“Excellent customer service” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Spiddal
More attraction details
Owner description: Standún is a unique family run store, situated in a traditional Connemara setting in the west of Ireland. The store is in it's 3rd Generation and has been in operation for over 60 years. There is a huge variety of Aran Sweaters, Irish products, Menswear, Ladies fashion, children's clothing, Irish and Internation gifts and homeware and a cafe with home baking.
Kildare, Ireland
“Excellent customer service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Whilst on a short break in Furbo my husband liked a Magee Overcoat which was on sale in Standun but, unfortunately, it was too small and his size was not available in store. However, Deirdre, a member of the Sales Staff at Standun took our details and sourced an overcoat in my husband's size. We had returned home to Co Kildare a week later when Deirdre telephonned on a Wednesday to say she had the overcoat and following payment the overcoat was delivered the next Morning by DPD. This type of service can only be admired and Deirdre went to great lenghts to help us. We always shop in Standun anyway when in Connemara. So well done to Deirdre and the other staff members of Standun - service with a smile and efficiency.

Visited January 2013
cliona s, Owner at Standun Spiddal Connemara, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear Siobhan

Thank you for your kind comments. We look forward to seeing you at Standun again and if there is anything we can help you with in the mean-time, do not hesitate to e-mail us.

Thanks!

London, United Kingdom
“Great store - well worth visiting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I have had the pleasure of visitng this store twice in the past 6 months and of also using their mail order facilities. I managed to source exquisitley designed, and excellent value-for-money knittted products , as well as some fabulous (local) social history books. Shipped to Canada on two separate occasions they lifted the spirits of a very ill, dear brother. In doing so, they raised mine.

In my opinion this store is well worth visiting. You will find a warm welcome from the management and staff, and a nice blend of traditional and modern merchandise. It is also great to see a local store surviving and developing - long may it continue!

Chris K (ex Moycullen)

Visited September 2012
Thank you for your continued support Chris. We look forward to seeing you back again soon!

Galway
9 attraction reviews
“Nice blend of modern and traditional merchandise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Visited on a busy Sunday afternoon. Was impressed with the good variety of knitwear to suit all ages. Thought it would be better if they stocked a bigger variety of winter coats and raincoats- given the inclement weather conditions which we experience on the west coast. Of course if you have time on your hands the sea view from the cafe at the rear of this store is heavenly on a clear day. Staff were pleasant and attentive but I felt that maybe they were under pressure to sell as is the case with most retail outlets these days!

Tullamore, Ireland
3 attraction reviews
“First Visit to Standún Spiddal Co. Galway.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

A few days ago I had the pleasure of visiting Galway. My friend, Anne, advised that a trip to Standún's store in Spiddal was a must, so we went. I was stunned by the variety of Irish goods on sale there. As I browsed in the store, tempting myself with the many choices of clothing, my friend suggested to the store manager that they ought to display my new book 'Jamie and The Blue Stone' which is suitable for all age groups. They accepted this without hesitating and are now actively promoting it in their store. I would advise all visitors to shop in Standúns not because my book is there but because it is a super store and they give preference to Irish goods. I was able to get pants and blouses there that were not available in the city and I was thrilled with the many displays. We stayed over two hours in the shop and it was time well spent.

Visited August 2012
Dublin, Ireland
3 attraction reviews
“DISAPPOINTED”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I saw a recent TV programme featuring an extensive revamp of Standun's so we made a trip out to Spiddal expecting great things. Have to say I was underwhelmed. Their stock is varied, including all the old reliable "knitteds", and some beautiful dresses, but the gift items, while lovely, can be found anywhere. I was expecting more Irish merchandise, and ended up buying a little sculpture imported from France. It's gorgeous, but I'd like to have seen a greater range of local goods.

I might have stayed longer and found more but it was lunchtime (just after 1pm) , I was hungry and their newly-vamped coffee shop is a disaster. There was a plate with four slices of cake on the counter, an empty basket that might have contained scones earlier, some little packets (biscuits?) and NOTHING else. Now, I know it's a clothes/gift items shop, but why actually have a coffee shop at all if you have NO food in it? How hard can it be to offer scones or maybe a bowl of soup at lunchtime? Short-sighted and a wasted opportunity, I think, particularly after the excellent free publicity of the recent TV programme. We were intending to have lunch there and would have stayed longer, and probably spent much more. Instead, we and our money went elsewhere.

Visited July 2012
dobby123, Owner at Standun Spiddal Connemara, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear Customer

I am very sorry you were disappointed with your visit to our store.

We make every effort to stock affordable Irish products and every year we give 2 new Irish suppliers an opportunity to have their goods showcased in our store. We are proud to stock well-known Irish giftware such as Newgrange Glass, Waterford Crystal, Newbridge Silverware, Green Angel and Genesis to name but a few as well as Eirewood, Rynhart, etc. In our clothing departments we stock a huge range of Aran Knitwear along with Magee, Jimmy Hourihan, Kellerman and fashion brands such as Fran & Jane and Laundry Room.

However as we are a shopping hub in Connemara we like to provide our customers with a wide variety of stock at varying price ranges, therefore we do also source products from France, Germany, Italy and Spain.

We have a small cafe with fresh homebaked scones and cakes in our shop, however unfortunately we do not have the space or a licence to provide lunches. We normally recommend the Builin Blasta nearby for lunch as that is their area of expertise.

On the Bank Holiday Monday that you visited our store, we had an unbelievably busy day on the Sunday before, and on the Monday morning before you arrived we had 5 Italian coaches and we completely ran out of our homebaking. Unfortunately we get no advanced warning of coaches arriving, therefore it is very difficult to gauge as we want to provide fresh homebaked goods. However, business was back to normal on Tuesday morning with a fresh delivery of our locally baked goodies.

We hope you will visit us again soon, and please make yourself known to me and I will make sure to look after you!