“loved it beautiful grounds” 5 of 5 stars

You added Ballynahinch Castle Hotel to your Saves list
Ballynahinch Castle Hotel
4.0 of 5 Castle   |   Ballynahinch River Front, Recess, Ireland   |
Deltona, Florida
“loved it beautiful grounds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

The grounds here are beautiful. room service was fast. very helpful employees. nice and quiet. not close to any towns.

Room Tip: upon arrival we were up graded to a suite, huge!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
East Grand Forks, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

We were disappointed that the castle didn't look like a castle at all from the exterior (no stones, turrets, etc.). However, the spacious room was the best of any hotel we stayed in in the country. The canopy bed, bathroom, and view were outstanding. Also, the bar restaurant was surprisingly delicious. However, we probably wouldn't stay here again though as the price is very high, and there are better values for castle hotels.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

We spent only one night in the hotel but the room we got wasn't well maintained at all, very noisy fan (difficult to sleep), we could not opened any window because of the bugs. I think the water is not safe to drink,it was really yellow colour. There is nothing within 5 km of the hotel where you could buy food, the dinner cost 80€ per person what I found very expensive. The scenery is very nice but I wish I have choosen an other hotel, what is not so overpiced for what you get.

Room Tip: Go to a B&B, would be more cosy.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Ballynahinch is just so special, it is a place that is utterly confident about what they do, which to me is providing a kind of timelessness, there is no swimming pool or spa in Ballynahinch and you won't miss them. There is wonderful walking in the estate, gazing at the river over breakfast is a delight and the staff are totally helpful, friendly and pleasant with no hint of obsequiousness.
The minute I cross the threshold at Ballynahinch I feel my shoulders relaxing, sitting at the fire in the Front Hall with a book, a drink or coffee is my favourite pastime!
The food in the restuarant is a relevation, and the bedrooms are supremely comfortable.
Overall, the whole place is delightful!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Galway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

Ballynahinch Castle has it all , we stayed there in May 2011 for two nights , the hotel is amazing and I will definately be back. The open log fires , splendid views and then the staff. The Manager (a tall chap) seemed to know everyone and was very efficient . The walks on the grounds are wonderful and maintained brillantly. This place is just perfect . We got a good inclusive deal and whilst it is a lot more than you would pay in the city, the hotel itself is soo worth it if you can afford it . Get there early for breakfast as when the time to close arrives the staff are very quick to tidy up and clear the buffet so my tip is get there an hour before closing time and just enjoy the wonderful Ballynahinch experience........

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the river .......
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

This is such a wonderful place for many reasons. We were couples in our early 30s and at first were concerned we would be bored and definitley noticed most people were older than us. We LOVED our stay. Our room was gorgeous, we were in the newer section in a superior room and had an amazing view of the river. Yes, its not cheap but for what you get here you would be crazy to think it would be.
We loved the staff, everyone was extremely friendly and went above and beyond. We did a fly fishing 1/2 day w/ a guide (Simon), he was awesome and we had such a great time. It was something great to learn to do as a couple and take in the beautiful scenery. The castle has such a relaxed vibe. We ate two nights in the Fisherman's Pub, but this is nothing like Pub food. The service was spot on, especially Damian in the pub. Everything was excellent- we were also able to wander in any of the common areas, hang by a fire and get food or drinks. We were quickly able to see why there were many people older than us, because this is a place people come back to for years. Only wish I had to improve it was if it had a spa, then it would be perfection!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Blackwood, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

I was looking forward to our stay at Ballynahinch Castle but was very disappointed.We had two rooms. Our rooms were beautiful. My room, #12 was very hot. The AC was blowing hot air. The other room #14 was fine and the air worked well. I mentioned it to the receptionist and she said they would put fans in our room. The fan were put in the room but the room was still hot. There was a note in the room warning us not to open windows because of summer bugs. When I complained the second time I was told we could open the windows. I pointed out the warning note not to open windows after 7PM and I was given another room.The second room was a suite and very pretty. However, the television did not work. I certainly expected more for the amount of money paid for one night.

Dinner was good, but over priced. The staff in the dining room - excellent.

It cost me more to stay one night in Ballynahinch, then it did for the other six nights I was in Ireland! Next time I visit Ireland it will be Bed and Breakfast and hotels!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Ballynahinch Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!