“Enjoyable and delicious” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Mount Juliet, Tennessee
“Enjoyable and delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

First visit. We wanted bar-b-q and went on TripAdvisor to find a place near our shopping to try- glad we did! This is not a chain restaurant and it shows. The meat is cooked right there six days a week.
I'm not usually a brisket eater-
give me a pulled pork sandwich and I'm happy, but what the cook was slicing up looked so tender and moist I couldn't help commenting on it. I joked that I would want that crispy piece on the end and moved on down to order my sandwich. When my tray met me at check-out, there was a big chunk of brisket on my plate as well. Husband ordered a pulled pork plate but got the same free-be. Great!0
This is a cafeteria line. Enter, order, pay. Get your silverware (plastic but at least it's sturdy), fill your own drink cup and sit wherever you want. We were there at lunch on Saturday. Seating was plentiful but I suspect it would be different at supper when the live music starts.
Our food was hot and far exceeded our expectation taste wise and in quantity. I had the sandwich with baked beans and coleslaw. Surprisingly, the beans were very, very good-not sure what they added to the recipe. The slaw, just good, a little mayonnaise-y. We decided to taste the brisket first. It was SO good we could have eaten nothing else. Before the meal was over we taste-tested each of the sauces on the table but no sauce was as good as the brisket alone. Outstanding.
Moving on to the pulled pork, we found it to be almost as tender, flavorful although with more fat. I wished I had asked for it to be chopped as the chunks were too large to bite easily. I brought half of my sandwich home and I'm sure ill enjoy it just a much tomorrow...though I will wish for beans to go with it.
there was a pan of homemade banana pudding on the food line but neither of us got it this time. We would not have had room anyway.
Though self-service is the rule, twice we were checked on to see if we were happy or needed anything. The guys working were locals and good to talk to, offering information on finding the flea market and the history of the business. We always appreciate friendliness. It makes a difference.
A variety of musicians play on weekends, they say-a lot of blue grass and country. We will probably drop by for that sometime. But as for getting a good meal and eating in a playful pleasant atmosphere, I think you may be better off going when it isn't too crowded. Good place for families,
We liked it and will go again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Jacksonville, Florida, United States
“Great BBQ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stopped by to get some take out. Ordered the four meat plate. Generous portions, reasonably priced. Very good BBQ.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Mount Juliet, Tennessee
“Brisket to die for”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My tastebuds recently had the pleasure of eating at Tom's Blue Moon BBQ.

Having not eaten there before, I really didn't know what to expect. All the food is made fresh, on site. The brisket was juicy and flavorful. I didn't use any of the sauces provided because this brisket just didn't need it. My sides included greens, green beans and corn bread. The bill for 4 of us was around $45.00. Be forewarned, they are BUSY on Friday nights and you order at the counter, there is no wait staff. However the folks working were fast so don't be intimidated if you walk in and the line is stretched to the door. You won't wait long.

Every restaurant has it's downside and for this restaurant it was relatively minor things. I would have liked to see vinegar available for the greens -- perhaps it was but they were so busy on this Friday night that the line was out the door (literally) so getting someone's attention was a challenge. Also they ran out of beer. Ran out of beer? At 6:30pm on a Friday night? Who does that? Apparently they had someone run to the store and get more -- I guess they don't have kegs -- anyway, the Blue Moon we ordered was replaced with a Bud Light and we were done with dinner when it finally got here. If they had run out, they should have just said so upfront when we ordered and we would have had soft drinks instead.

When all is said, though, the food was terrific and we were able to sit and chat for about 90 minutes without anyone running us off. I will definitely go back the next time I am craving BBQ.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Athens, Alabama
“We wanted to like it. Just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We've tried Blue Moon a couple of times in the last year. On our first stop the pulled pork was decent and the fries were great. The BBQ sauces are OK. Prices were typical.

On our next visit the pulled pork was dry and seemed to be leftover from a couple of days back with that leftover pork taste. The fries on this visit were greasy and limp.

We wanted to like Blue Moon as it would be a convenient place to stop for good BBQ on our travels between home and Knoxville several times a year. Had the last stop been as good as the first we would still be stopping by 3-4 times a year but that trip ruined us and we just can't stomach the idea of going back.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Tennessee Ridge, Tennessee
“Fun Evening with friends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Visited here one evening just before touring the Christmas light show across the street. There were seven in our party and everyone enjoyed their food. The setting is really exceptional. I'd call it cool country. Stuff to look at everywhere including bikes hanging from the ceiling. Portions were generous and the food is filling. I would have appreciated a little more originality and thought in the sides but I think most people come here for the smoked meats.

• Visited December 2012