“OK! for short term!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Lucan
Athlone, Ireland
“OK! for short term!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

This Hotel is rather old and very basic, but clean. I have stayed here on previous occasions so i am basing my opinion on returning visits. It is situated outside of the City, but with easy access by road, as the Main N4 passes by the gateway. There is a bus service into the City too, the stop is 100 metres from the Gates. Car parking, is no problem in the lower perimeter car-park which has steep concrete steps up to the Hotel front. Car spaces in the top parking area are very rare. While we were staying, there was a van from a drain cleaning business parked over 2 nights in one of only two disabled parking spots by the main doors! Of course-NO permit! The reception area is spacious but cosy, and quiet. Our room was rather small and cramped with 3 beds stuffed in for profit sakes before resident comfort. Unfortunately, it was at the front of the building, where the noise from the motorway continued throughout the night, (I prefer to sleep with an open window). Breakfast is served in the lower ground restaurant which is spacious and bright. Food is quite tasty and served by pleasant staff.
While there is a night porter on duty, this Hotel seems to close down at night-time. The night porter admitted that he has no keys or access to either the Kitchen or indeed the Bar after closing. So, if you want late Food or Bar facilities look elsewhere.
As part of the Colgan Hotels Group, i expected a bit more, would not consider this a Family Friendly Hotel.

Room Tip: For peace and quiet, avoid front facing rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
thelucanspahotel, Manager at Lucan Spa Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Jim,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at The Lucan Spa Hotel. Thank you for your continuous business that you have provided the hotel.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast meal and thank you for your positive comments on our staff.

I'm sorry to hear that you did not get a good night's sleep. While our front facing bedrooms are close to the nearby N4 roadway, the double glazing windows offer excellent sound insulation. Unfortunately, this is only when they are closed. For your next stay, we would be delighted to reserve you one of our quieter bedrooms.

While our food menu stops serving at 9.30pm, we try and make it possible to provide fresh sandwiches for guests who ask for a late snack. Unfortunately, this does not seem to have been made available to you during your recent stay. I will personally mention this to all night porters at the hotel to ensure fresh sandwiches are available at late hours.

Thank you for your time and we look forward to welcoming you to the hotel in the not-to-distant future.

Kind Regards,
Claire Casey
Lucan Spa Hotel.

130 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I have checked in for a one night stand to be close to my work for an early meeting . I have check in at 8pm for a double bedromm for 2. I was expecting my freind to come joining me at 10 pm .
he has been denied to join me in my bedromm as not considered as a guest despite i booked a double bedroom.
I have left the room and chenge Hotel . On the other side the Hotel room from number 20 to 24are in a very old part of this hotel, cold , absolutely looking like an old Hospital bedromm and the bathroom with broken tilles
I worked for years in the hotel industrie and never had to comment on such a terrible experience in 40 years ! I now work as manager for a major company 800 employees and will make sure we will never organise any event in this place nor recommend it for our partener or employee to stay.

Eric

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Lucan hotels

Castlebar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Stayed here with my partner on a quick visit to Dublin on a Sunday night, we looked for something cheap and cheerful and that's exactly what we got. The hotel was clean pleasant and fairly standard. The price was the best part of it as we got it for €40 for the 2 of us WITH breakfast (bargain) the room was fairly dated but clean and a little cold, didn't mind too much as it was September. The breakfast was excellent and the service at the hotel was also excellent. I would stay here again if I was to get it a good rate. I did hear some bad reports about this hotel but I thought it was fairly good for the price, I would be willing to pay more if the rooms were a bit more modern.

Room Tip: I was in a very basic room didnt see any others so cant recommend any.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

The rooms were basic and old. I was very unhappy with the staff at reception. I simply asked directions to the bridal suite. I explain i was need to get the bride ready and not just any guest. it felt like she was looking down her nose at me. she asked me to many questions and then called the suite to check with the bride. At the end of the night i asked another receptionist to call a taxi, I told her were it was to go and for how many but she nearly wanted the exacted address and her attitude was like it was to much trouble to pick up the phone. The amount of money that was spent in the hotel that weekend and I felt like nobody . I would not be in any hurry to do any business with that hotel

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Stayed here for a Saturday night as I had to attend a friends birthday in the city, and the price was right. Have to say reception staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Our room was large,very basic,but clean and comfortable. Ended up having a great sleep in as it was so quiet and reception never even bothered us. The great staff more than make up for this hotels shortcomings!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Newry, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Found this hotel lovley, the building itself was really cool. We ate in the resturant and the food was great, the prices were very cheap for Dublin even the drinks. Our room was clean and tidy, all in all we had a good time. For the money we paid, we got a real good deal!

Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Food was ok, nothing special but then it's a budget rather than 'quality' hotel. While a case of quantity rather than quality, the 3 course meal deal [starter, main and tea/coffee and cinema ticket to Liffey Valley Vue] was good value, for what you got. There was a wedding on that night and we didn't hear any noise from the room, which was a bonus.

But we arrived back late so it was only the next morning we noticed that the room hadn't been cleaned or hoovered, and the towels hadn't been changed since the previous guests. Who wants to dry their face with a manky towel with a big brown manky make-up stain on it?! We couldn't have showers anyway as the water pressure was non existant - and the water that was coming out of the dirty plastic shower head went from freezing to boiling - definitly not safe for children or the elderly.

We spoke to the receptionist as we checked out who neither seemed surprised, nor bothered enough to offer a simple apology, never mind a refund or discount. In all good conscience we would never recommend this hotel to anyone we knew.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Lucan Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!