“gentle, luxurious relaxaton...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Coolbawn Quay Club, Marina & Spa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coolbawn
Coolbawn Quay Club, Marina & Spa
You added Coolbawn Quay Club, Marina & Spa to your Saves list
Coolbawn | Lough Derg, Coolbawn, Ireland   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cork, Ireland
“gentle, luxurious relaxaton...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Beautiful location, welcoming, helpful staff. The absolute luxury of a "suite" - 2 bedrooms upstairs, cosy, simple but stylish living room downstairs with turf burning stove and lots of turf available, in our own semi-d cottage, with seating area outside. Relaxed straight off with time in hydro-suite and then gentle treatments. Dinner was great, with added personal touch of staff picking up on and marking a birthday celebration very elegantly. Breakfast the next morning included delicious home made granola and "eggy bread" with berries, setting me up for the day.

Couldn't rate the place high enough - come, visit, relax, enjoy.........

Room Tip: If there are more than two of you, request a suite or a cottage.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

had an amazing time in coolbawn this weekend... the spa was top class and all staff were very welcoming and friendly.. setting and athmosphere is out of this world...the food is also something special... cant explain how wonderful this secret gem really is... 10+/10

• Stayed February 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Firstly let me say I have never reviewed anything before, good or bad, but I felt we had to in some way give back to the management and staff of Cool Bawn Quay . We got married in Coolbawn quay last September 2012 and I have to say it was the perfect venue.
The management and staff were outstanding , every need and whim was catered for and more importantly the staff greeted every task with a smile and a friendly chat. Nearly everyone of our guests commented how friendly and chatty the staff were. The food was impeccable and beautifully presented and they even brought out seconds for anybody that could fit them in !.
If you are looking for a venue that you and your friends can take over for a day or weekend at a reasonable price , we cant recommend this venue highly enough. Thanks again to Terry and especially all the staff for making the weekend such a stress free and special memory for us and our guests. Mark and Jan

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Having stayed in one or two "village" style resorts in the UK (although self-catering), I was delighted to find something along the same lines in Ireland. We really wanted to get away for New Year's Eve and I was trying to find somewhere private and peaceful. It's been a hectic year and we just needed some down time.

In general, I don't find hotels particularly relaxing. You're on a schedule and you only have the one room to hang out in unless you're prepared to fork out for a suite. I go to hotels for work or we go to hotels when we are travelling to do something specific. In general, they're a place to sleep in between doing other things.

So the idea of a Hotel where you get your own private space was very attractive.

However, I had a lot of questions and I'm not the most organised of people, so it resulted in me hitting them with a flurry of emails. But instead of losing patience with me, I got an informative and friendly reply to every query. I decided this was a very good start and booked in for 2 nights over New Year's Eve, paying a supplement for a suite (which was totally worth it!) because I wanted a peat stove.

We had a bit of an adventure on the way down when we had to stop and change a tyre in the rain, so when we arrived, we were wet, cold and a bit grumpy. I went to check in and I was explaining my new "drowned rat" look. Immediately, the lady in reception (who I later found out was one of the owners) went to try to see if the Spa could fit us in for a massage despite us arriving late! I'm not much of a massage person so I declined, but the kindness and care of the thought was an introduction to the welcome and personal service you can expect from Coolbawn.

We were told we were booked in to the Bridal Suite (!!!) and were personally taken around to our cottage and shown where everything was.

While I didn't have low expectations, I certainly never imagined that the suite would be quite so lovely (pix attached). A large drawing room, with peat stove. Radio already on and tuned to Lyric FM for that relaxing touch, a large bedroom with canopy bed and a sizable bathroom. And it was blessedly warm!!!

Things like the radio being on when you arrive in your room are the kind of extra, thoughtful touches, that exemplify the Coolbawn experience. This is a hotel that really does care if you enjoy your stay.

We also had a lovely shared patio with a door opening directly out onto it, which for any smokers among you, will be an added bonus.

After getting changed and warmed up, himself decided to dedicate himself to getting our portable wifi set up and I wandered down to the brazier where there was a crowd of people chatting. Within 5 minutes of standing there, I went from slightly lost and not knowing anyone to having a large glass of complimentary mulled wine and chatting away to several friendly people.

The set dinner menu had an excellent and varied selection of food and the service was superb. The food was all freshly cooked and tasty and I really enjoyed the meal. The room was laid out in such a way that we were able to get chatting to other couples who were also dining - and we spent the rest of the evening with them in the bar. New Year was rung in with great enthusiasm and when I went to bed at 2am, the party was still in full swing. That being said, back in the room, you'd never have known there was a party going on, even though we were opposite the bar.

On New Year's Day, all we really wanted was to veg out and relax and what better place to do that than in your own private drawing room with a peat fire going. Breakfast was served until a very civilised 11am and there were still people coming in when we finished, so I think they extended that a little for the reprobates like my husband who had eventually rolled back in at 6am.

For the nature lover, there are lovely walks and the village is very pretty if you just want a short walk. In terms of activities, I think there would be more to do in the Summer when the weather is a little better, but there's a lot to be said for a walk on a crispy winter's day when the sun is shining as it was here.

I can honestly say that I have never found the kind of friendly comfort that I got at Coolbawn in any hotel I've ever stayed in. The environment is lovely and the staff are truly wonderful. If we'd had time, I would have happily stayed another day and I'm already plotting to go again, at least once this year, if we can manage it.

There are a few minor things to be aware of - although personally I consider some of them to be attractions rather than detractions.

1. There's no TV coverage. You'll be warned of this when you book, but all rooms have TVs with DVD players so you can bring your own entertainment. There are also DVDs you can borrow from the Clubhouse, should you forget. We brought a selection of comedy DVDs, but I actually wished I'd brought the Scrabble to be honest!
2. There's no internet in the rooms. There is wifi in the bar though and the 3G coverage is good enough that we were able to get our 3G key working on the wifi hub which provided more than enough bandwidth for our needs. Again, I could have lived without the wifi anyway, but Husband would rather lose a leg than connectivity, so it was a great compromise.
3. The kettle in the room was tiny - could have used a bigger one

And if those are the only things I can find to complain about, then it should be clear just how highly I rate this hotel.

I'm not a Spa person, so I can't comment on those facilities, but from talking to several other guests (virtually all were either repeat visitors, or were planning to be repeat visitors!) I believe that the Spa is well worth a visit.

We don't have children, but there were plenty of families on site as well and the kids all seemed to be having a great time, but without impinging on those of us without younglings. I must give a shout out here to the adventurous young man who decided he was going to have a swim in the dedicated area of the marina!

In this day and age, it is increasingly difficult to relax and unwind. Everyone's on a schedule, everything has to be done now, now, now, hotel staff are overworked and harassed and we all seem to be counting the seconds until it's time to move on to the next thing.

Not in Coolbawn. In Coolbawn, you can sit down and relax. You can daydream by the fire with the radio on. You can go for a walk. You can stay in bed or have a nice hot bath. You can eat your meals in peace, really enjoy your food and not feel that the staff just want to get you out so they can move onto the next meal shift.
If you're really brave, you can even swim in the Loch..... hmmm maybe next visit when it's a bit warmer.....!

The overall feeling at Coolbawn is not that you're a paying guest, but a long lost family member, much missed, that everyone is going out of their way to make feel at home again - combined with the professionalism and facilities that you would expect from a first class hotel.

If you haven't stayed here yet, then please, do yourself a favour and make a booking. You won't regret it.

The only regret I had was that we had to leave at all.

Room Tip: I didn't see any of the other rooms, but I definitely felt we got good value for the supplement...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Went here for a weekend in November for my birthday. What can I say? The place was just lovely. It was bitter cold when we were there but so warm and cosy in our suite which was a huge bedroom with comfy bed and en suite and then an additional sitting room layed out in modern cosy plain but very tasteful decor. So our lodgings were beatutiful, cosy, warm, heating on, candles lighting, just so nice and relaxing.
the place itself is really nice, like an old irish village with nice individual houses ond cottages ont he grounds. I can only comment ont he inside of ours which was spotless nad laid out beautifully but i imagine all the others are the same and equally as nice.
The staff were amazing. So friendly, helpful and never rushing you and there to make your stay as nice as possible. The place is spotless and so well kept. It is spotless and nice candles burning in the bar and dining rooms from early morn all threw the day. There was only us and one other couple the first night we were there and it could ahve been odd but instead it was lovely, just a great place. the lake is right on your doorstep and the boats on it are impressive.
Beautiful place, even when bitter cold and empty, still so nice and lovely break. So in the Summer I can only imagine how nice it would be.
Will definitely be back. Cant say enough good things about this place.
Recomend it to anyone.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Armagh, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This is the first time I have ever written a review for anything in the hospitality industry.
I have been simply amazed at what CoolBawn Quay provided for myself and 26 members of the High Achievers Club. Ever single one of us said we will return. The lay out of the village was unique and the detail love and care and attention that has been put into this piece of Paradise is obvious in every way. The food was delicous and staff very friendly and attentive the views and scenery amazing . I could go on and on all day about how amazing the experience was but the truth is words just can't describe it you gota go and see for yourself .
Thank you Jay and every one at Coolbawn Quay we will all be back for the first weekend in March with a army of people really looking forward to it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Attended a wedding here, fab venue, so picturesque, with beautiful surrounding countryside. Good food, friendly service and lovely accommodation, all topped off with a reliable local girl who babysat our two year old so we could have a lateish night. I'd return in a heartbeat!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Coolbawn Quay Club, Marina & Spa? Share your experiences!