“A real farm house” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Farmhouse   |   | Kilvicadownig, Ventry, Ireland   |
New Orleans
“A real farm house”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I was sooo happy to have stayed at the Garvey;s house. Everything was great from communication for booking all the way to our warm welcome. Joan was so warm and pleasant. We were so lucky to have arrived before all the other guests that we were the only guest on our first night. I had a chance to view the other rooms in the house and I must say I love the view from ours. Just outside our window we can see the Garvey's cattle. In the morning we were woken up by the moos of the cows. We were on the 2nd floor with 2 double beds and a large ensuite bath. The breakfast room was well furnished and had a view of the meadow. The breakfast was tasty and plenty. Irish breakfast, smoked salmon, and smoked mackarel were our choices during our stay and itwas delicious! The location to some may be too out of the way, but to me it was just perfect. If you have a car, the drive to Dingle center town maybe a good 20 min. But during our stay we focused on the country side and only drove to town once forO'flaherty pub. There is a celtic museum across the street from the farm. Their neighbor has a donkey that walks up to anyone that pays a visit. There is beach access just a few minutes away with viewings of more cows along the way. Stay here. You wont be dissapointed.

• Stayed July 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Hobart
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Comfortable, welcoming and the perfect spot to see more of the Dingle peninsula. Joan helped me to find places to eat and to listen to music. The room was clean and cozy, the shower was hot and the breakfast set me up for the day! Whether you want to explore the town of Dingle or go further out towards the Blaskets and around to Ballyferriter and the Gallarus Oratory, this is the place!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Owners are very friendly and helpful. They have been in the city for years and with full knowledge too answer your travel questions. We arrived quite late and they were still waiting for us with warm welcome. Tom explained the full process of milking, showed us the new-born cow. Playing with their energetic dog is quite tired:)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

When we arrived at the farmhouse we had been hiking for a while in the rain and it was really cold and we were starving. The owner invited us in and was very warm and kind. She offered to make us tea and coffee and brought us cake. She gave us advice on where to eat and visit and even offered to have her son drive us to the nearby pub since he was going to pass it by on his way to another town. She also offered to drop off our backpacks to our next B&B and drop us off about a mile away to give us a head start on our hike since she said it was prettier about a mile out for just a small fee, it was definitely cheaper than taking a cab. The breakfast was great and she has a nice selection to choose from on the menu. We would definitely stay there the next time we're in the area!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Oceanside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Arrived on the Dingle Penninsula and knew we were right in booking 2 nights... could have spent more! Joan, our hostess, helped us with our plans for dinner and drive/walk the following day. We were treated to a terrific Irish Breakfast and given suggestions for dinner. Loved our time on the peninsula!

Room Tip: Upstairs room facing the water was lovely!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Merriam, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We truly enjoyed our visit to the Garvey Farmhouse. During our week long visit to Ireland, Joan and Tom were our favorite hostess and host. Joan was so welcoming, served an awesome breakfast, and provided us with great info for dinner and entertainment in Dingle. She shared info with us about the dairy business. Since returning home to the States, have enjoyed checking out products which may have come from that area of Ireland. We were able to meet Tom in the morning and spent some time with him and watch him milking cows. It was a true farmhouse experience. It provided us with a great impression of an Irish farm. Would love to return again some day.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

This was one of the best places I stayed in Ireland. I am here traveling for 3 months and have been to plenty of b&b's, but this one is one of my favorites. Tom and Joan are just the nicest people you've ever met. As soon as I met Joan I just wanted to hug her, she's so sweet and so easy to talk to and you feel like you could visit with her for hours and hear some great stories. Tom is equally welcoming and he showed me a bit about the farm and I got to watch the milking being done and everything. The rooms are warm and inviting, clean, and there are many different options for breakfast (which I loved because when you're traveling in Ireland for awhile you tend to get sick of the regular "full Irish breakfast" and variety is a welcome change). I stayed three nights right in Dingle and then three nights out at Garvey's because I knew I wouldn't be able to walk home from the pubs, as it is a bit far out. Their house is literally on the Slea Head Drive and there are some amazing walks right around them. The scenery is just stunning in this part of Ireland and it was very difficult to leave! I am so glad I found this place and I know I'll stay here again when I return to Ireland someday. Thank you Tom and Joan for everything!!!

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Garvey's Farmhouse? Share your experiences!