“A truly magical experience” 5 of 5 stars

You added Killashee House Hotel to your Saves list
Killashee House Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kilcullen Road, Naas, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Naas
“A truly magical experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel on 20th December for the Christmas Party. As soon as I arrived at the gates my spirits lifted. It was dark and all the trees were filled with fairy lights. The decor of the hotel is vey atmospheric, the corridors went on forever and the paintings on the wall were whimsical and amusing. My room was very grand and took my breath away. The staff were charming. A lovely breakfast with gluten free toast was cooked for me the next morning. Only issue was the band was a bit loud and not romantic enough. Same went for the dj music. Felt that for such a fabulous hotel the Christmas party could have been better.

• Stayed December 2012
ManagerKillashee, General Manager at Killashee House Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear JLindaR,

I appreciate your taking the time to share your experience as a guest at a Christmas Party in Killashee House Hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the overall ambiance, accommodation and dining. Thank you for alerting us to your dissatisfaction with the band and DJ, it is a shame that we were not alerted on the night that they were a bit loud and we would have been delighted to reduce the sound and similarly could of chosen some more romantic songs.

Thank you again JLindaR for your review and I hope we will see you again for another luxury break in 2013.

Dee Nix

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed there on 30th and 31st December 2012, this being the third year in a row we have stayed for New year and for good reason, this hotel is exceptional value staffed by extremely helpful,friendly and professional staff. We stayed in the Belling Wing we had 3 rooms and had a beautiful rooms with everything you would expect and more, they were extremely comfortable,no complaints.We booked a 2 night stay with 2 dinners bed and breakfast, one meal was in Jacks which is informal and it has a wide and varied menu , there were 4 of us each having different items from the menu and none of us were left disappointed the food and service was excellent.The New Years Eve meal we had in Turners, which is more formal and the 6 course meal with a complimentary glass of bubbly and a harpist playing in the background was superb and unbelievable value, highly recommended. The log fire with the big comfortable seating around is an ideal place to sit and people watch with a coffee or hot whiskey and my 82 year old mother was quite content to sit there and do exactly that. All the seating around the hotel is extremely comfortable and there are lots of quiet little corners where you can sit and read the paper, a book or simply have a quiet moment to yourself. However if you wish there was music in Jacks on both nights we were there and you can dance the night away. Breakfast is a cold buffet and unlike in other hotels where the microwave is king and your hot breakfast order is served almost immediately this hotel cooks all it's breakfasts to order so be prepared to wait a little while. I would suggest that you do not leave it till the last minute to go for breakfast ,it finishes at 11am as it tends to get quite busy with people usually from the weddings coming down at about ten to the hour, however even if you do arrive at that time you will find the staff smiling and only too willing to serve, I saw what they had to do on New Years Day and they coped brilliantly with way too many people turning up late , it was that busy the doors that normally shut at 11 sharp were still open at 11.15, I must highly commend the staff and whoever trains them, as they were pushed above and beyond what should have been expected of them and as I said earlier coped brilliantly. There were 2 weddings on each day we stayed and because of the size of the hotel the ordinary guests like myself were not inconvenienced in any way,I also noted on the day we were checking out 3 couples being shown around for future weddings and I can understand why couples would want to have their wedding there the hotel is class.I will finish by saying my mother asked as we were checking out if we would bring her back next New Years Eve and we promised her we would ,in fact we have already booked.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Welltravelled433,

Firstly thank you for your regular custom over the past couple of years and secondly for taking the time to write such a detailed and positive review. I am delighted that all the members of your family enjoyed the dining both in Jacks Bar and Bistro and Turners Fine Dining Restaurant.

We look forward to hopefully having the pleasure of welcoming you back again for New Years Eve 2013.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We got married here and stayed for several nights both for the tasting weekend and the weekend of the wedding. The rooms are all different, big, with gorgeous decor. The social areas in the hotel are well designed, big comfortable seating and lots of space. The staff are fantastic, friendly and really helpful. I'd highly recommend it for a short stay and wedding.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear NiamhMcc,

Thank you for choosing Killashee House Hotel for the most momentous occasion of your wedding. I am so pleased that every facet of your special day provided the luxury, memories and fun that are so important on a wedding day.

We look forward to celebrating your first anniversary with you this year.

Athlone, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding on New Year's Eve 2012. On arrival, we were allocated room 145 in the Belling Wing. Having eventually navigated the maze of hallways and lifts we located our room at the end of a very cold corridor - this should have been a major warning sign as other parts of the hotel were warm and the radiators in this area were all cold. The bedroom was cold on entering but we didn't explore to much as we were keen to get back to the wedding party. On returning to the room later that evening, it was like a fridge and there was no heating on. A small dimplex plug in heater was left in the corner of the room so this seemed to be the only source of heat for the room. The hotel must have been aware that there was no other heating available in the room. Having paid for a deluxe double room - this was not good enough. My husband made 3 calls to reception about the lack of heating in the room and in the corridor area. He was repeatedly told it would be resolved in 10 minutes. Clearly, they hoped that we would just go to bed. After 30 minutes, we packed up our stuff and left the room and headed to reception. As we stepped out of the lift, there was a staff member coming to meet us. We were subsequently allocated room 327 which did in fact have heating that was on and working.

On checking out the next day, I made reception aware of the issues with the room on the previous evening. They indicated that it must have been an isolated issue as they had no other complaints. However, we spoke to a number of other guests in our group who also had very cold rooms so it doesn't appear to be an isolated incident.

They did reduce the cost of our room, however this did not make up for the disappointment and bad experience. We were really looking forward to our night at Killashee but unfortunately it did not live up to our expectations. the reception staff also indicated that a Manager would contact me regarding the issues that we experienced but nobody contacted us since our stay.

The Breakfast Room was chaotic on New Year's Day - the staff did not seem to be able to cope with the number of guests and the service was very slow. We waited that long for our cooked breakfast that we thought the order had been lost.

I don't think this hotel is worth the money and I would not recommend to friends or family.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Yvonne C,

Thank you for providing a review on tripadvisor.com. I would like to sincerely apologise for the service gaps you experienced.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you wish to discuss this further or need assistance with any future bookings.

newry
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Just returned from a 2 night stay and have no complaints!

The reception staff were very friendly and helpful as were all throughout.

As it was a birthday break, I really appreciated the little touches such as the complimentary upgrade to a suite and the assortment of macaroons delivered to the room. The turn down service was also a lovely touch.

Food in Jack's was lovely and presented beautifully. Breakfast in Turner's was ample and tasty.

Spa was a lovely way was to spend a Sunday afternoon.

The gardens and history of this hotel make it a wonderful place to stay; will definitely recommend and be returning.

Room Tip: Suites are the best!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear laura_francis,

Thank you for choosing Killashee House Hotel for the celebration of your birthday. It is such a wonderful motivator for the team and I to read a review such as yours, and I thank you for providing such a positive start to 2013 for us.

The team and I look forward to welcome you back again soon for your next special occasion.

Louth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I recently stayed 2 nights at Killashee house for a family wedding and I have nothing but good remarks to say about the venue.

Whilst the reception and floor staff always seem very busy, there willingness to help at any time was a credit to the hotel.

Check in was quick and double deluxe rooms were very spacious with free Wi-fi available.

We had a meal in the Bar the night before the wedding and it was very nice and contrary to other reviews even though the bar was extremely bust we were not waiting too long for our food. The food was of good quality and my wife and my two boys (6 & 4) were happy.

The leisure centre is indeed a very short walk across the car park but the staff were very friendly and my boys and I had good fun in the swimming pool. I did find the water and the general area including changing rooms a wee bit cold but perhaps thankful of this after a hot shower.

The wedding venue itself was excellent and I must stress again the excellent staff that really could not do enough for us and all the kids present.

The location of the hotel is about a 5 min drive from centre of Naas and is easy to find.

All in all a classy hotel with excellent staff.

Room Tip: For a family of 4 with small children a Double Deluxe room was perfect.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear LouthKopite,

I appreciate your sharing your family’s stay in December 2012. I am delighted that both the adults and children in your family enjoyed their stay.

Thank you again for your kind review LothKopite. I sincerely hope that you and family will visit Killashee House Hotel again in 2013 for a mini-break.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here as a family with our young son for New Years. We should have known when we checked in what to expect of our stay. The ladies on reception are very pleasant and helpful but they constantly seemed to be rushed off their feet. The hotel was fully booked on the evening we checked in so we were advised that if we wanted to eat in the bar that we should make a reservation. When we did venture into the bar we stood patiently to be served by one of the four staff behind the bar. Though they seemed busy they prioritised orders coming from the waiting staff and after a time if being ignored we eventually had to ask if someone could take our order. I took our son to the leisure centre but didn't realise that while we were following signs for the leisure centre inside the hotel we would eventually end up in the car park and would have to walk across this to get to our destination. The staff in the leisure centre (which is very well equipped) were very friendly and polite and are a credit to the centre.
Breakfast on our first morning was nice and relaxing with a very good selection of dishes to choose from. Our second morning however was a total disaster. We showed up for breakfast at 10:45 and were third in line. The dining room was full (there had been 2 weddings held the day before). To say that the staff were running around like headless chickens is an understatement. The hostess was walking around to see what spaces she had available and a huge queue formed behind us stretching out to the lobby. Wait staff were taken from the floor and asked to carry chairs up from one of the dining rooms downstairs. People behind us in the queue were seated before us even though we were a party of 3. We were finally seated after almost 15 minutes. I would have thought that they would be prepared for such occurances, especially since the dining room was empty at 9am when my sister had her breakfast? Our order for breakfast was promptly taken and we sat and waited, and waited, and waited until after 25 minutes of watching people who came in after us get their breakfasts I eventually enquired as to where our food was. I was told that a large number of dockets had gone into the kitchen at the same time and that it would be out shortly. We finally got our meal which in itself was a bit of a let down. While all the plates were extremely hot, my 4 year olds plate was also too hot to touch and he burned his fingers (who would serve a child a plate that hot?). My poached egg was raw on the inside, the white of the egg was still clear near the yolk and I couldn't eat it. All in all this hotel seems to have over stretched itself. The staff are unable to cater for the guests when the hotel is at or almost at capacity. Some of the staff seemed snooty and we felt uncomfortable a few times as if they felt we shouldn't have been there. I have been to lesser starred hotels and had more enjoyable times. I certainly wouldn't be recommending this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear curlywoorley,

Thank you for sharing your balanced review on tripadvisor.com. I am sorry that every aspect of your experience in Killashee House Hotel did not match the nice and relaxing breakfast on your first morning. It is a shame that I or another member of the management team did not have the opportunity to speak to you during your stay.

Please do not hesitate to call or mail me curlywoorley for any future stay for you or a family member and I can assure you I will oversee their entire stay, from booking to departure.

Dee Nix

Been to Killashee House Hotel? Share your experiences!