“Charming Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lucan
Sligo Ireland
“Charming Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Recent stay for nearby family party. Room clean and quiet with comfortable beds. Friendly helpful staff and lovely breakfast the following morning. First time to stay there and will be back.
Strangely they do charge for wi-fi ( the first 20 mins is free), in an era where you get free wi-fi in most coffee shops libraries and Hotels I found this to be unusual, reception said it was to do with the server.. so change your server I would suggest!!!

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms very nice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
thelucanspahotel, Manager at Lucan Spa Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear amberIreland,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Lucan Spa Hotel on Tripadvisor. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. I will pass on your positive feedback to our staff. I am delighted to read you had a comfortable and quiet night's sleep.

On the Wi-Fi internet issue, we are currently in discussions with our internet provider to negotiate a deal to offer complimentary wi-fi internet to all guests. Unfortunately, while we realise the attractiveness and importance of complimentary wi-fi for guests, at this moment in time we are tied down contractually to extraordinary costs which have made it unfeasible to offer complimentary Wi-Fi. We aim to have this sorted as soon as possible.

Ulick Colgan,
The Lucan Spa Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We were harassed by the staff with phone calls before the check out time reminding us of the checkout time, what made the phone calls worse was the tone and rudeness of the staff member on the phone, when we checked out the lady who was making the phone calls was sitting at the desk continuing to work on something and made no eye contact with us while I was trying to check out. I have never met such unfriendly staff and will never return to this hotel

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Katrina M,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Lucan Spa Hotel on Tripadvisor. Reviews are very important to the hotel and help us improve the hotel experience for future guests.

Im glad to see you approved of the cleanliness of the hotel and our bedrooms and enjoyed a good night's sleep. I'm sorry to hear of you comments about our reception member of staff. I will investigate this complaint further.

If you wish to contact me to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to phone 01 6280494 or email colganu@lucanspahotel.ie.

Travelers are raving about these Lucan hotels

Athlone, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Cavery food available to St Brigids supporters after the match on St Patricks day.cavery was open until 7pm or after. Food was excellent and large portions, great choice on the menu, good value money, and very friendly staff. I am looking forward to calling there again soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear ager0,

Thank you for taking the time out to review The Lucan Spa Hotel on Tripadvisor. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your meal at the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon and hope you are still celebrating St. Brigid's win!

Ulick Colgan,
The Lucan Spa Hotel.
Lucan, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I booked the spa for a family celebration not so long ago and I would like to say that it was a very pleasant experience. The manager Justin was so helpful, he couldn't do enough for us ..such a nice helpful gentleman. The food was terrific and the "can do attitude" in the hotel was second to none. However having held a function in their sister property The Lucan County Bar, I would like to say that I was appalled, Although the function room is very nice and the staff were very friendly and helpful except for one person , the manager Simon. It was my nieces party this time. I was shocked to hear him roaring at the staff in front of everyone I really feel this should be done i private, also some of the language he used I could not repeat. It was very embarrassing for all who had the misfortune to hear this language .He just did not seem to care at all in fact i think he thought it was rather quite funny which of course it wasn't. The food was over cooked and greasy. Although we felt like we should complain we didn't feel like it would get us anywhere and we were afraid of the managers reaction, even when we saw him smoking out the front on our way out we decided not to bother, Just as he didn't bother to say goodbye to us.This type of behavior only brings down the tone of an establishment and we were shocked this type of attitude is accepted in the Lucan County Bar.I have warned others to avoid at all costs. I will stick to the Spa Hotel in future.
Justin was a dream, Simon was a nightmare.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
thelucanspahotel, Manager at Lucan Spa Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Mary O,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and enjoyed your meal. I will pass on your positive feedback to our team of chefs and our manager Justin.

I am very sorry to hear of your experiences with The County Bar. As you mentioned, The County Bar is a separate business to our hotel. However, I will pass on your comments to the management team there and would like to apologise on their behalf for your experience there.

Marketing Manager
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We visited The Spa Hotel last Sunday on Mothers Day or lunch the restaurant was very busy and we had not booked . We had a drink in the bar and after 10 min we were called to our table in the restaurant. A four course meal for 23.50 each was beautiful a great choice in each course. Though the place was busy the staff were friendly and helpful an enjoyable afternoon

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bernie,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your meal at The Lucan Spa Hotel. I will pass on your compliments to the staff here and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Marketing Manager
Cork
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed at hotel for recent family christening in the area. My partner myself and son had double room For the price of the room I found it very basic. The bathroom barely looked like it was properly cleaned. Shower had bad leak and part of shower head fell off when I was showering. Staff were rude unhelpful and abrupt. The customer service could do with huge improvement. At hotel bar with other family members who were also guests. Bar staff clearly didnt like having kids around. Why have family rooms in a hotel if children are not welcome?Food was basic to say the least My partner had panini and chips which looked like it was flung into a microwave and thrown on a plate .Was soggy, and barely edible. Have to say worst hotel I have visited and I wont be going back there again.

Room Tip: Make sure you have proof of your booking
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
thelucanspahotel, Manager at Lucan Spa Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Emma O,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Lucan Spa Hotel. Reviews are very important to us and we appreciate all feedback from our guests as it allows us to regularly identify areas where we may be able to enhance our guest’s experience.

I am very sorry to hear your stay with us was below your expectation. Following your comments, I have asked the maintenance team to take a look at the problem areas you have described and these have now been remedied.

If you would like to discuss your stay at the hotel in further detail, please do not hesitate to contact me using the details below.

Marketing Manager of The Lucan Spa Hotel
Tel (Office): 01 620 8468.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last night and I have to say it was the worst hotel experience I ever had. I was with a large group after attending a family christening we had 6 rooms booked after a mix up with two rooms we found the receptionist to be very unpleasant she even asked my mother to stop talking!! Then we had the misfortune to bump into the manager in the residents bar he told us kids were not allowed after 7 as they would upset other guests even though there was only about 4 other people in the bar then he spent the whole night throwing dirty looks at us. Rooms are old and shabby. Food was expensive and not great. All the staff seemed grumpy and ignorant I would not stay here ever again!!!!

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Sammyjaimee09,

I am very sorry to hear your stay with us was below your expectation. Following your comments, I have carried out an extensive review of the events that you describe. Following this review, I have established that some mistakes were made by the hotel (with regards a mix up of one of the bookings made). However, I would like to explain some of the events that you have described in your review and I feel some parts of your review are misleading to the general public.

Upon checking into the hotel, there was a mix up with one booking made by your party. On behalf of the hotel, I apologise for this error. While the receptionist on duty was looking for the booking on the system and speaking with the relevant member of your party, a second member of your group began raising their voice on the issue and demanded they be checked into the hotel. Our receptionist kindly asked this person to take a seat until she was finished dealing with the first person. The second person then moved away from the desk and the matter was resolved within 5 minutes. At no point was our receptionist member rude to any of your group. The hotel takes pride in the warmth and friendliness of our staff and it is the one thing, along with the high quality of our food served, that is regularly complimented.

The hotel is a family owned and run hotel and is delighted to host families from all over Ireland and beyond, having done so for over 50 years. Our bar policy is that children must vacate the bar premises after 7.00pm for security and legal reasons. On the night of your stay, we were happy to waive this policy for your group. However, a member of our management team did approach a member of your party and kindly asked would your party mind moving to the back of the bar as the children were standing and playing in an area where hot food and plates were being brought through to other guests eating at the bar. I am sure you understand our concerns for this request, due to the high risk of a child accidently bumping into a member of staff carrying hot food or drinks. It was for your own safety this request was made. However, this request was ignored by your group. The children in your group continued to stand in an area where food was being served to other guests. A number of regular guests complained and after which we had to ask your party to move out into the lobby of the hotel. I am sorry you feel that we were unaccommodating. However, I must stress that it was for your overall safety that this decision was made, following your party’s insistence not to move to a safer area in the bar when asked. The lobby offered a safer environment for the children in your party, and allowed you and your group to continue your social evening.

If you wish to discuss the matter further, please do not hesitate to contact me using the contact details below:

Tel (Office): 01 6208 468

Been to Lucan Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!