“Enjoyable family break” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Gorey
N Ireland
“Enjoyable family break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

Spent 3 nights here with husband and 3 kids (14,12,3). Check in was very smooth and the girl was very informative about facilities hotel had to offer. Room was spacious and clean. Bathroom was a bit small for a family room.

Hotel facilities are great for kids. Outdoor play areas , small selection of farm animals, crazy golf, go karts, football. There is a games room for young children which has a ball pool, soft play area, good range of toys, staff were great- interacted well with all kids and provided colouring and craft activities. There is another games room for older children with table tennis, pool table , football table etc. both rooms open from 10am-1pm and 7pm-10pm.

Breakfast was busy each morning. We were warned about this upon check in and were advised to go to breakfast pre 9am. On each morning we were there around 930. Got a table no problem but the restaurant was very busy and staff seemed under pressure although they were always pleasant.Had to wait quite a while for tea and toast and porridge. Also noticed that no teaspoons were with the teacups on any table setting. I asked for one each morning for my 3 year old to eat his cereal and again had to wait quite a while to get a teaspoon on each occasion. Good selection of cooked breakfast, cereals , bread, croissants,juice etc.

We had lunch in the bar in two occasions. Again the bar was busy and staff seemed under pressure. Kids asked for ham sandwiches as alternatives on kids menu were the usual Goujons, sausages , fish, pasta. The server informed us that they didn't do sandwiches just baguettes or sour dough bread. Maybe for a child friendly hotel having the choice of normal sandwiches may be advisable. I also didn't think the
Menu in the bar was very extensive although from previous reviews I think this is only a new menu. For me it didn't have enough lunch options it was based for more evening meals. All food purchased was very nice. Evening meal in restaurant was also lovely.

Pool area was lovely. Very clean. There is a €5 deposit required for each towel required.

As in other reviews I have to agree that corridors were very noisy at night time from 10pm-1130pm despite there being signs at the end of each corridor reminding people to be quiet.

Overall the hotel is a great find for families due to the facilities they offer. We will probably return but not sure I would advise it for couples or business during the summer season.

Stayed August 2014
AmberSpringsGM, General Manager at Amber Springs Hotel and Health Spa, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Dear minkymeen

I am delighted you experienced a great welcome to our Hotel from our reception team & were delighted with the amazing facilities we have for our most special younger guests, I am happy that you enjoyed our breakfast, BBG bar food, Kelbys restaurant, our pool & service, your comments in reference to the BBG menu will be addressed & we are also in the process of revising our kiddies menu. I would be delighted to see you again at the Amber Springs Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

Traveled from Blackwater after phoning a reservation. Was looking forward as I have seen a tv piece on how everything was produced on the owners farm and the reviews were good. Everything was ok but no al a carte menu and very limited dinner choice left a disappointing first impression. Very very busy with kids staying at the hotel which meant the whole experience was very noisy. The staff were friendly but I guess part timers who had to be reminded when anything was requested. Overall a very practical nice meal but not one for a special occasion

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Donal1107

Thank you for your feedback, you are correct in saying that all our beef & vegetables are produced on The Redmond’s Farm, I am happy you had a good meal but disappointed that it was not memorable, we are reviewing our menu choice at Kelbys Bistro and will be introducing an A La Carte menu in the coming weeks, we are an incredibly popular destination for families & I am sorry you had a noisy experience, perhaps next time you book you may consider to come a little later in the evening when our young guests are tucked up in bed, I look foreword to welcoming you back soon at The Amber Springs Hotel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

First up, in the interest of fairness, I should point out that this is a very good hotel if you have small kids. Our 4 year old loves the place and our 18 month old was well catered for. However, we have stayed twice now and are in a position to review the negatives which have occurred both times.

The Pros are as follows: Great facilities for kids, the main restaurant is very good, the pool area and changing rooms are clean and family friendly, free WiFi, the breakfast buffet is great.

The Cons: The bar food is DREADFUL. Staff quality is a bit hit and miss. The cleanliness of the room left a lot to be desired considering the hotel advertises as family friendly i.e. babies crawling around the floor. A lot of fittings both in the room and hotel itself need a bang of a handyman. A €75 surcharge for our 4 year old is WAY too steep, considering he was not covered on the inclusive dinner and you have to pay for many of the attractions for kids as well. There also seemed to be a shortage of staff in the outdoor part, but in fairness that could have just been on the day.

To summarise, if you have young kids, its a great hotel for a few days break. For everyone else, its above average but nothing special. There's a big jump in price between a 3 night and 4 night stay, which is a bit strange. If there had not been such a big difference they would have had our custom for an extra day. While you won't be disappointed with your stay its frustrating that a handful of easily fixable issues could make the hotel as good for adults as it is for children.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
AmberSpringsGM, General Manager at Amber Springs Hotel and Health Spa, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Dear TheDextersOnTour
Thank you for your constructive feedback which we at the Amber Springs hotel will take on board and address, I am delighted by the positive feedback & will address each of the areas where you were let down, in reference to bar service, housekeeping,reservation & general handyman issues, on the matter of charging for children we carry a daily charge of 25 euros per child over 4 years old & under 4 are free, we only charge this to help cover the added cost of an extra little guest in our rooms & the full usage of all our fantastic free amenities we have in our property
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

We stayed here while attending a wedding so we did not have a chance to experience the regular menu. The wedding breakfast, however, was excellent as indeed was the service from the very friendly staff. We had an excellent leisurely breakfast on the morning following the wedding.
While the rooms are comfortable I felt that they were overpriced. I was also a bit shocked by the bar prices. We did not have a chance to try the spa so cannot comment on that.

Overall it is a good hotel but a bit pricey.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear JohnGDublin_Ireland

I am delighted you enjoyed your time at the wedding at The Amber Springs Hotel, and the breakfast lived up to your expectations from a food & service perspective , I am happy that you enjoyed the rooms, we strive to keep our pricing at a level that is considered value in relation to quality & service and this does come at a price, I will review again our pricing in terms of other venues in our quality bracket. Thank you for your feedback.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

This place was recommended by friends as a good hotel if you have small kids. They were dead right. Gorey would not be on my list of places to stay, though it is a grand town with plenty of restaurants and cafes. But the hotel could be anywhere and is fairly self-contained. It is close to Courtown which has a fine beach and a village which was far better than I was expecting. There is plenty to entertain the kids .

After a fairly long holiday that took us to a number of different locations, the kids voted this the best....and if kids are happy....

Dear Gauffre,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about The Amber Springs Hotel, I am delighted that your kids voted us No. 1 in their holiday experience and this is testament to the hard work & commitment from our team to make our hotel the "go to " family destination in Ireland. I will pass your feedback to the team & look foreword to welcoming you back!
Kilkenny, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Had booked a "family room" on internet but got a double and single, after bringing it to the attention of reception who kept telling me that I had booked it wrong and according to their system I had booked a double and single ( i have 2 children age 4 and 2 but 2 year old is in a bed). Had a copy of the booking which proved i was correct only then did they take my word for it and blamed the "system" for thinking my 2 year old would sleep in a cot. On our first night we had to stay in the double and single room and then on the 2nd night we got the family room. In recognition of the error we got a voucher for 2 adult meals and 20e off our total bill. The family facilities are fantastic. The girls in the kids club are great. Your children will not be bored. The pool and dressing rooms are a bit on the small side. Ate in the main restaurant on the 2nd floor, great choice for breakfast, and our evening meal was just lovely, the staff were great and service was exceptional which is important when you have 2 small children. We also ate in the bar which is over priced and we waited 50 minutes for our main course, children we tired and hungry and we were all just fed up by the time our meal came. e15 for a piece of chicken, a few lettuce leaves and a handful of chips and waiting that time is a bit much. But once again the staff were really nice and very apologetic. Night time was a little noisey with children running up and down the corridors but thats not the fault of the hotel. The rooms are big, spacious and well equipped for a family. Our children had a great time and were kept going with all the activities on site, but unfortunately I come away not 100% impressed. This hotel has great potential if they just got the simple things right. We do look forward to returning to an improved and more efficient hotel in the future.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
AmberSpringsGM, General Manager at Amber Springs Hotel and Health Spa, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Dear Sogorman09,
thank you so much for your feedback, I apologise for the mix up on check in and am glad that the team showed their apology through giving you a small token towards dinner, I am dissapointed that our team in the bar let you down with poor service delivery and I will address this in person with them, I am delighted you enjoyed Kelbys for Dinner / our breakfast buffet & the extensive childrens facilities that we pride ourselves on, we know we can do better and strive to do so every time, I can guarantee that the next time you visit us at The Amber Springs you will see great improvments & efficiencies.- every guest that is not 100% impressed is a let down for our team & myself
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I recently stayed here with my husband and two kids (14 & 9). The hotel was brilliant for both ages lots to do from morning until night. Staff are fantastic couldn't do enough for you. Food was lovely very tasty & a good selection wine very over priced so could work out a little bit pricey especially if your going with a few kids. Family rooms were furnished and very well spaced out didn't feel on top of each other. Swimming pool and spa are lovely. Have to say we had a brilliant weekend and I would definitely go back and recommend.

Room Tip: Local supermarkets are in walking distance so you can easily buy soft drinks & snacks for the ki...