“Great Little Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 35 restaurants in Portlaoise
Cuisines: European
Description: Daytime cafe & foodhall - organic meat, home baking, reasonable prices, deli, all day breakfast.
Co. Offaly
“Great Little Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is one great little restaurant in the heart of the little town of Stradbally a great location.
I have been there on a number of occasions and I would highly recommend a visit.
There is a great variety from start to finish.
Wheather it is for afternoon tea, sunday lunch or even a private function they cater for all of your needs.
The Staff are great and very accomodating
Coffee is great and as for the desserts, something else.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Stradbally F, Manager at Stradbally Fayre, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Many thanks for you kind words . always great to get such positive feedback

73% Recommend
“Great all round”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Regularly I would visit this cafe/restaurant with my friends, we'd generally meet up here for a coffee and something sweet and a natter. I have to say I'm always impressed with everything. The coffee is wonderful, not to me toon the sweet treats, there's always something for everyone, finally tried their apple crumble and it was delicious! Staff is always friendly, I always find them so pleasant and helpful. The restaurant is beautifully designed, and always so clean!! Prices are reasonable too have seen worse

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thanks you kindly for such positive feedback. we pride ourselves in our friendly service and how important it is to greet with a smile. Our desserts tho hard work, we make all here in store daily and always win our customers over.
We look forward to hopefully serving you again soon

Dublin, Ireland
“Birthday Lunch”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

It's such a pity here that the service and food is so poor as the location is excellent. I have been here several times and the food is always poor. Even a sandwich can be a complete let down. And its not cheap. There never seems to be enough staff either. I try to support local business but its hard when its just so poor.

Visited June 2013
So disappointed on reading this review as we do our utmost to please everyone coming through our door. We are proud that people choose to dine with us and feedback like this makes us even more eager to please in customer satisfaction and in this case consistency.
we pride ourselves in buying our produce local and our meats buying irish.
Due to the downfall in economy we have had to make cuts in staff hours but merely as a method of survival.
we genuinely and sincerely thank you for you feedback and encourage you this will be addressed.

Hoping to serve you again down the line

Athy, Kildare, Ireland
“Unpleasant Staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Sorry to write a poor review but on our last visit on a Sunday afternoon we met a young lady member of staff who clearly does not enjoy her job. Perhaps just a bad day but you can't have those in the restaurant business. The foor was not bad but the service left bad taste. We had finished a lovely walk in the Windy Gap woods with the kids and choose to eat out rather than go home and cook. We won't return unfortunately.

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
It is with sorrowful regret i have to read this review and find how disappointed you felt after your visit.
I sincerely take huge pride when seeing people coming through our doors and choosing to eat with us. This however should also be reflected through all our floor staff and even our kitchen staff.
I cannot make excuses at this time but only deepest regret at loss of your custom.
I have duely taken note of your comments and most definitely steer to improvements in this area.
Perhaps down the line you may call again and we will do our utmost to be in top form

kildare
“Third time lucky??? Not this time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

My third visit and my last. First time visited was about 3 years ago and I ordered a "BLT" the menu described it as having crispy bacon. I got it as a take away and when I opened it up I was sickened to find the bacon was mostly fat and like jelly, certainly not crispy as described. I ended up having to remove all the bacon(fat).
Second visit was about a year ago, approx 5.30 pm and I needed a caffeine hit, I saw their take away coffee sign, so I pulled in for one. The doors were open and I entered, all the chairs were up on the tables and the waitress was mopping the floor (clearly they were nearly closed, yet the doors were open) I asked for a takeaway coffee and I got a very abrupt "we're closed". I felt annoyed as the doors were open and it wouldn't have taken a minute to serve a coffee for a takeaway. The least she could have done was be polite and made up an excuse like "sorry we're closed and the coffee machine is turned off or being cleaned".
Today was my third and final visit, I said I'd give this place one last chance, I went in and ordered a coffee to go. I got the coffee and was shown where the milk and sugar was. They only had cubes of white sugar, no brown sugar, and as fussy as it may sound I don't like cubes as I only take 1/2 a teaspoon of sugar. Anyway I set off in the car with my coffee, went to take a drink and the coffee spilled all down my shirt. It turns out the lid was slightly too large for the cup. Any coffee drinker will know how annoying this is and how it shows a complete lack of attention to detail by this cafe.
By the way the coffee was €2.00 and only average.
So unfortunately I will continue to get my daily take away coffees from McDonald's drive thru in Portlaoise, where at least you get a decent coffee, from friendly staff, with lids that fit the cup.
It's a shame for stradbally fayre as I pass it twice a day, and would definatley stop for lunch or a coffee if they were better at what should be their area of expertise.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
It is with regret i have to write this response.
It is procedure of our cafe that although our opening hours are 9-6 we will not refuse a customer after this time once our fryers or coffee machine etc has not cooled down.
Our staff wait until after closing hours to start any clean up and thus will be onsite for at least another hour to which many customers avail to sit for the extra time chatting whilst behing scene clean up commences.
We pride that on many occasions especially throughout the summer months we could serve people up until 7-8 o clock and our staff are fully flexible and must be commended for this.
I sincerely appologise for how you were made feel on the day you called and with regards to cups, sugar etc i have taken note and improvements made on all your feedback.
I sincerely thank you for your comments aim to improve