“Great Place!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cashel
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Great Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Our overnight stay in August 2012 after a hard day's cycling was made very enjoyable by friendly and helpful staff. We were given an upgrade to a superb suite with a view of the Lough because the hotel was quiet. The hotel food was substantial and excellent. I thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the view of the Lough.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I stayed a night at the Zetland with my parents, we took two double rooms. As a country house hotel, its expected that the decor be shabby and comfortable, and it was certainly comfortable. Everything was very clean in the rooms and common areas, the sitting room was warm and welcoming and I spent a few hours curled up in front of the fire on my laptop while my parents enjoyed the live music in the bar. The food was lovely and the service really could not be better, everyone is so friendly and chatty, full of local knowledge, and keen to make sure you're having a nice stay.

If you're looking for a comfortable base from which to explore Connemara, I'd recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: My room was right above the sitting room, where there was a fire going all evening, and as a result...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Aliso Viejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

My son and I traveled through Ireland and stayed 2 nights at the Zetland.At first we thought it might be kind of a stuffy place but were very pleasantly surprised.The hotel has a very lively pub attached to it (that the locals obviously enjoy!)We heard irish music and enjoyed watching people and children dance.The staff was excellent and very friendly (esp. Pamela.) The owner Colm was great! He took my son fishing for hours and set us up in some great fishing spots.All in all a great stay!Also the grounds are lovely!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I feel I have to write this review for two reasons, the first been to disagree with the review of Klaus 37Who obvious has no comparisons of a world without materialism, I was at the Zetland Hotel For my very first visit the last week of June of this year. And found it to be very well decorated in the style that is suitable to its environs. Country, with art work on the walls, it was a mix of both local work, which I love to see showing on the walls in such a fine hotel, and some very original pieces.
I was fortunate enough to be up early and the amount of staff busy at work, cleaning. They were pleasant and made sure that all downstairs was complete by 7.30am as not to disturb guests who like me like to read my newspaper in peace.
I love to walk and was delighted when the receptionist was not offend when I stepped in the front door with my dirty shoes, she very quickly and politely handed me a bag to place my shoes in. And told me not to worry. She was out with a small vacuum straight away; I must say I was the embarrassed one as I had carried dirt in to the foyer that was immaculately clean. The surrounds of the Zetlands is a fantastic place to walk or hike, and return to beautiful clean, large, peaceful rooms and wonderful food. Dining in the big dining room with specular view across the bay was out of this world. The craic in the bar with the locals was amazing. I would very much recommend this fine establishment. With regards to the owner who is a man of straight talking and good humour, was the first person I’ve meet who takes the time to spent with his quests and is very good to staff, which is reflected in the pleasant atmosphere within the hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We ( a couple) stayed here some weeks ago ( early June). My first impression was that we had arrived at the back door, we entered the lobby where yes the receptionist was very friendly. We arrived at our room, I think we must be in the old part, there was a lingering damp smell, the decor was very 1980's, you could see the damp behind the wall paper. The room itself was very spacious but in desparate need of a revamp. We walked into the dining room and decided that we would not eat here as it looked grubby, for example the large windows in the dining room looked like they hadn't had a good clean in over a year. The breakfast room seemed to be part of the bar and again it was very 1980's and could do with a revamp. There is a beautiful view from the hotel but the grounds seem a little neglected, some bits looked OK and others not. I don;t like being so negative but I feel I have to give this review as we chose this hotel based on the other reviews here and I honestly could not agree with most of the reviews here. Maybe it depends on what you are looking for but given the cost of this hotel ( its not cheap!) I would expect the claenliness standards to be higher, also I would expect a reasonable standard of decor in the room, not faded upholstery and damp peeping through the wall paper. The lounge again is a very big room but a mish mash of worn looking furniture and some very cheap paintings on the wall interspersed with some nice paintings. We met the owner who seems a pleasant enough chap although he did repeat the same stock phrases everytime we bumped into him. Overall we very both very disappointed with the quality of our accommodation and I can honestly say we were glad to leave. Sorry to say I won't be returning.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Cheddar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed here for our wedding anniversary and cannot praise highly enough the friendly service and attention to detail we received from all the staff.
The hotel went out of its way to make us feel so welcome. We stayed in rm 10 which is huge and has fantastic views of the bay. We ate in the restaurant both nights and the food was very good, although menu is a little limited. The hotel's bar comes alove in the evening and there was some great music and a fun atmosphere into the early hours. Colm (the owner) is a top man with a surprisingly fine voice!
The hotel has fishing rights to many of the local lochs and streams and I will definitely return to explore these further.
All told, we could not fault the stay here and I'm trying to find time in the calendar to return for some serious fishing.

Room Tip: Our only experience is of room 10, which is huge, well appointed and has great views overlooking the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Lake Charles, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We stayed here for one night during a week long cycling trip in May. We were actually the hotel's only guests at the time, so it was pretty quiet. It was cold and raining during our bike ride, so we were relieved to arrive to a roaring fire in the front lobby. Everyone was very friendly and paid attention to all the little details that made our stay very enjoyable.
We stayed in one of the more modern suites with a fantastic view of the grounds, and it was tastefully decorated with a few vintage touches (but nothing too old-fashioned). The bathroom was huge, with a jet tub as well as a walk in shower with 360 degree shower heads.
Although I got a bit of a Shining vibe at times, I'm pretty sure it had to do with being out in the country and being the only guests.
We also met the manager and owner, Collum, during our stay, and he invited us to have drinks with him after our dinner. All in all, everyone went out of their way to ensure that we received the best customer service possible. We will definitely be back one day!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Zetland Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!