional staff and the very best of food. Breakfast is out of this world. The bar is cosy and warm but maybe the chairs and tables could be a little more comfy but saying that there is two beautiful sitting rooms with couches and chairs. Wonderful wonderful hide away. Great job.

• Stayed February 2013
We are so glad that you found our little hideaway just outside Dublin and thank you so much for taking the time to write a lovely review. Our breakfast team are absolutely thrilled they got such high praise. Over the last few days I have noticed that the daffodils are beginning to flower here, the wood crocus are showing their heads and the wild garlic is in full flow, and you know there is even a little length in the day, Spring is really here. We have some great offers for relaxing during Easter so we do hope that we will see you back again soon. Thank you , from all at Rathsallagh
dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We recently stayed overnight with friends in this gorgeous house in Wicklow.The stafff were wonderful,their attention to detail amazing,the food to die for,the gardens,the rooms etc,its a great place for a complete chill out.On arrival we asked for scones and coffee,our coffee tray arrived but we were told the scones would be just a few minutes as they were being frseshly baked,which they were, and arrived soon after with a bowl of cream and a bowl of homemade jam,this is a simple thing and so many get it wrong but this simple thing was done to perfection..well done Rathsallagh we will be back

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for a great review. Mum is delighted as she makes all of the jams and preserves here at Rathsallagh, it gives her such a buzz to get a mention . We are so glad that you could chill out here with us, its really what Rathsallagh is for, winding down and relaxing and yet only an hour from the city centre. Look out for our great Easter offers and we hope to see you back soon. Thanks again from all at Rathsallagh

Been to Rathsallagh House? Share your experiences!