“Summer travels in Donegal” 5 of 5 stars

Bunbeg House
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   The Harbour | Gweedore, Bunbeg, Ireland   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Bunbeg B&B and Inns
Derry, United Kingdom
“Summer travels in Donegal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Spent a blissful few days in Gweedore in late August, stayed at Bunbeg house and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Rooms were clean and spacious,breakfast was excellent,staff friendly and courteous and the setting beside the old harbor in Bunbeg was fantastic.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Derry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I first read about the place in the book McCarthy's Bar, where the author extolled the virtues of the owner - how courteous and friendly he was and how he went above and beyond the call of duty in arranging stuff for him. It sounded nice and we went there for a weekend a number of years ago, it being only a few hours from where we live. We were checked in by a pleasant woman and all seemed fine. When we came down for breakfast the first morning the owner was on the floor taking orders and such. He seemed really nice; joking and smiling with a couple as he took their order. Then he disappeared, knowing that we were waiting, and only returned when the couple's food was ready. He served their breakfasts with a smile and hen came over to us. We found this 'pleasant' host to be nothing more than an incredibly ill-mannered individual. We greeted him with a 'Good morning' and got the reply: "Tea or coffee?" No smiles, no pleasantries. Just a 'I feel very put out' sigh as he wrote in his order pad. Same deal as he took our orders for a fry, every question uttered as though it was such a chore. He turned and muttered something along the lines of "They'll be right out" as he walked away. When he came back he put the plates in front of us without a word uttered and that was that. Away he went. The rest of the weekend was the same. We wondered what the problem was, because he was being really nice to the few other couples that were staying there. We came to the conclusion - rightly or wrongly - that because we didn't have the look of 'money' about us - like the other couples sort of had - this guy just didn't give a toss.

Fast forward to the present day and we were in the area again and decided to give Bunbeg House another go, this time for a meal. We talked about the last time but agreed to give it another chance. After all, the location was great and everyone deserves a second chance, right? We got in and were seated. The owner was behind the bar talking to a man as he dried a glass. A pleasant enough girl came up and took our orders. We had to go to the bar to order drinks but that was no big deal. When I went up the owner was at the end of the bar talking to this man about fishing, telling him about good locations and that some guy had caught a big salmon at a particular point in some river. I was standing maybe six feet from where they were, the only person stood at the bar, waiting to be served. He knew I was there but continued his conversation with this man. I waited for about 2 minutes before he finally turned his head and said, "I'll be with you in a minute." Then he listened to the guy tell some fishing story before finally prying himself away to serve me. "Right..." was the one word he used to greet me/ask me my order. I ordered 2 gin & tonics and he served me, again, as if it were a chore. I paid, he handed over my change, then put on a Guinness for the guy he was talking to and started chatting to him again. Even though the place wasn't busy, we waited almost an hour(!!!) for our food, which was incredibly infuriating. The girl came down and apologised a couple of times, saying it wouldn't be much longer. The food that arrived was nice enough, but by heck we really did not enjoy it. We left pretty fuming that we had given this guy more of our money, and a second chance.

I don't know what the deal with this guy/establishment is bit one thing is for sure....we will never set foot in that hole again. I'm sure if you tramp in wearing a Barbour coat (or tell him you're writing a book) you'll be treated like royalty. But if you're the kind of person who likes to spend your casual time dressed in jeans and a t-shirt and you don't have a Rolex on your arm to show you're earning £££ you'll probably be treated like vermin.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Recently spent weekend here and found the whole atmosphere and pace totally relaxing and unwinding. Its location is really lovely, hidden and private but still very convenient. Found everything clean and tidy and breakfast was great. Many thanks to Andy for being a very welcoming host, and to Jean and family for their hard work.

Room Tip: we asked for a harbour view though for a quiet night think any room would do
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Nice breakfast
Bad points:-
Tired, dated room
Frayed towels in bathroom
Very indifferent attitude of the young man who informed us the cafe was closed. Told us to walk ( nearly a mile) up the road where we would find a cafe on the corner. It was also closed.
The worst part was it was so COLD. When asked, the same young man did turn on the heating for a short while. We got soaked through and couldn't dry our clothes and shoes as the heating didn't come on at all the 2nd day!!
The Internet connection only worked in the TV lounge

• Stayed September 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We went for a weekend trip. Great location, the view is stunning, overlooking the natural harbour and pier. It was so relaxing. Jean and Andy made us very welcome.
Internal handrails would be helpful as I have trouble climbing stairs. The rooms could do with a bit of a make over but I would stay again.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Just spent three nights here and had a great time. The setting at the harbour is beautiful and very relaxind. Andy and Jean were great hosts and made our stay memorable. The accommodation was great and the service was very efficient , but most of all very friendly. I will be going back next year.

Co. Antrim N Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

My wife, daughter and myself recently stayed here. The location is very good, with a great view of the beautiful harbour and rocky coves. The hosts, Jean and Andy are very pleasant and helpful, although a little difficult to find at times. The rooms are tired and slightly depressing and would be in need of a good makeover.
The breakfast was ok, with the usual cereals and cooked fry on offer.
I had originally booked two nights with the option of staying for another two so we were all glad to be moving on. We found another B &B not far away, which was excellent.
I made the mistake of using Bunbeg House's own booking agent, Gulliver travel, instead of booking.com so I paid quite a few euros more than I should.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Bunbeg House? Share your experiences!