“Friendly guy” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 4 Attractions in Roundstone
Type: Factory Tours, Specialty Shops, Shopping
More attraction details
Owner description: Roundstone Music & Craft - within the walls of an old Franciscan Monastery in the fishing village of Roundstone. Here you can see Ireland's oldest craft Bodhran making. The Bodhran or Irish Drum is Ireland's oldest musical instrument and this ancient craft is carried on at Roundstone Music. Regular talks and demonstrations are given about this famous instrument.
Lisse, The Netherlands
31 attraction reviews
“Friendly guy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

This bodhran craftshop in Roundstone is located in a remote corner of Ireland, quite a long drive to get there. We met Malachy Kearns who is a very friendly guy. He explained how he makes those instruments, very intresting, he is a good storyteller. We bought a bodhran, and had some very tasty cake. The only thing I did not like about this place, were the many signs in the shop telling me what not to do: Do not touch - Do not play the whistles - do not take pictures....
Well I already had taken one picture before I had seen the sign (sorry mr. Kearns). On this picture my son is holding the bodhran that we bought lateron.

chatham,nj
“Home of the Heartbeat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

When planning our trip to Ireland this Spring, one of my main goals was to get back to Malachy Kearns in Roundstone to get a new bodhran which was a birthday gift. I had purchased a smaller one in 2009 but wanted an 18" tuneable. We were pleasantly surprised to find that they were open on the Sunday of the Bank Holiday. I was first helped by a very friendly and knowledgeable Mr. Alam.
Then, who should pop us but "Himself"!
We had such a fun time with him as he showed us around the workshop and explained the process to us with many a funny story. As to the quality of the skins, he said "Old Goats are Best". ( I'm almost 100% sure he wasn't looking at me when he said that.) Not only was the experience wonderful for me, but also great for my friends who were giving me the drum. Malachy taped a stamp commemorating the 75th anniversary of Ireland's Independence, and on which he is pictured playing the bodhran, inside my drum and signed it as well.
It was such a fun and personal experience, and totally unexpected. It was the highlight of the trip and we are still talking about it. Now I'm off to the Irish Arts Center in NYC for lessons so that I can give the bodhran it's due. So thanks Malachy for another great experience in Ireland!

Visited June 2013
Asheville, North Carolina
12 attraction reviews
“History and personality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were lucky enough to make the acquaintance of both Melachy and his wife Gifty. Melachy is an original, someone you will long remember meeting. His shop has a variety of gift items and of course more bodhrans than you can shake a beater at. Gifty is also charming, as long as you stay on her good side while you are there. Wandering around the shop was a pleasure, and getting to meet Melachy and Gifty one of the highlights of our entire trip to Ireland. Now if Melachy would just send Gifty my way to give me a few more lessons on how to play this thing...

Dunboyne, Ireland
31 attraction reviews
“Visit the place is a MUST!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

No matter for what reasons you visit Roundstone Music & Crafts , just to spend a few minutes chat with Malachy is worth the trip. Malachy is like an open book of culture and full of adventures he can tell you..The site it self is a combination of a shop,outlet,coffee shop and of course the the artisan craftsmanship gallery of the Master Bodhran Maker Malachy him self.
There is also a 10 minutes Video in the store telling the story of Malachy and the making of the Bodhran.
There is plenty of original Irish items on sale and the prices are reasonable as well. I respected Malachy's request and did not take pictures, so none added here.

Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec
“Musical treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This is a bohdran workshop, where you can choose a beginner's drum or have one made to measure. I bought a beginner's and have enjoyed my first lessons via YouTube. They also sell other musical instruments and items made in Ireland, crafts, clothes, etc. The bohdran maker's wife was charming and helpful and gave us a little lesson on the bohdran. We All had a great giggle as my daughter and I moved too much while playing, and couldn't quite get the hang of the wrist movement.

Visited June 2013