“NOT GOOD” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Saggart
ladybird
“NOT GOOD”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2009

Myself and my boyfriend stayed for 5 nights, part of a prize package into the Irish Poker Tournament, Luckly it was paid for because i wouldn't pay a penny to stay here again. I am not at all ungrateful for our trip, whether it was paid for or not by ourselves is not the point, our experience was disappointing.
Our room was very old fashioned, miles it seemed from the reception area, we didn't have any extra pillows for our bed, our shower was leaking, i reported it on day 1 and 2 of our stay, by our departure, it was still broken and no body had come to check it out.
The housekeeping supervisor was very rude to her staff, she told them that if the rooms werent up to scratch, their wages would be docked, and this was in the corridor outside of our door, very unprofessional indeed.
The food in the bar was very limited and boring, sandwiches and chips, that was it, our dinner was very over cooked and expensive, we resorted to going to the local village to shop for snacks and take away.
The staff seemed very put out and grumpy, no smiles, at reception, the porter was acting more like a niteclub bouncer, staring at guests, watching their every move with a sneer on his face.
Over all, the grounds are gorgeous, but it seems that the look is all fluff and no substance. I wouldn't stay here again.........free or otherwise.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Devonport, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2009

We stayed 2 nights 7th & 8th April 2009 & paid $AU 154 per night incl. breakfast. It’s a grand old building & very impressive when you first pull up, Rolls Royce, helicopter etc outside. Our room was on the 3rd floor in the west wing of the building. It took a good 5 minutes to get to our room from reception & both our room key cards failed to work several times, which meant a long trek back to reception. The room itself was very spacious & well appointed I think judging from the previous reviews it must have been redecorated, the halls etc seemed to need a facelift but I guess they’ll get around to it. The breakfast was good. There is plenty of parking however most of it is around the back & not good if it’s raining. We decided to take the bus to Dublin rather than drive. The bus goes from the front gates & takes you into the city centre which was very convenient.
They did not connect the phone to our room because we could not provide them with an imprint of a credit card, we had explained on arrival that we had to cancel them due to having them stolen a few days earlier & didn’t have replacements yet. We told them we had a phone card & the number we wished to dial was a free call number, so eventually they connected it, just to make the one call. The other hotels we had stayed at up to then had been far more understanding & helpful to our situation. Our daughter, back home in Australia, had rung & left two messages with reception for us to call her back but they did not pass them on. These were very important calls to do with our replacement cards, so I am not too impressed.
My husband is a smoker and is quite happy to go outside to smoke but there is no undercover area so he had to stand out in the weather.
We dined in the hotel the first night but found it was very expensive €24 ($AU48) for fish & chips for 1 person. I had the Steak & Guinness pie which was about €15 it came with steamed vegetables, the waiter asked if I wanted chips or mash & I chose mash, only to find when we got the bill I had been charged extra for it as a side dish. We did not dine there again. Drinks were dear also €5 for a pint of Guinness. We found all Ireland to be very expensive but this place was by far the dearest.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

This is a big old-style conference hotel, a good 20-30 minute's drive outside of Dublin. There's not a whole lot to do nearby, but that was OK. We had a rental car and drove into Dublin several times without any major incident (though judging from the miles of outbound commuter traffic one day, I wouldn't want to get caught in the rush hour tangle!). Parking was hassle-free, free, and convenient.

It's clearly trying to be impressive with the helicopters, golf greens, and Rolls-Royce's parked outside the door. And while the hallways and rooms could use a modern overhaul, it's by no means a dump. The many pubs/restaurants inside were nice, there's free wi-fi on the first floor, the service was helpful and prompt, and the breakfast buffet was pretty good! The exercise room is clearly newer than the heated pool, but we were happy with both. I only wish the mattresses were newer - they were on their last legs and you could feel the springs. So my overall review would be a 3 3/4 star, if possible.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Dromore, Northern Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2009

We stayed at the Citywest for 2 nights over Easter school holidays. We were a bit worried by some the the previous reviews, but i have to say we were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. some people have described it as shabby or old fashioned, i would say it was a lovely, traditionally decorated, old country house estate. Hotel rooms are always going to have marks on the walls, or a dent on the furniture, sure hundreds of people stay there every night, coming and going with suitcases, housekeeping are in and out every day with hoovers and trollies. Our room was clean, spacious and very comfortable. We did experience some noise on our first night, but there was a Paddy Power poker tournament on, but it was not excessive and it did not disturb our 5 year old son, the second night was very quiet.
Breakfast was fantastic on both mornings, i suppose it just depends wat your are after, we all enjoyed cooked breakfasts that you normally dont have time for at home, We also ate in the bistro just behind the bar on the ground floor, our food was nice, served quickly and very enjoyable, nice surroundings. All in all, we would return to this hotel again no worries. Leisure facilities were also great. Used pool area, would have prefered jacuzzi in main pool area so i could have enjoyed this with my husband.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
West Sussex, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

Family and I spent two nights here in four rooms over Easter. Very busy hotel and a poker tournament made it even busier. Huge complex and a great place for golfers. Check in a little slow and not the friendliest but then again there were quite a lot of guests checking in. Rooms very big, clean and a little tatty and some what old fashioned. Housekeeping staff very friendly. The breakfast was fantastic. Everything you could think of was available even down to soya milk (which I use and have never found this anywhere else). Had lunch in the lounge a couple of times. Waiting staff excellent and food great and at a reasonable price. Drinks a little expensive but then expect that in a hotel (possibly appeared more expensive due to poor exchange rate). Ate in the Bistro but disappointed with the quality of food. However, the restaurant staff were excellent. Had a young child in our party and found the hotel child friendly and he was well catered for.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

First impressions as you enter the long drive are "wow". The grounds are lovely and there were a couple of helicopters parked up. I thought "this place has got to be really top end". The reception is nice and the front desk staff excellent. In fact, all the staff were great, especially the chap in charge at breakfast time, he really cared about his guests, and that is a rarity these days. Anyway, after I checking in it was a long way to find my room (in fact it took about 5 minutes walk from reception). The lifts had graffiti in (all 4) and were very rickety. It did not create a good impression. The decor in the hotel is really dated - 70s/80s chintzy wallpaper, and the carpet is loose in places so is ruffled, and it looks scruffy. The corridors are long and faceless and it looks like something out of the film The Shining. Getting to the room - I took a suite as I had customers coming to visit on all 3 days and it was a handy location for them - firstly the TV was on the blink and the remote did not work. Some channels were fuzzy, and the channel choice was rubbish. The decor and furnishings were SO dated, curtains were not fitted properly (hanging off the rails), and made with really cheap fabric. It needed a real facelift. The view from the suite was nice, over the golf course, which looked nice. The bed was comfy, but the pillows were really polyestery, and not the best. The room had free internet, through a cable you just plugged into the back of the hotel. That was great.
The lounge part of the suite had a sofa and 2 big armchairs. It was OK. There was a big plasma which didn't work very well.
The food in the hotel was OK, a little overpriced (they would get away with it due to the isolated location), but I guess the weak Pound made it expensive. The bar is massive and on the Sunday was rammed with an after-wedding party which got quite raucous.
The breakfast room was very hot, and the food itself was very average. The fruit juices were served in those horrible machines. The apple juice was watered down and of poor quality. The cooked breakfast was OK but a bit greasy. The cereals and pastries were very bog standard.
The reception let me have a late check-out (5pm) which was very much appreciated. They tried to charge me 50 Euro but I argued with them a bit and they gave in (rightly so after spending a fair bit in the hotel).

They also wanted to charge me 35 Euro for a flask of coffee so I could give my customers drinks during the day. Ridiculous - so I didn't bother.
My customers were not impressed with the hotel.

Paying 170 Euro per night B&B for the suite was dear but would have been a lot more in the city centre. It was accessible for my customers, being about 10 minutes from the M50.

If we did another "mini-exhibition" like this again, I would look for a different hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Saggart hotels

Limerick
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2009

Huge hotel, 1500 rooms I think. The room was huge so we could barely see the television from the bed, it was also freezing on arrival. Furniture was very dated. Bed was very comfortable, breakfast delivered to the room was beautiful and staff helpful and friendly. No breafast delivery at weekends. I was trying to sleep in but unfortunately maintenance work carried out on our floor prevented this as plumbers started tearing the roof apart right outside our door at 08:30!! Overall the hotel didn't feel at all homley. I'd look for somewhere else in the future.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Been to Citywest Hotel, Conference & Event Centre? Share your experiences!