“Good value, reminds me of a better version of Premier Inn” 4 of 5 stars

Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Midway, Portlaoise Co. Laois, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
London, United Kingdom
“Good value, reminds me of a better version of Premier Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed 2 nights at this hotel just after Christmas 2012. This hotel is basic but comfortable. The room was very clean and spacious. Bathroom was very clean with hand wash and shower gel mounted on the wall (Dove brand) so I would suggest bringing you own if you don't want to use something that's been used by others! Beds were comfortable and I'd stayed with my wife and our little girl, no compliants. Unfortunately there is no room service, so don't expect to order any food or drinks. I went downstairs to the bar and got a bottle of wine on the first night. The following evening after the room has been made up the empty bottle and glasses were left on the table...not sur if we should have brought them down ourselves. Was also surprised some rooms are smoking rooms, I didn't even think this was still legal. On the morning after our first night stayed (at around 7am) the alarm went off for around 5 seconds...think this could be caused by someone smoking!! Generally the hotel felt a little under staff, but all the staff we met were friendly and well presented. One other strange thing was that one of the mugs in our room was labelled 'Comfort Inn Hotel'. Did Maldron Hotels used to be part of Comfort Inn?? If not, why on earth would you use cups/mugs from another hotel. Overall price was very reasonable and the hotel is very near the M7 motorway and main town centre. Also has fitness centre and pool. Remind me of a better version of a Premier Inn Hotel. Probably would stay there again for convenience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

Good points. The food was great. Garlic mushrooms had a bit too much sauce. But the steak and desert was top notch. Breakfast was also good.
Leisure centre was clean and not to busy.

Bad points. Traffic outside hotel could be a problem for some at night.
I had to move too 3 different rooms for faulty heating and a broken window handle. How the cleaner missed the broken handle is beyond me. If the cleaner did report the problem why are people be offered this room??
It seemed as if the hotel could do with more staff on at night time. The girl at reception did try and did say sorry for the trouble.
The carpet throughout the hotel was very dirty and sick stains or drink strain on floor 2.

Overall the hotel is fine. but with the carpet and the lack of staff it just lacks that final touch that makes you want to book again.

• Stayed December 2012
Caitrionaogorman, Guest Relations Manager at Maldron Hotel Portlaoise, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear NEILMCN

Thank you for your recent review. I am very concerned regarding your comments as these are not regular issues we would encounter in our Hotel. I would like to discuss with you & apologise in person. Could I ask you to contact me on lgorman@maldronhotels.com with your contact details and a suitable time that I may contact you.

Linda Gorman
HR Manager
dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

myself and my wife stayed at the maldron on their two nite BB plus one evening meal. from the moment we arrived we were made most welcome. the standard of food was very good along with the service. our evening meal was super with a goods choice. of dishes. in my dealings over the phone with the hotel i found them to be most helpful. will return agan . many thanks.....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Caitrionaogorman, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Portlaoise, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Robert d,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with Maldron Hotel Portlaoise.
I am delighted to read how you enjoyed the welcoming athmosphere created by our team & I look forward to your return to Maldron Hotel Portlaoise again soon.

General Manager.
Derry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

ive have stayed here now two times, my last visit being on the 4th december 2012, staff are always welcoming, rooms always quiet and clean and comfortable

fantastic resturant on the ground floor offering carvery lunch and al a cart in the evening with a fantastic early bird offer

fantastic location just of junction 17 on the m7

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Anita J,

Thank you for recent view of your stay with us. I have passed your lovely comments of our hotel to our team here in the hotel. we look forward to welcoming you back to Maldron Hotel Portlaoise again soon.

Linda Gorman
HR Manager
Cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

The Maldron had an offer of 4 course meal, and b&b that was too good to refuse. I stayed there expecting a basic hotel, with basic food etc. I was really impressed with the whole experience. The room was spotless, bed comfortable, tea/coffee facilities plentiful. The staff were very friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. The evening meal and breakfast were fresh, tasty and plentiful. The leisure centre is excellent, and very family friendly. The fact that the hotel is just off the motorway, and that there is plentiful parking was a great added bonus. The hotel is one I would really recommend. They seem to have great deals which really adds to the value for money experience we all want!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Caitrionaogorman, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Portlaoise, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Helen O,

Thank you for your recent review on your stay with us here in Maldron Hotel Portlaoise.

Thank you for acknowledging our Leisure facilities, which offer a 20M Pool, kiddies pool, Jacuzzi, sauna, steam room & gym. Our Health & fitness team have a great pride in our facility and their work and I will certainly pass your comments to them.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I am working in Ireland as usual there are lots of hotels to choose from . Maldron hotels are always a safe bet.
The rooms are large and spacious . The menu is limited if your staying for a long time, but is ok. The breakfast is great lots of choice. The gym and pool are an added bonus. The staff are very friendly what more could you ask ?

• Stayed November 2012
Caitrionaogorman, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Portlaoise, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Wardypj,

Thank you for leaving a review on your recent stay with us in Portlaoise and indeed your acknowledgement on the standards delivered across the board in all Maldron Hotels.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Maldron Hotel Portlaoise.

Caitriona O' Gorman

Been to Maldron Hotel Portlaoise? Share your experiences!