“Weird set up!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Dublin, Ireland
“Weird set up!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I rang this hotel and specifcally asked if they had a band/singer in the lounge at the weekend. They said no but come Saturday night we were happy to see two guys setting up, very good singers but a bit late starting at 10.40 in the evening......very strange.

My main problem with this hotel is that there is no separate bar area, where you have your breakfast is where you drink in the evening or eat your dinner/lunch. There seems to be no dedicated staff, waiters are barmen and visa versa. There can be a wait sometimes when you want a drink. I felt quite sorry for the staff, they seemed run off their feet. I didn't like the fact they were setting up for breakfast while the band was playing.

There is no covered smoking area, can't understand this at all! And because the hotel was full the swimming pool was packed with kids jumping into the pool, we just couldn't enjoy it.

The hotel was clean and modern, staff were mostly friendly and polite. One guy did abruply tell us though that they were booked out for dinner......fair enough if they were but a little manners goes a long way.

To be honest I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Caitrionaogorman, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Portlaoise, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear PJmb1976,

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback on your recent stay in Maldron Hotel Portlaoise. It is only through constructive feedback that we can continue to improve and grow our service standards.

PJmb1976, When you called earlier in the week before your stay with us, the hotel indeed had no music arranged. On the same date as your stay we had a large group staying in house with us, who on Friday asked if it was possible to arrange some music for them for Saturday night. In Maldron Hotel Portlaoise, we always aim to meet the needs of our guests, hence why at the last minute we did arrange live music for our bar for Saturday night.
Our bands generally play from 10.30pm until well after midnight, but I have been told by our Restaurant Manager that they did run 5-10 minutes late due to a small technical hiccup with a piece of their equitment.

I hope this will clarify any confusion for you and again I sincerely thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Caitriona O' Gorman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
navan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Nice hotel we stayed in last weekend.Kid friendly lovely pool.The staff were very friendly couldnt do enough for you.We ate in the restaurant the food was lovely couldnt fault it and very reasonable.Good kids menu aswell no rubbish on it!!!.Would stay again for sure.Room nice and spacious everything in it you could need.

Dear Mark S,

Thank you for your reviewing your stay with us in Maldron Hotel Portlaoise & for the compliments you have written about our team in the Hotel. As a team we try very hard to meet and exceed the individual needs of all of our customers, ensuring that each and every guests has a comfortable, relaxing and enjoyable stay with us.

MarkS, I hope you will return to Maldron Hotel Portlaoise.

County Clare, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Really good value for money and lovely staff - midway from Cork to Dublin - ideal stopover - rooms clinical & corporate but very comfortable bed and very clean.
Ideal business hotel but we had fun in leisure too.
Leisure centre attached.
Cheap room only rate but very good

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Caitrionaogorman, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Portlaoise, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Aoibhinncork,

Thank you for your review of Maldron Hotel Portlaoise. We hope to welcome you back to Maldron Hotel Portlaoise again some day.

Louth, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Stayed here for the weekend with my wife and kids one of which is special needs, we were made very welcome the rooms was very spacious and clean had all you could ask for even was offered a DVD player for the kids and the kitchen staff took care of my sons special requirements without a problem. There was plenty of choice on the menu and the steaks were cooked to perfection and the chicken wings were to die for. Very good selection on breakfast and the chef, I think was Trevor, was very considerate and thoughtful of my sons needs as was the restaurant manager. We had a great time and will definitely return. I would give them 5 star for their customer care and food

Dear GeraldineM,

Thank you for your recent review on your stay in Maldron Hotel Portlaoise.
We are indeed ideally set up to deal with the individual needs of all of our guests.

GeraldineM, I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Maldron Hotel Portlaoise.

Caitriona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here on Monday night with my family, room nice & plenty of room. Hotel very clean. Dinner was included was very good. Seemed to be very busy was great athmosphere. Pool was lovely and bright kiddies pool ideal when u have toddlers. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Johnc808,

Firstly I would like to thank you for reviewing your stay in Maldron Hotel Portlaoise.
We do indeed have a lovely kiddies pool, suitable for all ages. This is also complimented by our 20 Metre pool.

JohnC808, I look forward to welcoming you back to Maldron Hotel Portlaoise.

ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

Very relaxing friendly staff nice pool and gym area. Nice food and drink.free bowling down the road. Games room for kids and food court next door with six different take aways. Would dEfinitely go again in the future.handy for anyone to pull in from a long journey. Great Indian restaurant in the town called the king fisher. Also try laser quest up the road. Another great day out for the kids if you like a relaxing break this is the hotel for you most definitely

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear GedIreland,

Thank you for your review of Maldron Hotel Portlaoise.

It is good to read that you had time to enjoy our hotel, Our local Childrens activity centre and indeed sample some of the fine restaurants in Portlaoise town.

GedIreland I hope that you will return again to Maldron Hotel Portloaise in the near future.

Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I hate giving bad reviews and for that reason this is the first that I've given on TripAdvisor. The hotel itself is modern and nice enough but I think the problems we encountered were down to understaffing and bad management.

We stayed here last Saturday night after getting a deal online. When we arrived at reception there were three groups ahead of us in the queue and we waited over 45 minutes before we got the key to our room. There were problems with each of the parties ahead of us and our own reservation had not been processed even though I had received a booking confirmation earlier in the week. The girl behind reception was very nice but she had to deal with so many problems with each check in, e.g. rooms not being ready (at 3.50pm), etc. All the while she was trying to get through the queue of people checking in, she was taking calls from external enquiries, guest enquiries and housekeeping. Although a manager stepped in to help her with the queue it didn't seem to help.

When we went up to the room there was a smell of stale smoke and a cigarette burn on the desk chair. Admittedly we didn't specifically request a non-smoking room but I thought non-smoking rooms were the norm. Otherwise the room was clean.

We ate dinner at the Stir restaurant and the food was nice enough although nothing special. Again we had a long wait to get the bill as they were busy.

At night the room was very stuffy, even with the window open. We realised at 3.30am that there was a hen party in the room next door who had returned from a night out. We also realised when they returned that our room was connected to theirs by a doorway that we had not bothered to check earlier in the day. This meant that we heard every single word they were saying. In fairness when my boyfriend knocked on their door and explained the situation to them they moved to another room straight away. I don't think that it was fair on them either because they should have been able to enjoy themselves, but because our rooms were joined we could hear them even when they were whispering. I just feel that it was completely inappropriate to give strangers adjoining rooms.

Breakfast the following morning was the usual English/continental breakfast. The staff in the restaurant were friendly but I think they were still clearing/setting up tables from the night before.

When we checked out we weren't asked how our stay was so we didn't comment, but I doubt very much that I'll ever stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Caitrionaogorman, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Portlaoise, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear Amurf83,

Thank you for highlighting the issues you encountered during your recent stay with us.
I would really like to discuss your stay with you and I ask that you contact me at cogorman@maldronhotels.com with your phone number and a suitable time I could call you.

As a management team, we aim to ensure that all of our guests are treated individually and have an excellent stay with us.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Caitriona O' Gorman

Been to Maldron Hotel Portlaoise? Share your experiences!