“Who is giving this hotel 5star reviews?” 2 of 5 stars

Osprey Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Devoy Quarter, Naas, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Naas
Dublin, Ireland
“Who is giving this hotel 5star reviews?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Seriously?
Two night stay midweek so it was quiet. The receptionist was lovely, but the manager beside her was so unbothered by my partners questions about the local area that he didn't even look up from his computer as he answered.
The room was shabby. I read on the website that the rooms were top of the range, with high speed wifi, mood lighting, comfortable beds, rain showers etc.
High Speed Wifi ? Didn't connect at all day 1 , enquired and was told they were having technical issues. Day 2 connected but as soon as you moved away from a certain spot in the room it went off, and you continuously had to re-enter the WiFi code which was seriously irritating.
Mood Lighting? This was the funniest one, Mood lighting according to the Osprey is a few flourescent lights above the bed which constantly flicker. Hardly "mood" enhancing. There are two spotlights on shelves recessed beside the bed but no bedside lamps.
The double bed, was two single beds shoved together. A pet hate of mine.
The walls and upholstery *which was velvet was stained.
The bathroom had corners on the tiles which had never seen a mop.
The side of the bath in the bathroom fell off as soon as my knee knocked against it. There was a ferocious smell of old water and damp in it. . there was a shower curtain. Also a pet hate of mine and seriously unhygienic. Had to put it inside of the bath to stop the "rainshower" from drowning the entire bathroom,
The room had two oil heaters in it but no radiators or working air con.

Onto the spa. The Spa staff were quite helpful and nice, I guess working with what they have.
The hydro floatation pool had half of the lights broken in the pool. Two were working down the far end of the pool. There was no relaxing music piping in from anywhere..so I bobbed around bored out of my head for 10 mins (of a half hour treatment and left) When I got out to take my shower in the room afterwards, the shower gushed out hot/cold water. I was given one small towel.
I moved onto the various sauna/sanarium/steam rooms.. as I started down the hall where the rooms were I was met with the foulest stench of urine mixed with old damp water ever. It was actually stomach turning. This was the area where the "Experience Showers" were. There was also a dodgy flood across the floor. Again, no sign of anyone to either complain to or ask about the disgusting smell.
The paint job in the Spa is dodgy to the say the least. Its totally run down and I would never bother to grace it again especially as I couldn't find ANY member of staff unless I went the TWO floors back down to the spa and pool reception?!
The spa didn't even have a thermal pool or a hot tub.

I didn't bother to use the dodgy looking chlorine pool.

I wanted two nights of relaxation and rest. It was neither. If you want to go on a relaxing break for this price SHOP around. I have been in both Dunboyne Castle Spa and The Meryck Spa in Galway and these are miles ahead of this place.

Obviously no money has gone into this once well known hotel in a long time. Though I see the manager John something or other constantly responding to complaints with a myriad of excuses and ignorance.. On one review I read complaining about similar to what I just have he said "We are currently undergoing full refurbishment" ... This was one year ago in 2012. No sign of refurbishment - what a joke.

Avoid like the plague. You'd probably pick it up here anyway.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
JCaffreyRM, General Manager at Osprey Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Ancient Mariner_11,

Well, to quote from the poem from whence you got your Tripadvisor moniker;

''God save thee, ancient Mariner! From the fiends, that plague thee thus!'

Clearly you are not a fan of the Osprey so I won't attempt to waste your time with my 'myriad of excuses and ignorance'. Suffice it to say I don't agree with much of what you say, for example there is only one light in the hydro flotation pool and as your picture demonstrates, it was working correctly.

The hotel is over ten years old and I agree there are areas that are in need of freshening up but I stand over my comments about the hotel's refurbishment project in previous responses to reviews. So far we have completely redecorated our lobby, our ballroom, our conference centre, some (but clearly not all) of our bedrooms and parts of the main bar, all completed in 2012 with stage two of that plan going ahead in 2013 which will include the spa area as well as more bedrooms. I'm afraid these things take time and do not tend to be completed within a calendar year.

Also, as I have mentioned in previous replies to guests, it is always best to tell us during your visit that you are unhappy with any aspect of your stay and we will do everything in our power to resolve the issue for you then and there, be it by by moving you to a room that will be acceptable or by meeting with myself or one of my management team during your stay to voice your concerns or unhappiness so that we can address them.

Should you choose to return to the Osprey in the future I would be more than happy to meet with you personally and ensure that you were satisfied with every aspect of your stay. I stand over my team and our commitment to guest care and am delighted to note that even though you did not enjoy your time with us you still had kind words for those members of the team with whom you did interact for which I thank you on their behalf.

Regards,

John Something or Other
Complex Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Booked it for a couples night. Price was very fair. Staff on the whole were very friendly. Bathroom was really nice, room was nice too. The Spa and pool area is a nice touch, especially as most of it is included with the room. This isn't the fanciest hotel in the world, but we definately enjoyed the stay.

Breakfast was good. Lots of parking. There is a big nightclub as part of the complex, but we couldn't hear a thing from the room. Free entry for all guests too.

Would go again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Amy C, Guest Relations Manager at Osprey Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear elgriff2000,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor and for your kind words about the Osprey Hotel. I am glad you availed of our facilities and had the opportunity to enjoy them. I was delighted to read that you will return and I look forward to welcoming you back. Don't leave it too long!

Navan, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I took a deal from Grabone on a package for this Hotel + spa, and also added an extra night at normal rate. Upon arrival, the receptionist was friendly and helpful, Unfortunately that was as good as it got with regard to a warm welcome. The room was not very nice, it was in fact more a dual floor apartment. The room upstairs was a basic seating area, with a tv and fridge, desk ... nothing special. No coffee table, just a sofa, a few random chairs and a desk. It wouldn't have been so bad only the sofa and armchair in there were filthy! And I mean, really badly stained. I don't even want to imagine what some of the white stains on the sofa might have been. Hopefully spilled yoghurt! Ok, so we weren't really going to use this room, the main bedroom was down 2 sets of stairs ... why? no idea really, I didn't ask for a split room. The bedroom was alright, it seemed to be clean enough, A few niggles: the sink in the bathroom had no obvious way of unplugging, you pretty much had to poke your finger in to open the stopper ... nice. The shower sprayed out on to the floor too, even with the curtain in place all around the shower is in the bath, over towards the end of it, bit of a strange layout. But, it worked at least. The usual overly starched bed clothes, on very high, and very wobbly beds. No big deal. During the night the doors which led out to a half-hearted outside area, which pretty much exposed you to a busy car-park, blew wide open! I didn't realise they weren't locked! And when I tried to, well, they didn't seem to want to lock.

We went for a hot stone massage the second day, I was a few minutes late heading down, and when I got there I wasn't offered a robe or towel, just shown a room, told to strip to my shorts and wait. The girl who performed the stone massage was friendly enough, though never spoke throughout. And again, once done, it was pretty much 'ok, put your clothes back on, that's it' - everyone else there had robes and/or towels, and I felt a little awkward walking through the spa area once done, like I wasn't supposed to be there. I wonder was this rushed, half-hearted treatment down to the fact I was 5 minutes late!? I still had to pay full, so if that's the case, maybe I should have only paid for the time I received?

The food was good in the bar, but the bar staff were lax at best. A couple of times I really felt like they were ignoring us. After we ate the meal, we were never asked if we wanted desert, and I had to go looking for someone to pay the bill. The next night I ordered drinks, was told they would be brought to the table, a good 10 minutes later I had to return to the bar to retrieve them. That is a pet hate of mine in any bar, I was willing to carry them myself to begin with, if I'm told they will bring them up, well, I don't expect to have to come back wondering what's up, did the barman get lost?

Later I ordered a bottle of wine on ice for the room. I was told abruptly that I'd have to take it up myself and pay there and then, I couldn't charge it to the room because it was a Visa debit card, not a credit card. Now, this I REALLY don't get. Is a debit card not actually safer?? A credit card is using money you don't actually have at the time to pay, whereas a Visa debit only lets you use what you actually have in your account! Ridiculous. When the barman gave me the bottle, he forgot to include glasses - when I reminded him, he handed me 2 different sized glasses! like I was being awkward - i just took them, I'm not one for making a scene. I was told the same the second time I had a bottle sent up,that I could not charge to the room. I've done it that way every hotel I've ever stayed in, my Visa debit card was good enough in NYC, but not in ... NAAS!? The guy stood there with a face on while I scrambled around for change to pay - embarrassing.

SO, overall, not exactly the wonderful, chilled, spa break I planned for myself and the missus - I felt a little short changed after it to be honest. Just because I use a deal voucher does not mean I should be treated like a second class guest. I won't be back. They should learn from reviews like this.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
JCaffreyRM, General Manager at Osprey Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear KeithG75,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of your stay at the Osprey. I'm sorry to hear you did not like your duplex room, we would have been happy to move you to a regular room during your stay had you requested it.

In relation to your treatment I'm afraid we do instruct our therapists not to engage in conversation unless the guest prompts it as this can sometimes be annoying for people who just want to relax and enjoy their treatment. Also, having spoken to the therapist who performed your treatment she seemed well informed about a problem you had with your shoulder that was discussed prior to your massage and as she also helped you look for your wife after the treatment she felt that you were happy with the service she provided and was surprised to hear differently.

I was very disappointed to hear about and must apologize for the poor and inattentive service you received at the bar and can assure you that this is something I will follow up on personally to ensure it does not happen again.

We are delighted to accept all methods of payment, including VISA Debit cards, unfortunately such cards do not allow for charges to be held on them prior to payment. Whereas a regular VISA card allows for payment to be held until checkout a VISA Debit card will only allow a payment that is being put through the process at the time of the transaction, hence we are not allowed to place charges onto them for payment at a future time, i.e. checkout. I am sorry if this caused any inconvenience or embarrassment and we will endeavor to find a solution to this with our credit card processing company.

I do hope you will change your mind and return in the future when I can assure you of an upgraded room and much more attentive service across all departments.

Best regards,

John Caffrey
Kildare
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Hadn't been for a while in serous need of a good clean and some paint very tired and worn looking. Food was ok but very overpriced €13.95 for a carvery dinner the place was empty and at that price I'm not surprised used to be a fab place not sure if anyone really cares staff seemed oblivious to people.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear NaasGirl,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our carvery. I'm happy to report that we are currently engaged in a refurbishment program for large parts of the property and have invested quite heavily in the bar recently with new furniture, decorations and painting already completed. I'm sorry it was not to your liking but I do hope you'll try us again soon.

Best regards,

John Caffrey
Naas, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Nice hotel, caters for everything including a nightclub attached! Pool gym bar restaurant all you could need attached an in walking distance from Naas town. However lunch a bit of a let down. Self service carvery is annoying. Apart from that, all good! :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Amy C, Guest Relations Manager at Osprey Hotel, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Dear Brian T,

I wish to thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent visit to the Osprey Hotel. I am glad you availed of all our facilities and had the opportunity to enjoy them and I do hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

We got a great value Spa break in the Osprey. We went on a Sunday night so the place was quiet but by no means empty. Our room was very comfy with loads of space. We spent a lovely afternoon in the Spa and had a nice facial as part of our package. We upgraded our dinner package though for €12 each as the menu included was a bit limited with choice. Dinner was good and Service very friendly. All in all a nice hotel that didn't break the bank.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Lynn U,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review here on Tripadvisor and for your kind words, it really is appreciated. I am delighted you enjoyed your visit to the Spa and I hope to welcome you back to the Osprey in the near future.

Kind Regards

Kildare, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Everything about this hotel is top class--from staff to rooms to food to loos-- lovely friendly homely atmosphere. An enjoyable experience from the time I entered the hotel to leaving..
A must on the list to return again.

Room Tip: All rooms are different so just go and experience them..