“Fabulous, Fabulous, Fabulous” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Roundwood House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mountrath
Roundwood House
You added Roundwood House to your Saves list
Roundwood, Mountrath, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mountrath
Boston
“Fabulous, Fabulous, Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2007

What a fabulous place to stay. My wife and I had two amazing days at Roundwood, walking in the Slieve Bloom Mountains and visiting Kilkenny. The accommodation, food and hosts were the best we had on our two week trip to Ireland. The House is from the Georgian era and is absolutely stunning, surrounded by beautiful gardens (and animals). We have never fealt so relaxed and away from the hustle of big towns. Frank and his wife were just amazing, and such fun to listen to. We ate both nights with all the other gusets and got such an insight into Irish (and International) culture.

Go there and enjoy.

Dan

ps I can't believe the previous review that this is an ordinary B&B. I can not thnk of anything less ordinary. My wife and I find all of our accommodation through Trip Advisor and thank god we did not see the previous review before we selected our accommodation

• Liked — Beautiful house and amazing hosts
  • Disliked — ............ could not stay longer
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2007

I’m a bit surprised to read all the previous raving reviews (Roundwood house is not in Wicklow btw). My husband and I stayed in Roundwood house in April 2007. The house and garden are lovely. We had gorgeous weather, but unfortunately there is no place to sit and enjoy the garden, though we could have a nice stroll after breakfast or dinner.

We had the nicest room (the green room) in the main house. It was nice a old specious room with a curiously small double bed. If you are a bit tall or a bit big you will not fit on the bed.

We had the diner on one of the nights and were not impressed at all. The courses were very bland and the meat was erratically seasoned. Also as one of the courses was grilled grapefruit with cinnamon, you are better off keeping your Eur 50 pp (excluding drinks which are charged at Dublin restaurant prices) in your pocket and enjoy a nice meal in one of the small towns in the area.

Breakfast is a typical B&B affair, with boxed cereal, yoghurt, dried fruit and a fried Irish breakfast. No special arrangements are made for vegetarians even if you advise you are one in advance. There was no breakfast menu.

The location is good, you can make nice daytrip to Kilkenny and Birr from here (We highlyt recommed visiting the Birr castle demesne!) and it's about 40 minutes from Dublin.

In short this is a basic B&B in a nice setting. If you are looking for something special, you will have to look further.

• Liked — views from room
  • Disliked — the food
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Milan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2006

My fiancé and I spent a lovely weekend at Roundwood House, Mountrath! In a beautiful region, an amazing house, warm and gracious hospitality and great food, the best we had in Ireland. Our room was spacious, elegant and very comfortable, but the house and its gardens offered so many pleasant corners hardly describable in a few lines.

I would definitely recommend it to friends.

• Liked — Hospitality, food and decor
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — a longer stay
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2006

My husband and I stayed at this hotel/B&B for 1 night. Having read earlier reviews I was expecting a very high standard and was therefore prepared to pay more than usual. We paid EUR 75 each (i.e. EUR150 for the 2 of us for the night) which was extremely expensive for what we got. An average B&B would cost about EUR40 per person per night.

It was a very average stay. I should add that we were not staying in the main house, we were staying around the back in a much older, less inviting building. Perhaps the main house is much more luxurious. Our room was very basic, there were no facilities - no tea and coffee making facilities, no tv. The shower was terrible, just a trickle of roasting hot water which scalded rather than cleaned. The most peculiar thing was that there were no keys to any of the rooms..so everybody slept with open doors. We didn't particularly mind this but if I had been a woman on my own I would have been much more concerned.

The breakfast was the standard B&B fare - cereal, yogurt, full Irish fry-up, toast, coffee: exactly the same as the breakfast which you'd get in a regular B&B. As a vegetarian, this means I just had eggs and tomatoes - not very impressive. For this price one would have expected a menu with choice rather than 2 scrambled eggs..

All in all, an average stay which was expensive at the price - poor value for money. The grounds and house, however, are lovely as is the surrounding countryside.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
pannah2, owner at Roundwood House, responded to this review, May 16, 2007
We are very sorry to read that any guest has a disappointing stay at Roundwood. Of course the whole point of Trip Advisor is that reviewers must be free to say exactly how they feel, and we agree wholeheartedly with this principle.

We would like to make two brief comments in response to MiaMe’s post. The first is regarding the valid point made about the showers in the Yellow House. We are now aware that they are not of a satisfactory standard and are making plans to have them replaced. The second refers to the suggestion that doors without locks are a potential security threat for women staying on their own. We feel it necessary to stress here that, as well as being a hotel, Roundwood is our family home and in the twenty four years we’ve run it as such we haven’t had a single security-related incident. The fact that Roundwood is an unspoilt, historic house, and not a typical hotel, is very appealing to most of our guests. We continue in our endeavours to provide our guests with a pleasurable stay in a relaxed and informal environment.

Yours sincerely,

Frank & Rosemarie Kennan

San Mateo, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2006

We (myself, my mother and my two boys) stayed at Roundwood House on our way from Dublin to Kerry. The house itself is just beautiful. The room was nice and it was comfortable. Our windows overlooked the beautiful garden and all I could hear for miles were birds!! It was out of a fantasy. My boys had a wonderful time exploring the gardens. My mom and I enjoyed the breakfast and wished we had enjoyed dinner as well. Our hosts, Frank and Rosemarie, were friendly and made us all feel very welcome. I would highly recommend this wonderful home for your visit. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed June 2006
Helsinki
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2006

We stayed in Coach House, which is a lovely place and especially nice for children. Horses, peacocks jumping to the roof, playful dogs Frodo and Sheridan, big back yard for football and much more. Roundwood House is very well situated to explore Kilkenny, Tullamore, Birr and many other places. I would highly recommend Roundwood House!!

Stayed July 2006
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2006

I stayed at Roundwood for just one night recently and would have liked to stay for more. The house is very relaxing, and Frank and Rosemarie make you feel at ease straight away. Unfortunately it rained a lot when we were there, but got to explore a little of the grounds before we left. The food is great there, lovely dinner and breakfast, and I liked the communal dining, although this may not be to everyones taste.

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Roundwood House? Share your experiences!