“Small wedding at the castle” 5 of 5 stars

Ballynahinch Castle Hotel
4.0 of 5 Castle   |   Ballinafad | Connemara, Recess, Ireland   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Small wedding at the castle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

My wife and I decided on Ballynahinch Castle for our wedding based on all the reviews we read on Tripadvisor. We couldn't be happier with our choice. We had some challenges because we tried to plan the wedding from the US. The staff went over and above to suggest photographers, celebrants, flowers and such. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty. The service at the castle is top-notch, and the employees are genuinely interested in helping you make the most of your stay.

I was sitting in the pub having a pint of Guinness to calm my nerves while my bride-to-be was upstairs getting ready, when the General Manager came up and sat next to me for a chat. He actually took the time to find out who I was and seek me out in order to give us well wishes and to make sure everything was going well with our wedding plans. I was very touched by the gesture. We even talked about Notre Dame football. He told me that he ordered warm, sunny weather for our wedding, but I think he may have been pulling my leg. However, we had a beautiful, sunny day in Connemara in September...so perhaps there's more to it than I know. Thankfully, we were able to have the ceremony outside by the river.

The Wifi is sporatic, but once you find out where the hubs are you can find a strong signal, so it's not a problem. There is always a warm fire nearby to sit down to read a good book or the newspaper. The food in the restaurant rivals any fine dining establishment in the States, and the food in the pub is better than I expected.

They run a quality operation at Ballynahinch Castle. I don't know if it's just the Irish charm or we got lucky, but the staff here were some of the sweetest people we've met. We are already planning our return trip to the castle for our 1 year anniversary in Sept 2014.

Room Tip: The riverside suites give breathtaking views of the grounds.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Korean first
Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Our first night in Ireland and we had the joy of staying at this enchanting country castle. The location is magical and we were sad to have only one night in our schedule to stay there. The staff were superb, especially the woman greeting us at the desk. On our arrival we were tired, she wanted to upgrade our room and was unable and then we were pleasantly surprised to receive wine in our room. The view from the dining room was glorious and just what I imagined Ireland to be like. The room we had was extremely comfortable and beautiful. I hope we have the chance to come back, stay longer and hike some of the many trails offered.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Be aware that "Castle" hotels in Ireland are usually not castles... they are more like Manor Houses, to my way of thinking. That said, you will feel like you are the Lord of the Manor at Ballynahinch. The view from a window table in the dining room is reason enough to come here.

Room Tip: We had a room that didn't face the river, but still had a good view. Still, I'd ask for a r...
Dubliner
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and I was sad to leave. It is a lovely location, the food was amazing in both the pub and restaurant. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Our room overlooked the river and was spacious with a four poster bed and incredible views. There are lovely walks on the estate. There were fish jumping out of the river regularly. I was tempted to try the fly fishing but it is quite expensive at 280 euro for two for the day (including licenses, excluding gratuity), so not really an impulse activity. It was all very relaxing and enjoyable, we will definitely be back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed recently with my family at the hotel. It was a brilliant stay. The hotel is lovely set in beautiful grounds with lots of oportunity for fishing. We ate in both the restaurant and the pub both of which were delicious and the service was attentive. Most notably the lady restaurant manager and the young french chap...you should wear name badges!! Breakfast was delicious and I particularly enjoyed the delicious home made soda bread! Delicious...I could eat some now! The rooms were nicely furnished and well cleaned. My family really enjoyed the introduction to fly fishing inspite of the rain...it is Ireland after all! I think the comment below would not be reflective of many stays and they obviously haven't been to ireland before as the water is clean it just has peat in it which makes it yellow! It's actually good for your skin. Thank you to all the staff for a wonderful stay...we will be back!

• Stayed August 2013
Gosford, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I toured Ireland for 10 days and were really looking forward to spending 2 nights at this accommodation. It was to be our most expensive on our trip and we expected the accommodation to be outstanding. However this was not the case.

The drive up was breathtaking. The grounds are superb. However, it was clearly not a castle!

We parked at the front and struggled with our bags to reception, which was just inside the door.
On first impression, the entry appeared dirty and it looked as though hadn't been cleaned for ages.
We were checked in quickly and a helpful chap assisted with our larger bags to our room-which overlooked the river.
The room had a beautiful outlook-stunning. We were looking forward to a cup of tea, but we didn't have any tea or coffee essentials and no jug! Most unusual. When we rang reception they said that we need to call and request a tray with tea.

We decided to eat in the pub, and reserved a table. The pub was tiny and we were seated near the men's toilet. Food was average. My fish dish was tasty, but my husbands' steak tough.

Back to the room. My husbands shower was cold and the paint in the bathroom flaking.
At this point we thought that we would leave in the morning and asked if we could cut our booking from 2 nights to one?? The receptionist said that if we left early we would still have to pay for 2 nights, unless someone rang up to request the room.
We checked the next morning and unfortunately there were no new bookings, so we stayed.

Things did improve. My husband had one more cold shower in the free standing shower and then opted to have his shower over the bath where he managed to consistently get hot water. The water was discoloured and didn't look too inviting to bathe in or drink! The bath had a shower curtain to contain splashes. Not the best.

We had a good sleep and the bed was very comfortable.
Wi Fi was a bit hit or miss depending on where you were in the room.
Breakfast was good and efficient on both mornings.
Dinner at the restaurant was outstanding and we totally enjoyed our meal.

Staff appeared busy and not very friendly. Looking for tips for any service.

Our room was clean, but needed some maintenance. The wallpaper and paint were lifting. The lounge was very uncomfortable and no air conditioning. All these things we would readily accept but not at rate of 310 Euros per night. Very overpriced.

My rating relates to this property misrepresenting itself as a castle. It is an old country estate, a fishing/ hunting lodge. The tariff charged does not reflect the quality of this accommodation or the services provided by staff.

Room Tip: Great view from Superior rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I decided for my tour of Ireland, that I would stay in one of the many castles on offer and this one appeared on a lot of castle accommodation sites. It was also in an area of Ireland (Connemara) that I most wanted to visit. The drive was interesting down little roads marked 100km/hr but were almost impossible to do over 60 due to many interesting sites on the way, the oncoming traffic on tight roads and the occasional walker, cyclist, sheep or goat!

Upon arrival it was quite wet and misty which was beautiful to look at but not so good for partaking in the many walks they had on offer. I was led to my room and although I had requested a room with a river view, I was told there weren't any available but would be on a list if any came up. It was an extraordinary surprise to be shown the room and saw the door out to a spectacular view of the river. It felt like my own little piece of paradise for the night. The room was very vintage with separate powder room and bathroom. I was told there were only 3 rooms with doors to the river which made it feel even more special.

I also ate dinner and breakfast at the hotel which were both extraordinary. I made myself eat the dessert as it was so nice even though I was over full. It seemed like a romantic place for couples but the evening I went there were only a few couples, with families and a large group staying and dining. I imagine it would also be gorgeous over winter with all of the common sitting areas with fireplaces throughout the castle.

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone who wanted a wonderfully unique and beautiful experience.

Room Tip: Request a river view ground floor room if they have them available. If you get one, you may also lik...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Ballynahinch Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!