“Do not stay here - What a rip off” 1 of 5 stars

Inishbofin House Hotel & Marine Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Inishbofin | Connemara, Inishbofin, Ireland   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Inishbofin
Dublin
“Do not stay here - What a rip off”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2006

Hi just back form a lovely weekend in Galway which included a trip to Inisboffin. Unfortunately we stayed in the Days Inn hotel. Where do I start - the room (a double was very small) about two feet of space each side of the bed. Our view was non-existent. We were looking at the back of the hotel - storerooms and a grassy hill. There was something wrong with the bathroom door as it took enormous effort to close it. The room did not have tea making facilities, a TV or an iron and ironing board. When I rang reception they told me they had an iron and no ironing board. The following day we were charged 170 euro for 1 nights stay. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed July 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2006

I spent one of the best weekends ever in Day Hotel Inishbofin this May and I have to say I could not fault the place. Geraldine and the girls on reception were so relaxed and friendly that they immediately made you feel like you were meant to be there.

The bar has the most chilled out and lovely atmosphere and I started off my break with a great Bailey’s coffee sitting in the big comfy armchair overlooking the little picturesque harbour.

We then went and dropped our bags to our rooms and they were beautifully bright and airy and very clean. The white duvets on the bed gave it a very fresh feeling and we again had wonderful views across the little inner harbour and out to the Atlantic ocean.

We then took bicycles and wandered around the island to give ourselves a great appetite.

We had booked dinner for 8pm for 4 people in the restaurant and we decided to meet at 7.15 for a glass of wine in the library. We got one of their recommended wines and spent a lovely hour in the library soaking up the amazing view across the island to the old cromwellian ruins.

Dinner was just lovely, I had beautiful pan seared fresh scallops and we also had prawns, brie and a caeser salad for starters. There was then monkfish, hake and steak ordered as the mains and I could not fault one of them. Desserts are not usually something I go for, but we all had a dessert and I had a most exquisite hot chocolate fudge cake with ice-cream and cream…. Talk about putting on the pounds before my eyes, but it was worth every mouthful.

Our waitress was foreign but she had great English and was very helpful, so much so that she was even enjoying a friendly banter and was telling jokes.

All in all we had an amazing weekend on Inishbofin and two weeks later we went out for another enjoyable weekend with my parents who also fell in love with the island.

I have subsequently booked my wedding in Days Hotel Inishbofin as I think it is just a magical place with a great hotel in a beautiful location and great staff to boot.

I would highly recommend that you try Days Hotel for yourself.

• Stayed May 2006
Wargrave, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2006

I stayed at Day's Inishbofin House Hotel last week. I had had dinner there last summer and it was a wonderful meal, similar to the type of menu they still advertise on the website.
With that in mind I was very much looking forward to staying there this time.
However it was a great disappointment. The hotel itself was beautiful, but the staff would do well to check out thier own website and see what exactly they advertise.
They mention a warm island welcome, it is a poor reflection on the island if that were the case. They advertise a spa that should have opened at the end of May, but is still little more than a pile of rubble.
The private vaulted library, which has stunning views, was more like a private internet chat room where a staff member made us to feel like we were intruding on his private conversations as he chilled out with his feet on the bookshelves.
The food was very basic , the menu uninspired with a distinct lack of any fresh seafood.
Had there been another restaraunt we would have left after the first course. the staff seemed overwhelmed with only 3 tables in use, and very dismissive, not at all interested to hear if you were happy with badly cooked meal, presented on a chipped plate. It was school dinners all over again.
The reception staff often came across as hostile, which is not what you go to Inishbofin for. There was no information in the rooms about any services/meal times, useful numbers or anything to help you find your way.
It showed a complete lack of inititave from the manager. No apologies whatsoever for not coming up with what they advertise.
Such a shame that all that effort was put into the building of the hotel, because without any warmth there is nothing.
The island is beautiful and there are many other places that do not offer a private vaulted library or marine spa, but you may be sure of a warm welcome.
I have been going there for years, and will not return to Day's.

• Stayed June 2006
InishbofinHouseHotel, Manager at Inishbofin House Hotel & Marine Spa, responded to this review, January 11, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lenghty review of your experience of staying with us in 2006. I am aware that this response is long overdue, however, I do wish to acknowlege your points. Please be assured that we take all guest comments seriously and it is policy to respond to all feedback.

I can assure you that it is the responsibility of all staff to ensure that each and every guest has an enjoyable and pleasant stay with us. This is now evident by the positive feedback we have received from guests over the past few years.

Many changes have been made to our menu, both in the bar and the restaurant, we now offer a wide variety of menu choices in keeping with the changing seasons. There is something to suit all tastes.

Our Spa has since opened. We focus mainly of relaxing treatments and a sense of wellbeing. A sea weed bath after a day out exploring is our most popular option.

Our library still offers stunning harbour views, without the internet chat room vibe.

You note that you have been coming to Inishbofin for years and would not return to us. Perhaps the next time you're over, if you call in, I can assure you that you will receive a warm island welcome from each and every one of our friendly and informative staff members. Maybe we could attempt to restore your faith in Inishbofin House Hotel again.
IRELAND
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2006

Just read review and agree with it. I spoke to rude people on the phone and typical rip of Ireland. Owners not willing to sell rooms for one night only, had to book for 3 nights. This is not in my view how to run a successful business. No tea making facilities in rooms. Advised that it was due to Insurance purposes, this is total rubbish as all the TOP hotels in the country have this facility. Wake up Days Hotel.

Stayed January 2006
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience with us back in 2006. Customer feedback is of the utmost importance to us as it helps us to define who we are. I know this response is long overdue, however, I do wish to acknowledge your points.

Although you didn't get to stay with us, I can assure you that all staff now are friendly and personable and offer excellent customer service. We have a variety of packages available for as many or as little nights as one desires to stay, at very competitive prices.

We hope that you may someday take a trip west and stay with us to experience first hand what we offer. We hope that we can restore your faith in Inishbofin House Hotel again someday soon.
dc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2006

My wife and I visited Inishbofin recently and stayed at the new 4 star hotel. However we experienced the worst service ever. The staff were indifferent and rude, hardly any Irish people work there. We were amazed by how poorly run the hotel was as it is very pretty.We went to the local pub where we were told by the staff that it was not a sucess the owners were builders who didnt know the business. We met the old owners wife there who is quite a rude lady and dosent seem to have too much going on upstairs.!!!
Hopefully it will soon be sold and someone good will take it over one local told me!!\
Beautifull island , terrible service.\

InishbofinHouseHotel, Manager at Inishbofin House Hotel & Marine Spa, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience of staying at Inishbofn House Hotel back in 2006. I realise that this response is long overdue but I believe it to be only fair to acknowledge your points.

We are actually a three stay hotel, and always have been. We pride ourselves on our customer service, and this has been acknowleged over and over again by the positive comments given by guests over the past few years. The Hotel is a success and is managed by an experienced Hotel manager. All staff are attentive to guests needs and carry out their work in a joyful manner. Plenty of changes have been made over the past number of years to ensure each and every guest has an enjoyable stay with us.

I apologise that your stay was not satisfactory in 2006. Perhaps you will make a trip again sometime in the future and hopefully we can restore your faith in Inishbofin House Hotel.

Been to Inishbofin House Hotel & Marine Spa? Share your experiences!