“Lovely weekend but average Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ashdown Park Hotel Conference and Leisure Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Coach Road, Gorey, Ireland   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Gorey
dublin
“Lovely weekend but average Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights with 3 children ages 5, 7 & 2 first impressions were good the receptionist was friendly and welcoming, the lobby was tastefully decorated with plenty of seating areas. We got our room and were very disappointed the room was large but very tired the walls were dirty and the carpet well lets just say bring your slippers with you as it was so stained you would not want to walk on it in bare feet! There were items around the room from previous guests so it really made me think the room had not been cleaned properly. We ate in the bar at lunchtime which was grand. But as you walk around this hotel and maybe sit for a coffee the floors were filthy under the sofas in the lobby and especially in the bar area I watched as staff cleared tables and just brushed crumbs and potato and other food debris onto the floor they don't seem to have anyone dedicated to keeping the floors vacuumed. In the three days I saw no one vacuuming and to top it off we had dinner in the restaurant on the Sunday night came down for breakfast there next morning and the dirty high chair we had used from the night before was sitting there no one had cleaned it down. My conclusion is that they are running a hotel with minimum cleaning staff and it shows! From a positive point of view the girl in the kids club was great and the leisure centre was modern .

Room Tip: I'm not sure there are any?
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
PFinegan, General Manager at Ashdown Park Hotel Conference and Leisure Centre, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Dear Churish,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that your bedroom did not meet your expectation. We have an ongoing deep cleaning and maintenance program, and we will refurbish 10 bedrooms this season. We do have a team cleaning public areas of the hotel from 7am to 9pm daily however at peak season, when the hotel is full , it is an ongoing challenge. I have addressed both the bedroom and the public areas with the accommodation and carvery managers and we will be monitoring carefully.
I am glad that some aspects of your stay were positive and will pass all of your comments on to the staff.
I would be very interested in speaking with you personally with regard to the bedroom and your stay in general - if that is feasible you can reach me on pfinegan@ashdownparkhotel.com.

Paul Finegan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

The place is very hard to find, one sign post saying 1km ahead from the wexford rd in, is actually 3.3km away with Arklow town to be negotiated in between.
Room wasn't ready when we eventually arrived at 3:30pm.  So cleverly we were guided towards the bar food area. Our room (204) was ridiculous, smaller than an average house sitting room (for two adults &2 kids) and a broken kettle thrown in for added flair.
Sliding door on the bathroom
was so dangerous we had to agree not to close/open it in case our 2 year old girl was near it.
Food was ok, and prices on a par with Dublin, wine was grossly overpriced!  Delighted to see our favourite Pinot grigio on the list (for an extortionate €6 more than we pay in Dublin). Breakfast was a stressful experience, tables too tightly packed.
For dinner the manageress left us standing there while she finished what she was doing (in a completely empty restaurant) then seated us in the furthest seat away from everything... blocking the fire exit I might add, in what turned out to be a quiet restaurant.
Kids club was disgraceful.  kids lying on the floor colouring pictures on the carpet, no tables!  No interaction from leaders because they were on their phones.
At 12:30 prompt we received a reminder to say it was check out time!
Upon check out the girl never even asked us how are stay was.
We stopped holidaying in Ireland a few years back because places like this only left us frustrated.  We had hoped this recession had done away with complacent cash houses like this.
NEVER AGAIN!!

• Stayed August 2013
PFinegan, General Manager at Ashdown Park Hotel Conference and Leisure Centre, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Pvflood,

We appreciate your feedback and I have actioned all the relevant points you made with the management and staff. Being ignored on arrival to the restaurant is totally unacceptable - as is a damaged kettle in your bedroom and any member of staff using a mobile phone is prohibited.

There are a number of points I would make in our defense:

We are actually 10 miles from Arklow so I am not sure which sign you refer to. If you meant Gorey Town rather than Arklow then the sign is correct - we are 1 kilometer from the roundabout at Exit 22 - the route is clearly signposted.

We DO have a room with tables and chairs for kids to colour and paint, etc in the play area - the 2nd room has toys for smaller kids and the 3rd is a games room with a tv, couches, etc.

Our Pinot Grigio is €23 which we feel is very well priced. Our house wines start at €21.

The description of bedroom being small is not the feedback we generally receive however as I said we do take all feedback on board - we will certainly address the sliding door if necessary.

As per the details on your reservation and key card wallet check out is at 12 midday so you would have received 30 minutes grace before you received a phone call. Departing the bedroom late has the knock on effect of rooms not being ready for other guests arriving, which you yourself experienced on arrival.

While these reviews are important to us they can also be wildly subjective - Buyer Beware in capitals is a strong statement to make based on the inaccuracies of your review.
Please feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Not exactly 4 star, restaurant lovely , food , service etc. , rooms a bit poor , family room small and not exactly scenic , overall opinion average , for such a hotel that's only 10 years old , could do with a lot of TLC,

• Stayed August 2013
PFinegan, General Manager at Ashdown Park Hotel Conference and Leisure Centre, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Bdmc,

Many thanks for your albeit disappointing review. We are AA 4 Star rated - our inspection took place in June - and I am very disappointed that you felt otherwise. We have an ongoing investment programme in place at the hotel - we will refurbish 10 bedrooms this year and this season added a new smoothie bar with healthy option drinks in the leisure centre. This year we are also adding a games for teenagers and changing our outside space to include more patio / garden space. We also added to our restaurant terrace which was mainly driven by the good weather but was very well received.
We have taken your comments on board and hope that you will give us another chance in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Stopped in here on July 11th 2013. Have been meaning to post a review since. Have stayed in this hotel on several occasions and has always found it first class. Where oh where has the wonderful menu gone to? Stopped in for an evening meal in the restaurant and was shocked to see the menu choice. I have an old favourite from the starter menu of deep fried brie , it wasn't listed , but I put in a request to see if it might possibly be available, but the friendly waitress returned and said no , chef says we have no brie. An alternative such as goats cheese or other was not offered, I think some time ago in this lovely hotel this would most certainly have been the case. I chose the Caesar salad instead and it was very nice. For mains I opted for the chicken, more disappointment, dry chicken, no sauce, dressing , or a dash of colour to tempt the eye if not the palate. My travelling companion chose fish, and again, a very small portion was presented on a bed of nothingness. We shared two small potatoes and some very plain veg. Still feeling hungry I decided on apple pie, cant go wrong here I thought. Wrong again , a small individual pastry case, very dry and brittle, and a tiny squirt of cream on top. Once again bland and tasteless. I don't know what has changed in this hotel, but unfortunately it has not been for the better. Please look back on the wonderful menus and portion sizes of the last year or two and return them to your guests! My fellow diner and I were speaking with one of the managers who happened to be in the dining room , and he was listening attentively to our views , however my companions phone rang and so he politely left the table . Having finished with the phone call and paid the bill we left , and sadly one of our favourite places to eat and stay was a big disappointment.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Shovellist,

I am really disappointed to read your review. We are genuinely passionate about our produce and restaurant offering and while we do not necessarily agree with all you've said we have taken your comments on board. I hope that you give us an opportunity in the future to make amends and please feel free to contact me directly if you decide to do so.

arklow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I spent the night of a wedding there and all was perfect
I booked a double room and a family room and was quoted 130 euro for the family and 100 euro
for the double .but when I checked I was charged 130 euro for the double I questioned it and was gave the run around spoke to 3 different staff and i'm still waiting for a call from the MANAGER

Room Tip: get your quote in writing
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
PFinegan, General Manager at Ashdown Park Hotel Conference and Leisure Centre, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear David W,

As the receptionist, the front office manager and duty manager all explained to you on the day - we do not have a €100 room rate. The reduced rate you paid, as per your reservation, was arranged by the Bride and Groom. The normal rate on a Friday / Saturday in July is substantially higher.

The family room you refer to also paid the agreed wedding rate.
I am glad that you enjoyed the wedding and I absolutely assure you that you were not over charged.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Kids running wild everywhere til late at night even outside bedroom. Breakfast ok bit cold no low low butter no low fat milk. Dinner in bar tasted good when we eventually got it . Terrible service not enough staff on to cater for horse show event. Not cheap for a less than pleasant service. The girl came to table to apologise for delay but no sign of food a while later so went to counter to ask. Guy told me the chef had a lot of dockets to deal with! No sign of any managers to give an explanation! Would not recommend based on this visit. Have function booked here for later in the year but dont know that i would want this again considering cancelling v disappointed

• Stayed July 2013
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

A superb time was had by all, The staff were very friendly,The service was second to none, We all enjoyed the facilities and the food was well above the ordinary,The hotel is very central to everything,

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Ashdown Park Hotel Conference and Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!