“A Classic” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 11 Roundstone B&B and Inns
Chicago/Colorado
“A Classic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

I stayed in Eldons for two nights while on a self-guided cycling trip through Connemara. I arrived from Leenane, exhausted after a 100km day that included Tully's Hill and the famous Sky Road. Carol, who manages Eldons, was great, got me checked in and settled quickly, and then directed me to their in-house bar where her son Phillip got me set up with some Jameson's and lemon to mix in with my cold medicine. I spent two very rainy and cold days in Eldon's, nursing a cold and resting up for my onward journey. Carol and Phillip took very good care of me, and I had two excellent dinners in the bar--even though the restaurant was not yet up and running for the season. It's a classic old hotel, (reportedly haunted by Mrs Eldon) with very comfortable rooms and nice communal areas. Free WiFi worked well, though they tell me my room was the only upstairs area where the signal is strong enough. A great place, in a beautiful coastal town, run by a very nice family!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

We recently spent two nights in Eldons as part of a biking group tour(Cycling Safaris). Carol and her son were great hosts and made us feel so welcome.
We all enjoyed a fun evening singing in the bar with some local musicians and the staff were all up dancing.
Breakfast was hearty with great selections which prepared us well for our day of biking. The dinner was a gourmet delight and thoroughly enjoyed by all.
I hope we will have another opportunity to visit Roundstone in the future.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Wicklow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

My husband and I had a really lovely stay in Eldons. Very personable and helpful staff and just an all round feeling of relaxation - stunning views over the harbour and mountains. The meal in the restaurant was delicious and because its right in the village you have everything on your doorstep - a perfect base to discover Connemara. Overall I have to say I would recommend it to anyone and will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

We have recently spent 1 night in Eldons Hotel, after having stayed there a few times previously before it was recently taken over. I have to say i was very dissappointed on this occasion. Firstly the receptionist was unpleasant and i felt like i had interrupted her from something important. Secondly we had been placed in a room where right next to the pub and with a young child we could not get a wink of sleep all night. Thirdly, we were charged €100 for 1 night stay B&B which for Galway City standards during these times is a complete rip off!! We have stayed here before for far less and with much better service, and have always been placed in a quiet room considering we have a young child. Breakfast was also a very greasy affair which was not pleasant at all. Sorry to say but what we had always thought was a lovely hotel has gone downhill badly and we wont stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

Arrived in Roundstone on a damp and dull Friday evening in June but the hotel - food and accommodation more than made up for the weather. We had a beautiful room (with 4 poster bed) across the road from the main hotel which had views out over Roundstone Bay. We had booked a table for dinner and were told our table was waiting for us and to take our time in coming over by the bright and chirpy manger. Dinner was absolutely divine and very reasonable with the value dining menu. Staff very friendly and great atmosphere in the hotel...We'll be back!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Wicklow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

I arrived on Friday afternoon in the most glorious sunshine and Roundstone and indeed all of Connemara was looking at its most beautiful, Checking in I was met by Carol, owner , and was given a warm and friendly welcome. My room was at the back of the hotel, bright and sunny, very clean and comfortable, very nice bathroom, tea making facilities included.
The hotel is in the centre of the village, which makes it an excellent location, room to sit outside and watch the world go by..
there are several restaurants and bars and all of them that I went to were great.
I had dinner on two nights in the hotel and both I enjoyed very much, lots of lovely fresh fish, and vegetables, and the staff were all friendly helpful and willing to change items on the menu. e.g. making a main course into a starter size portion,
Breakfast was cooked to order, always such a treat, Lots to choose from and very generous portions, piping hot, and refills of tea or coffee were no problem.
The hotel is ideally located for walking and touring Connemara,
It was a most enjoyable stay, and the staff were a major part of making it so.
I would definitely return to this beautiful spot and to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

My wife and I wondered on to the restaurant in this hotel one night in June just walking around the main street in roundstone.

What luck! The food was amazing, crab claws and kind scallops to die for. Our waitress also happened to be the owner of the hotel. She was extremely gracious and a wonderful hostess.

We're sorry for the tardy review, but I guess better late than never.

If you are looking for good food and good people, this is your place. Next time we're in Ireland, we'll be back. Thanks again!!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Eldons Hotel? Share your experiences!