“Disappointing. Not a castle! Very overpriced!” 1 of 5 stars

You added Ballynahinch Castle Hotel to your Saves list
Ballynahinch Castle Hotel
4.0 of 5 Castle   |   Ballynahinch River Front, Recess, Ireland   |
Gosford, Australia
“Disappointing. Not a castle! Very overpriced!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I toured Ireland for 10 days and were really looking forward to spending 2 nights at this accommodation. It was to be our most expensive on our trip and we expected the accommodation to be outstanding. However this was not the case.

The drive up was breathtaking. The grounds are superb. However, it was clearly not a castle!

We parked at the front and struggled with our bags to reception, which was just inside the door.
On first impression, the entry appeared dirty and it looked as though hadn't been cleaned for ages.
We were checked in quickly and a helpful chap assisted with our larger bags to our room-which overlooked the river.
The room had a beautiful outlook-stunning. We were looking forward to a cup of tea, but we didn't have any tea or coffee essentials and no jug! Most unusual. When we rang reception they said that we need to call and request a tray with tea.

We decided to eat in the pub, and reserved a table. The pub was tiny and we were seated near the men's toilet. Food was average. My fish dish was tasty, but my husbands' steak tough.

Back to the room. My husbands shower was cold and the paint in the bathroom flaking.
At this point we thought that we would leave in the morning and asked if we could cut our booking from 2 nights to one?? The receptionist said that if we left early we would still have to pay for 2 nights, unless someone rang up to request the room.
We checked the next morning and unfortunately there were no new bookings, so we stayed.

Things did improve. My husband had one more cold shower in the free standing shower and then opted to have his shower over the bath where he managed to consistently get hot water. The water was discoloured and didn't look too inviting to bathe in or drink! The bath had a shower curtain to contain splashes. Not the best.

We had a good sleep and the bed was very comfortable.
Wi Fi was a bit hit or miss depending on where you were in the room.
Breakfast was good and efficient on both mornings.
Dinner at the restaurant was outstanding and we totally enjoyed our meal.

Staff appeared busy and not very friendly. Looking for tips for any service.

Our room was clean, but needed some maintenance. The wallpaper and paint were lifting. The lounge was very uncomfortable and no air conditioning. All these things we would readily accept but not at rate of 310 Euros per night. Very overpriced.

My rating relates to this property misrepresenting itself as a castle. It is an old country estate, a fishing/ hunting lodge. The tariff charged does not reflect the quality of this accommodation or the services provided by staff.

Room Tip: Great view from Superior rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I decided for my tour of Ireland, that I would stay in one of the many castles on offer and this one appeared on a lot of castle accommodation sites. It was also in an area of Ireland (Connemara) that I most wanted to visit. The drive was interesting down little roads marked 100km/hr but were almost impossible to do over 60 due to many interesting sites on the way, the oncoming traffic on tight roads and the occasional walker, cyclist, sheep or goat!

Upon arrival it was quite wet and misty which was beautiful to look at but not so good for partaking in the many walks they had on offer. I was led to my room and although I had requested a room with a river view, I was told there weren't any available but would be on a list if any came up. It was an extraordinary surprise to be shown the room and saw the door out to a spectacular view of the river. It felt like my own little piece of paradise for the night. The room was very vintage with separate powder room and bathroom. I was told there were only 3 rooms with doors to the river which made it feel even more special.

I also ate dinner and breakfast at the hotel which were both extraordinary. I made myself eat the dessert as it was so nice even though I was over full. It seemed like a romantic place for couples but the evening I went there were only a few couples, with families and a large group staying and dining. I imagine it would also be gorgeous over winter with all of the common sitting areas with fireplaces throughout the castle.

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone who wanted a wonderfully unique and beautiful experience.

Room Tip: Request a river view ground floor room if they have them available. If you get one, you may also lik...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Buckfastleigh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Wonderfully set in it's own grounds with river and country walks. It has the best of everything. The staff are friendly and efficient, nothing was too much trouble. Our room was well appointed and had a great view of the river. We felt relaxed as soon as we had arrived, we got down to the serious business of sitting next to the log fire and drinking coffee. Eating in was a real treat, the food is well presented and of good quality. I can't think of a better place to stay and would recommend this place to anyone. We very much look forward to returning.....(again, again and again)

Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

This is a special place that I have always wanted to stay in and it didn’t disappoint. We had a lovely room in the main house with views over the river. It was very simply but very tastefully decorated and extremely comfortable. From speaking with a couple later that evening I gathered that they had been very disappointed with the room assigned to them and had been changed to one in the newer wing. So there is a variation in rooms as one would expect with an old house. Anyone looking for up to date luxury will be disappointed as this place is old style and very much in the manner of the fishing lodge it was initially built to be. You can imagine that must of it is as it has been for a long time and that frequent visitors would be most upset by any changes. Dinner was superb, expensive but worth every penny. There are lovely walks along the river and through the estate and of course fishing for those who are interested in it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Through our wonderful travel agent in Ireland, Claire Reilly, who works for Exploring Ireland tours, Claire made the hotel arrangements for our family vacation. With six family members to please, each hotel was surpassed by the next. One of our favorites was the Ballynahich Castle.
Reminded me of a Sherlock Holmes adventure. Grounds to walk around, rivers to skim rocks, fireplaces to sit by and enjoy our cocktails, then dinner in the bar/restaurant. We thoroughly enjoyed the food, the atmosphere was lively but subtle. The hugh bed was so comfortable for my 6/4 husband. Breakfast was superb. We wish we could have stayed longer!

Room Tip: Try asking for a room that runs along the river.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Indeed beautiful setting, and very friendly helpful service.
The food was delicious too both in the pub and in the restaurant and faultless breakfast.
On the minus side we had lovely superior rooms but miles from the main hotel(not easy when you can't walk easily which I had mentioned), the wifi was mostly unobtainable from there (you had to take your ipad to the main hotel),
Like another reviewer we were plagued by midges and so couldn't really open the french windows in a particular hot spell (should have had anti-midge sprays in the room?).
The bathroom was on the whole very nice with shower and bath too though to get at the loo roll one had to be a contortionist as it was lodged far on the left side!
At the price of the room , I think a soap bigger than a small prune could be expected (even 3 of them!) and a robe as well as those very small bath towels would be nice too!
But those are, I hope , constructive criticisms as the overall feel of the stay was very positive.

Room Tip: ask for superior rooms (river view) not too far from the main hotel.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed with friends and enjoyed every aspect of this fine hotel. The staff was without doubt amongst the most efficient and friendly we have encountered anywhere. The food was sublime and the grounds spectacular. I took an introductory fishing course with Jonathan, a gillie on the estate and within 30 minutes we were casting on the river, a wonderful experience. Where this is not an inexpensive hotel we came away feeling that we had value in every area. All in all we had a great time and will hopefully return soon.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Ballynahinch Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!