“Nice homely breakfast” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Gandon Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Portlaoise
The Gandon Inn
You added The Gandon Inn to your Saves list
Emo | Old Dublin/Cork N7 road, Portlaoise, Ireland   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Portlaoise B&B and Inns
“Nice homely breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Called to the gandon recently for breakfast on the way to Dublin one morning. Very good value big homely breakfast very nice and good choice of toast and brown bread. However when I asked for no black pudding just white and my breakfast came out with both on it I said to the waitress I only wanted white pudding and she replied yes you can just leave it on the side. I wasn't happy and asked her to please swap the black for white. I was a bit put off by her response to be honest but other than that enjoyed my meal

• Stayed May 2013
GandonInn, Front Office Manager at The Gandon Inn, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your experience with us. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your breakfast. I am however sorry to hear your waitress wasn't quicker to change your order to what you had requested. Thank you for your comments. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Stacey Connor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stopped off here for a bite to eat on the way back from Limerick recently. As a restaurant, this place has plenty of potential but for me falls a little short of the mark. I ordered the burger, which was extremely tasty and made from locally sourced beef. But the chips were just standard fare. The dining room is a fine space, but feels a little makeshift, with odd matching chairs and catering tables as opposed to matching tables and chairs units. With a splash of paint and little bit of care put into furnishings, it would feel a lot more welcoming and a lot less cafeteria. The staff was welcoming, quick to seat us, take our orders and ensure we were looked after. So all in all, I enjoyed our meal but really feel with a little more investment this place could become a real winner.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GandonInn, Front Office Manager at The Gandon Inn, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your experience with us. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your burger, it’s a firm favourite with our regulars. We appreciate that you feel we have the potential to be a real winner. We are always striving to improve, and re-decorating certain areas is definitely high on our to-do list in the future! Thank you for your comments. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kilkeel, Co Down United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

took my mum and family here today for mothers day. I had a booking for 3pm but our table wasnt ready and didnt get sitting until 3.20 and didnt get served until 3.35. Eventually when we did get served I asked if I could have my veg on a different plate and I was told they only serve the veg with the meal on the SAME plate.. Ok by this time I just wanted to leave but stayed on. The food came and it was terrible. The veg was hard, the spuds were cold and the beef was so tough and full of fat.... I had enough and just wanted to leave I went up to pay the bill and it came to 153.00 Euro.. I paid and asked for a receipt and was told the machine doesnt work but I insisted I wanted one and the lady played about with the machine and it worked fine. When I got my receipt I noticed I was charged for "9" apple pies!!!!!! WHAT.. first of all there was only 5 adults and 2 kids..... I was finally overcharged 18 Euro!! what a joke... no apology or anything.. just they were very busy with other functions.. so the people who were out for mothers day were not important. I can assure you I will never go back there nor would I ever recommend them!! ALWAYS CHECK THE RECEIPT!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
GandonInn, Manager at The Gandon Inn, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
I would like to start by truly apologising for the fact that your family meal was so unsatisfying on Mother’s day. I can assure you that we will be thoroughly investigating all of the issues you have raised and I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review. Without feedback like yours we wouldn’t have been made aware of these very serious issues. I want to assure you that we are taking this very seriously. I would greatly appreciate if you could send me an email on reception@gandoninn.com (FAO: Stacey) with your contact details so that I can send you the amount you were over charged immediately.
Portlaoise, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Following our childs' Christening in December we dined in the Gandon Inn along with 30 guests. Couldn't fault anything on the day, food was fantastic - "great value for money" and the staff were very courteous & efficient.
Management were extremely helpful & accommodating while planning this special day.
Would strongly recommend you visit the Gandon Inn and judge for yourself. Thanks again to management & staff for a great day.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
GandonInn, Front Office Manager at The Gandon Inn, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your experience with us on the day of your child's Christening. I'm so happy that you enjoyed your meal on the day and found it great value for money. We appreciate your comments very much and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Portarlington, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We had a family gathering at the Gandon Inn on Saturday 5th January 2013. The menu was agreed some weeks beforehand and seemed very good value for money. On the day of the of the function, for 60+ people, some extra deserts had been added to the list, which went down a treat with all the family. The value for money was not good, but as they say on strictly come dancing, it was fantastic.
The staff are very friendly and highly efficient and did all in their power to make it a memorable day for all.
Thanks again to all at the Gandon Inn.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
GandonInn, Front Office Manager at The Gandon Inn, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your recent family function with us. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your meal and that you found our staff so competent. It was a pleasure to deal with all of you in the preparations prior to your party. I look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We were a group of 22 who had our Christmas get-together at the Gandon. We were seated in the end of the function room with a view of Laois and a surprisingly sunny day. The menu was wide and varied. I reckon everyone tried something different from the menu. We were very well looked after by the friendly staff. The orders were quick to arrive at the tables and there were no problems at all. The Gandon was very busy this day but the staff and kitchen were obviously well in control. The food was fantastic, everyone in our group was more than satisfied as we waddled to the bar for a drink. The cost for this 4 course meal was under €20 which was great value. Thanks again to the Gandon and we look forward to seeing you in 2013.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
GandonInn, Front Office Manager at The Gandon Inn, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us.
I'm delighted to hear that you and your group enjoyed your meal and time with us. We look forward to welcoming you again in 2013!

Kind regards,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Stopped for food today for some Sunday lunch on our way from Dublin to Limerick.Menu looked tasty and inviting but the food we were served was disgustingly bland and a mixture of overcooked/undercooked items.Myself and my girlfriend got 2 different meals but looked identical apart from the meat, had planned on having dessert and coffee when we got there but decided against it after the disappointment of our mains.Won't be stopping again

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experince with us.
I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your meal with us when you stopped in, as we pride ourselves on serving tasty, nutritious meals. We use fresh locally sourced vegetables and Bord Bia approved Irish meats cooked using combi steam ovens to preserve flavour and nutrients.

Kind regards,
Stacey Connor

Been to The Gandon Inn? Share your experiences!