We had the absolute pleasure of staying in The Lodge at Castle Leslie for one night recently, thanks to a very thoughtful Christmas present. What an experience! The Castle is situated in the village of Glaslough, a neat, tidy and orderly little village, almost lost in time. From the moment we stepped inside reception, we were in another world – a very old and quaint one. A very warm welcome was extended to us by a very pleasant, charming, and well-mannered young lady. Check-in was very prompt and she accompanied us up in the lift to our room. The room was absolutely gorgeous and beautifully decorated. We couldn’t get over the size of the bathroom – it had a roll-top bath and an absolutely huge shower! All the rooms in the lodge (which are extremely spacious) overlooked the stables, and all rooms are named after horses that belong to Castle Leslie. Our room was called Tumbleweed. We were booked into the restaurant for dinner at 6.30p.m. and this too was a wonderful experience. Our waitress knew absolutely everything about the menu, where the food was sourced, how it was cooked etc. It was just magic and to top it all Sir Jack (owner of the Castle) arrived for his evening meal. He’s a sprightly 97 year old and it was great to see him. I believe he plays the piano, but we didn’t hear him on that evening as our meal was finished before his. We had a very comfortable sleep, there wasn’t a sound to be heard except at dawn then birds were singing away and the horses in the stables were shuffling about. The more lively ones were looking for their breakfast by banging on the stable doors with their hooves! Our own breakfast was delicious (we wouldn’t have expected anything less) and we took ourselves off for a good walk to have a look around the estate, as we couldn’t see much in the dark the previous evening. Hiking boots or strong shoes are essential as some of the ground can be soft depending on the weather. We encountered squirrels and lots of different birds on our walk. There are also deer on the estate, but we didn’t see them on this occasion. We dropped into the castle, (which overlooks the lake) and had a good look around, it’s a charming olde worlde place with huge log fires, and were shown around some of the rooms by the receptionist. We enjoyed our stay so much that we booked to go back in April of this year – however this time we will be staying in the Castle itself. It’s a lovely place to stay, a great treat, and we couldn’t fault a thing about it – and not as expensive as you might think! We can’t wait, and hopefully we will have the pleasure of listening to Sir Jack play the piano during dinner.
- Also Known As:
- Castle Leslie Estate Hotel Glaslough
- Castle Leslie Estate Hotel
- Castle Leslie
- Castle Leslie Estate Ireland/Glaslough, County Monaghan
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Castle Leslie Estate, nestled on 1,000 acres of undulating Irish countryside, dotted with ancient woodland and glittering lakes, is one of the last great Irish Castle estates still in the hands of its founding family. Castle Estate is waiting to be discovered. Located in Co. Monaghan, Ireland, the Estate is only 80 minutes from Dublin. The Castle (20 individual guestroom), at the heart of the Estate, offers authentic original interiors and old-style hospitality and is a complete respite from the world. The Lodge (29 guestrooms) is the social hub of the Estate and brings locals and guests together in an atmosphere of conviviality and comfort. The Old Stable Mews (12 two bed Mews) & Village Cottages (12 four and five bed cottages) are the perfect spot for families and groups that want the convenience of hotel living combined with private self catering.The Estate offers an idyllic setting for outdoor activity and adventure. It’s the perfect place to discover the thrill of exploring the countryside on horseback or foot. You can spend a few hours fishing on one of Ireland's best-preserved lakes. Alternatively, you might prefer to enjoy a massage in the Victorian Treatment Rooms at the end of an activity packed day or relax with a book in one of our many beautiful rooms. Other activities include Hot Air Balloon rides, carriage rides, kayaking, clay pigeon shooting, and the Kids Saddle Club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Splendia, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Tingo, TripOnline SA and Orbitz so you can book your Castle Leslie Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.