“weekend break” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ballybofey
Lisburn, United Kingdom
“weekend break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

we stayed with Jacksons on th 29th nov for 2 nights. We booked our stay on grab one and for £96 for two nights it was well worth the money. The hotel staff where great, room was great lovely river view of the Finn. Our room was on 5th floor which had a massage chair , great shower which was a steam room and Jacuzzi bath. Room was clean and the bed was sooooo comfortable my husband and i both slept very well. We didn't have dinner in the hotel as we ate out, we had breakfast both mornings and it was great too. we also had friends with us whos little girl was with us and she loved the Santa show was a lovely weekend with great Christmas spirit just the weekend i needed to get me ready for Christmas. we also used the swimming pool, steam room and sauna which where are lovely. A nice weekend overall we cant wait to go back in the year and now that i know its a pet friendly hotel i may also bring my dogs next time

will be recommending Jackson's to my family & friends
Thanks G. Musgrave

Room Tip: ask for a river view the finn is stunning
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jacksons H, Manager at Jackson's Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

It was an absolute pleasure to read about your recent stay at Jacksons Hotel and thank you for sharing on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us. Our massage chairs and Jacuzzi baths are addictive, and definitely enjoyed by all guests. The stunning views of the River Finn and Drumboe Woods make a beautiful backdrop of tranquillity, a peace of nature that our hotel is very privileged to offer.

Our team at Santa’s Hotel are thrilled they helped you all get into the Christmas spirit and are thrilled that you all enjoyed it.

Hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Jacksons Hotel again very soon.

Jennie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Randalstown, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

The rally was a special event for the club, it's 30th anniversary celebration, and the hotel did not disappoint. The staff were very helpful throughout the booking process by meeting our changing needs and during the event. A room to store equipment, a projector / screen and an an area in reception to display club picture memorabilia was readily provided. The rooms were clean and of a high standard and the food (a high priority for motorcycle weekend events) was very good. A restricted parking area was made available to the members. Overall the weekend event was considered very successful and any feedback received confirmed this. I am sure a lot of the members will have no hesitation in making future bookings for friends or family. I would like to thank the hotel management and staff for looking after us so well.

Room Tip: The new side of the hotel has the best rooms but may suffer from noise from weddings etc.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Firstly I would like to thank you for choosing Jacksons Hotel to celebrate your clubs special 30th anniversary celebration. It was our pleasure to host your group’s special event. I am absolutely delighted that you all had an enjoyable stay with us. I personally dealt with your group and I would like to thank you for being so efficient and organised.

We look forward to welcoming you all back again in the near future.

Lisburn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Purched 2 night b&b break with groupon
Found the room to be clean and tidy with a great bed and shower .
View from window was of river finn (very nice)
Breakfast both mornings was fine .
Staff were most friendly and helpful .
4year old daughter enjoyed herself .
At £96.00 was great value .
Looking foward to our next visit .

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write and post your review of Jacksons Hotel on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear that you had a satisfying weekend break with us, enjoyed the nice views of the River Finn and recognised our friendly and helpful staff members. They will be thrilled with your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you all back again in the near future.

cavan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

October this year I saw online about Jackson's hotel and santa experience. As we have a 5 yr old I thought this would be a lovely weekend break away to get the festive spirit going. I phoned to book for a Saturday night stay which was advertised at €174 however because there was 2 adults and only 1 child I was told it would be €154 for a family room. Great! I was then told that I could upgrade to a deluxe room for €20 extra so I agreed as I thought that was the price originally. All booked and ready to go.......a deluxe room for the 3 of us with the Santa experience!
We arrived after 2 hrs drive and first impressions were lovely, exterior was beautifully lit with Christmas lights, the excitement started. We got a car park space a distance from hotel which was badly lit. In we went and checked in to our room.
Upon entering room it was ok! Nothing WOW. My husband decided to have a shower before dinner. The water in the shower was hot on the cold setting and cold on the hot setting and took AGES to get warm up. Eventually we dressed up and went to the bistro for dinner in readiness for 8pm Santa experience. It was 5:30 and The bistro was busy and we were put on a waiting list for a table but we were told that the garden restaurant was open at 6pm should we wish to dine there instead. We waited in the bar as the foyer was very busy with the 6pm show gathering speed. The restaurant staff member came and located us in the bar to say our table was ready. We commented on how busy the foyer was to which she replied that she was going to call us earlier but couldn't be bothered to get through the crowd and so decided 'we could wait'!
We ordered and waited..........ages.........! Our son ordered chips, burger and beans.......no beans arrived. We ordered the platter for 2 as a starter..........it was dripping with grease! Mains arrived......be careful, they arrive with sides.....do not order extra sides! My husband ordered chips.......they didn't arrive either! Staff were friendly although they seemed a bit disjointed, several different waitresses served us! We were also not offered early bird menu which we would been entitled to as we were seated before 6, a 3 course meal on early bird should cost us €40 in total but instead our not very nice meal cost us just over €60 but included a pint and child's meal, still expensive for what it was.
And then the Santa experience we waited so long for and been so deflated since, although our son enjoyed it. I would agree totally with the previous review, it wasn't good! Very amateur set up.
Afterwards when we were back in our room I began to dwell on the room itself. On the internet it said that the deluxe rooms were on the new wing.........and we were not! I went to reception and to my amazement it transpired that a deluxe room was never booked for us.......gladly we only paid €154 and not the upgrade at €174!! I said about the early bird menu situation and was told there was no manager on duty at that time........9:30pm!!
The room was a bit tired to be honest, curtains did not fit window, very noisy with other residents closing their doors (our door had to be banged hard to close), no kids channels on tv despite being a family room, window latch broken, headboard on single bed free standing, no clock, no iron, no ironing board, water cold in bathroom, overall poor.
Breakfast..........awful! Self service affair! Cold food and cold service! Toaster broke! Up and down up and down..........! No jams on table, up to get..........no sauces on table, up to get!! Only good thing was a hot coffee!
Reiterated again to reception when checking out re early bird situation and I was told 'I've just come in on duty'!!!!! Was same girl as night before. She said she would inform manager with my concerns, will wait and see.
Overall, a very expensive experience and a very poor experience. Had I known before I prob wouldn't bothered. Could spent my hard earned cash on something more worthwhile for my son, although he did enjoy it. Not good value for money. Day visit may be better deal.

Room Tip: Not recommended at all.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing about your recent stay with us on Trip Advisor. I am very sorry to learn that your stay on this occasion was not to your complete satisfaction. During our popular Santa’s Hotel experience our Garden restaurant is serving the same menu as the Bistro. I sincerely apologise for any delay you experienced with your food, our experienced culinary chefs prepare all dishes to order.

Thank you for recognising that our staff members were friendly and I am delighted that your son enjoyed our Santa experience.

I am disappointed that you weren’t satisfied with your room decor. Our standard traditional rooms are maintained regularly with the decor being apt to the original theme of the hotel.

I would like to apologise for your disappointment and hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back.

Newry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

just home from 2 nite stay in jacksons on arrival our room had no heat or hot water had to ask to be moved next room was bland curtains hanging of hooks holes in sheets really terrible fresh towels were not provided had to ask for them dinner on first nite was just ok but 2nd nite was uneatable frozen vegetables were not cooked served still frozen. potato was powdered potato not fresh all had to be returned dining room staff did not appear to have any training breakfast just as bad bacon served not cooked still raw even the owner noticed I didn't eat mine due to how under cooked it was but still no one seemed to be in charge and staff in general didn't appear to care I will never go back and will be letting others know how disorganised this hotel is and how they do not look after their guests a very disappointing week end as I had been giving this as a birthday gift by my daughter

Room Tip: ask to see your room first
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of Jacksons Hotel on Trip Advisor. I sincerely apologise for the issues that you encountered during your stay with us and would like the opportunity to investigate these further. I would be grateful if you could provide me with your room number and dates of stay as I have no record of your complaint on file.
stay@jacksons-hotel.ie

Cookstown, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

We booked directly with the hotel for one nights stay with the Santa experience included. There were 4 adults and 4 kids in our party.
Our room was located in the new part and was apparently a "deluxe" room. There was nothing deluxe about it and to be honest glad we paid for upgrade as I would hate to see standard rooms.
I had a pram with me and it caused a problem in the room, space wise, with a title "deluxe" I figured I wouldn't have this problem. (We needed the pram for newborn to get around hotel, somewhere for her to sit through dinner and during Santa experience etc). The walk from reception to our room was lengthly, it took over 5 mins when you take into account having to wait on 2 lifts. Speaking of lifts, the one at reception doesn't work on first floor- my husband had to run down the stairs each time and come UP in the lift so that we could get down in it. I said this to receptionist who said if I went up the 7/8 stairs beside it (the lift stops on a half floor/mezzanine area) I could call lift from there and get it to pram- I then asked if I was on my own did she expect me to leave my baby to do so, she laughed and said "ill get someone to look at the lift". Well it was still like that until we checked out following day.

We arrived at 4 and asked about dinner, we were told that bistro was best option if Santa thing started at 6. Went to the bistro at 4.45. Floor was wet under table and one of the children with us slipped trying to get into seat and fell, banging her head. Staff were very apologetic and kept asking if she was ok. She was, we didn't take that any further and spillage cleaned. Food ordered at 4.55, waitress asked if we wanted kids meals out first- they arrived at 5.40. Fish fingers & soup= 45mins. We did keep asking as we were to be out in reception at 5.45, it was always being "plated up". One of us took the 2 older kids on at 5.50 so they wouldn't miss anything. Then adults food arrived. Overcooked and plates were cold. We ate v quickly and someone went at 6.05 to let the other person come in and eat a little of something. That's when our side orders arrived. We decided at 6.10 we had to leave to rejoin group. (We watched few families order after 5 and leave before food arrived) Also the kids menus were colouring in pages- despite telling them they would get colours (this is how staff calmed the little one who fell) they then came back to tell them all the colours were being used. So for 45 mins we had to try our best to entertain the kids whilst they patiently waited on a couple of crayons- never appeared despite asking someone each time they went past. None of us had time to, nor wanted to finish our food even though we had travelled 2hours to get there and we all eager to have dinner.

The Santa experience is not what it reads. On paper we got so excited "magical forest, elves bedroom, mrs Claus' kitchen, reindeer".... It's all in a very large function room. The magical forest is in a corner - approx a dozen different sizes of lit-up Xmas trees. The rest are little garden sheds painted up (paint was still wet-husband leaned against one and an elf told him it was all wet). Some of the sheds had tea light candles in them and I had to tell Mrs Claus her tablecloth was almost burning. While the kids were in each one I spoke to elves to see if they stayed in character in front of kids- "gosh it's really busy isn't it?" Reply "I know it's mad, can't wait to get home" I then asked another "it's your first night here isn't it?" "Oh my god is it that obvious? Our wee show was crap wasn't it?" I just laughed- couldn't believe her response. Speaking of show- we felt like we were witnessing the first rehearsal- forgotten lines, some didnt know words to songs (the kids sang along better) and sometimes they all looked blankly at each other on stage. Anyway, after checking in on sleeping elf (in her shed and not in a room as our children expected) we went to sweet shop- not in a shed but a little room off the main room- it is disgusting. Floors and surfaces not clean and not fit for serving sweets out of. Thankfully kids don't see that. When my eldest got to bouncy castle he was on it 5-10 mins then the elf told him he had to get off as he was putting it down, my son asked why and the elf said the next group of kids were coming in very soon. My son explained he had only just got on and could he have another minute. The elf said "NO I need you off it NOW" he then turned to the parents who were tying laces etc and said "ill be glad when this is over" of course everyone is jolly and laughing at it all but to kids these elves are REALLY santas helpers. Not very child-friendly.
As for Santa himself, wasn't bad but 5 pics were taken, one of them santa had eyes open and looking at camera but unfortunately it was only one my daughter had her eyes closed in it. So I didn't buy any. For €10 you would like to be happy with the picture. The stage was set nicely, tree and sleigh at either side of santas chair however the pics look like he's just against a white curtain- these things can't be seen, nothing festive about the pic at all (apart from Santa obviously).

We went early to breakfast which thankfully turned out fine (8.30) as we were leaving restaurant there was a queue who were being redirected to another room. Upon speaking to a father later, he told us breakfast was a terrible experience. Our breakfast thankfully everything was available and enjoyable. At last a positive!
On another note- car parking is very very dark and quite a walk away.

Overall, this experience left us stressed out more than anything- not something you expect from a break away. When I asked my son following night what the best bit about weekend was he said "Letterkenny-we got to go to smyths" (we went shopping there after hotel). I have an extensive family who were waiting to find out if it was good to book- I have advised against it. Too expensive for what it is.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a lengthy review of Jacksons Hotel and I am delighted that you enjoyed your breakfast. Our Deluxe rooms are situated in the new side of the hotel and would be more modern than our traditional standard rooms.

All of our food in the Bistro is prepared and cooked to order, it is fresh and not pre made or par cooked. We do serve bar food in Joe’s Lounge Bar such as pizzas etc that can be prepared quicker and are ideal for families.

This year we have received fantastic feedback from guests about our Santa experience. Many of which are families that return every year and this year they have noticed the vast development that we have undertaken with our props and design. Such as igloo, backdrops, stage design, custom sheds and overall Christmas decor. The kids especially love it, many of which have not wanted to leave.

Our elves this year have been exceptional, practising late into the night and coming up with ideas to make the experience a remembering one for all the kids. Obviously there was an element of nervous during their first live show. They were also unsure what to do if a parent starts having a ‘normal’ conversation with them but all elves have now been informed to stay in character at all times.

I can assure you that the area where the sweet shop is situated is clean and meets all hygienic requirements that we must meet. Sweets are served by an elf that wears hygienic gloves and put directly into sweet bags and given to the kids.

I am slightly confused about your comments in relation to the bouncy castle, why would an elf tell your son to get off if he was putting it down because another group of kids were coming in very soon. Our bouncy castle is extremely large and takes considerable time to put up and down. We have 2 shows a day (6pm & 8pm) and we do not put it down in-between these time.

I do apologise if you weren’t satisfied with your picture but we do use an independent professional photographer and it is not compulsory for parents to purchase pictures, especially if they are not happy with them.

It is extremely disappointing that you left our hotel feeling dissatisfied and that we didn’t get a chance to rectify your issues in anyway.

Derry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Was never advised before our stay that this was a pet friendly hotel. To see dogs sitting on the furniture in the foyer and bar area was not what I expected during a hotel stay. Definitely not for me!
Bedroom was very spacious but noise of the shower in bathroom was unbelievable!
Breakfast was a complete disaster. no room in the dining room so fifty or so people were shifted off into another room - so disorganised. No bowls, cutlery etc set out or available - had to ask. Had to ask for tea and coffee and the self serve toaster was broke. We had to queue for hot breakfast whilst one poor unfortunate member of staff was given the task of trying to serve over 50 people from a hostess trolley not fit for purpose. He kept running out of food and had to abandon the trolley whilst he restocked.Awful. Never again!
Hotel needs a complete revamp and overhaul.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We are a pet friendly hotel, as stated on our website, however we do not permit dogs to sit on the furniture.

We open up our Drumboe Suite to cater for guests when our restaurant or bistro is full to capacity during peak breakfast times. This is to ensure that guests don’t have to wait for a table. We were exceptionally busy during the time you stayed with us and I am sorry that you were disappointed with our breakfast.

We are extremely grateful for providing us with your feedback and hopefully you will return to Jacksons Hotel again in the future.

Jennie

Been to Jackson's Hotel? Share your experiences!