“horrid” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ballybofey
n ireland
“horrid”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

we arrived on 24th June 2011, groupon! when i had booked my stay (4 weeks ago approx) i had requested a disabled access room, I have Multiple Sclerosis, the room was nice the only access was a rail beside the loo, there was abath, no walk in shower, i would not rate this room disabled access, i rang reception and requested a disabled access room they moved us without any quibble to 303 approx 25 metres from the lift, i have sever walking difficulties and this walk to the room was up hill, to someone with the same problems will understand it was like a moutain trek. Had the meal in the main restaurant that night, it was foul to say the least, inedible. bar drinks great and staff very friendly. at 10.00pm back up on the lift to the 3rd floor and heEn the hike to the room.

I left the breakfast card on the outside of our door for collection to have breakfast in bed for 9.45am saturday morning. At 9.45am we had opened the door to find the card still on the door, i rang down and the reception staff where more than helpful to have delivery of our FULL irish breakfast, waiting patiencently for our food only to be dissappointed 45 mins later with one rasher of bacon one sausage and a rubber type fried egg, half pot of coffee and 4 slices of cold chewy toast, 8euro for the delivery.

at 11.15 as we left the 3rd floor the lift was out of order, reception staff as lovely asever were unable to do anything. at 3.00pm i decided with the help of my partner to try and decend 56 steps after the 25 metre walk from our room to get some fresh air and space from the dull room. had a lovely late lunch in the stationhouse hotel in letterkenny, (beautiful hotel booked for september here) we didnt want to leave but did go back and the lift was fixed. i dread to think if there had been a fire or bomb in Jacksons Hotel how the devil would i get out. defo 2.5 star, need to find out re disability access!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TRY THE EQUALITY COMMISSION. if gruopon was to try and drum up customi it wont work, your staff were great!!! disability parking very bad!

Room Tip: dont go book elsewhere
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

Arrived night before we were due to attend a friend's wedding. After a long drive we were really looking forward to a nice meal in the restaurant. We ate there five years ago and had a fantastic meal so we were anticipating the same. The meal was inedible, none of us could cut our meat, it was so tough. We all ate mashed potatoes for dinner. So disappointing. Went to bed hungry and tired....very noisy. Plaster peeling off walls in new section, bath grubby,light in lift broken (total darkness). Woke up the next morning positive, excited about wedding, had decent breakfast. Went back to room for nice hot shower......no hot water. Rang reception, was told that boiler broke down and water would heat in ten mins. Hour and half later after freezing showers I was told I could go to leisure centre for shower....too little, too late. We were running late so had to go ahead. This plus the meal and our patience were being tested. Wedding reception was lovely in fairness, great atmosphere and I was glad. My mother arrived into her room that night to find that her room had been clened but someone had left a dirty wet cleaning cloth on her bed with her nightdress tangled in it!! House keeping needs to be looked at seriously. This is a four star hotel but it felt like a two star. We told the receptionist at check out but she seemed unshocked, she even said that the boiler problem was not their fault it was out of their control and she could only offer us a 30 euro discount on our bill. The first thing is that complaints need to be listened to, taken seriously and acted on. The breakdown of the boiler is their fault. The bad meal is their fault. Please don't make excuses, just act.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
RonniKerrigan, Sales & Marketing Executive at Jackson's Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2011
On behalf of Jackson's Hotel, I am very sorry that you experienced this during your stay. It's very unfortunate that our Lift and boiler experienced temporary failures on the same day. This is not a regular occurance and I do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Jackson's prides itself on providing a varied and tasty range of dining options. I am sorry that you did not enjoy it so.

The cloth incident is inexcusable and I can only put it down to human error. I apologise for this. Action will be taken.

It's pleasing to hear that you enjoyed the wedding so much but rest assured your comments will be logged and dealt with in a timely manner. I hope you appreciate that investigations and appropriate action can take some time and that we will strive to do so effectively.

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention.

Ron Kerrigan
co.derry, ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

We stayed here at the beginning of June on an excellent deal with a groupon voucher. we stayed in one of the old rooms - basic but comfortable, clean and lovely river view. Hotel was buzzing for the B/H weekend. Food was great, though breakfast was a bit "through-other" on the Sat morning - v.busy!! We enjoyed great music & craic in the bar on both Sat & Sun night. Pool, etc got a lot of use over the wet weekend!!! We've stayed at this hotel quite a few times over the last 17 years & it's a bit like "home from home". and the best bit is Murphy, the lovely old red setter who's just 'part of the furniture'. Looking forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: Just ask politely - if you're not happy!!!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
On behalf of Jackson's Hotel, thank you so much for your kind review. We take great pride and satisfaction in hearing that you enjoyed yourself so much. It was very busy here in Jackson's during your stay but I'm glad you enjoyed the buzz and atmosphere. It's great to know that you have been staying with us for over 17 years and that you will continue to do so.

We will be glad to see you again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011 via mobile

My wife and I have visited jacksons on numerous occasions and to date have never had a bad experience. I have noticed particullary over the past 3 years the extensive work that has been carried out to improve the experience. We are always greeted with a warm welcome, the food is the best you can get in the town and isn't that expensive. We have always been lucky to receive a free upgrade on arrival and the rooms have been spacious and clean. There is a unique and cosy atmosphere in this hotel, particulary sitting in the lounge beside the log fire with a beer. We always tend to end up there just watching the world go by. We will be back, and that's a promise. Well done to all the team for a job well done.

• Stayed July 2010
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

I have spent many a time in Jackson's hotel. I used to arrive the day after boxing day and stay until the new year. Each time, i would have had my young son, husband and in laws with me and i can honestly say i have never had a bad experience.

My partner & I returned for the last bank holiday in May. We had a fantastic time, and didnt leave the hotel the whole time we were there. The hotel was full and we met several people that we knew. The staff were well mannered, kind and very accomodating, nothing was a hassle for them. The food was fantastic. I have a few illnesses, which prevented me going down in the mornings for breakfast, our breakfast was brought to our room, and we were not charged for any room service. I was on my crutches, as we had decided that we were going to have a lazy, relaxing time. When we meet the owner of the hotel, she was very kind in offering to get me a wheelchair, if i so required. She also ensured that we had a bedroom close to the lifts to save me having to hobble any distance. She was very attentive and welcoming towards us.

I took the opportunity to use the spa in the hotel for abit of pampering, i had massages and reflexology carried out, again i was treated with upmost respect, the girls were extremely polite and helpful.

I would have no hesitation at all of returning again to Jackson's hotel, the renovations that had been made from my last stay were fabulous, even though the hotel was made bigger, it had not lost its feeling of comfort, and warmth of a beautiful cosy hotel, that you felt very welcome in.It was the first time there for my Partner, and he was very impressed. My only regret is, that i cant be there every weekend and for all the bank holidays. Well done to all the staff at Jacksons for making us feel so welcome and i hope to return very soon!!

Room Tip: All rooms are spotless and nicely decorated.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Northern Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

We had a spacious room in the new part of the hotel overlooking the river and it was well equipped and comfortable. We walked off all the extra calories with the trek to our room from the main part of the hotel!! If you want to be close to reception, pool, restaurant and bar ask for a room in the main building but if this doesn't bother you the rooms in the new part are very nice. The pool facilities were good - very quiet, although at times there was no one at reception to provide towels etc. We were a little disappointed that although a free meal was included in our deal the garden restaurant was closed for both nights of our stay and we were not told this until we arrived down for dinner. Although we would not have chosen to eat in the bistro the meal was good and reasonably priced. It is a nice hotel and I was very happy with it given we were there on a half price deal...!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
RonniKerrigan, Sales & Marketing Executive at Jackson's Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2011
On behalf of Jackson's Hotel, thank you for your kind comment. We are sorry that you did not get to eat in our 'Garden Restaurant' during your stay but I am glad that you enjoyed the 'Bistro' so much instead.

Your comment is much appreciated.

Lisburn, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

This was meant to be a getaway break but we came home more stressed than ever. We checked in at 3.45pm and after four room changes eventually got sorted at 5.50pm - two hours after arrival.

The first room we were given was still occupied so were offered a second room but this wasn't serviced. We left our luggage in this room and went back to reception to complain who gave us the key of another room to view. On first impression the room looked clean but on closer inspection we found that the duvet cover was stained and unchanged from previous guests, the carpet was filthy, used tissues were lying on the floor of the wardrobe and there were no hangers. We went back to the second room to collect our luggage and walked in to find the chambermaid straightening (NOT CHANGING) the bedding.

We told the receptionist that if it wasn't for the fact that we were so exhausted we would be leaving. We were offered a room in the new section of the hotel and told that there was a wedding on and we 'may' hear music. The 'may' was played down so we decided to go with it as this was now nearly two hours after our initial check-in.

We asked if someone could help with our luggage as we had moved it around so much but were told that no staff were available as they were all working at the wedding. The receptionist, who was lovely, offered to do it herself but we declined her offer. We were also told that as we had "Groupon' vouchers we wouldn't normally get to stay in the new part of the hotel??????

When we got to the room we moved one of the beds closer to the bedside table and found a condom wrapper and beer bottle lid - not the usual complimentary gift you expect to find. The toilet seat was broken, one of the wheels came off the dressing table chair, the batteries were flat in the remote control, there was a layer of dust on top of the plug sockets and skirting boards and the heating didn't work.

The term 'may hear music' was definitely played down as we were directly above the wedding and were kept awake until 2.30am.

On the night of our arrival the restaurant had no availability until 8pm so we decided to eat in the Bistro as we were tired and understandably extremely grumpy. We were shown the restaurant menu for information and told that we should book to avoid disappointment. Guess what - we tried to book on the Sunday and were informed that the restaurant was closed because it was quiet.

We had melon from the breakfast buffet in the restaurant and it had either been cut with a knife that had just been used to chop onions or was cut on a chopping board that had been used for onions. We asked for fresh melon which we received but we stayed well clear of the fruit salad at dinner just to be on the safe side.

We went out for the day to clear our heads and came back to find that our room had not been serviced. When we phoned reception I was quoted with "oh you should have been down as a stay over". No doubt, after four room moves we probably got lost in the system.

At 5pm we asked for the heating to be turned on as the room was cold but at 6.30pm when going for dinner it still hadn't come on. Asked at reception and were told that it had just been reset. Got back to the room at 8.15pm and still no heat. Phoned again to ask for the heating to be checked and if we could have extra duvets as it was so cold. At 9.40pm we got two DIRTY duvets. The radiator was checked and we were told that it probably needed bled (which we had previously suggested). Probably and doing are two different things - on checkout the heating had still not been dealt with.

Having worked in the hospitality industry for over 20 years, you can get away with the most basic of facilities as long as you provide cleanliness, good food, attentive staff and a warm welcome - all the things that can bring you return trade. I made a complaint about our stay at the time and was told that someone would speak to us, I am still waiting.

It takes 10 seconds to make a good impression and in 48 hours Jacksons Hotel has left an impression that I will be more than happy to forget.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
RonniKerrigan, Sales & Marketing Executive at Jackson's Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
On behalf of Jackson's Hotel, we are very disturbed to read this post. We take all guest comments very seriously and I apologise in advance if our investigations find your claims to be true.

We do feel as though you have targeted us somewhat, with false statements in relation to your stay which we can verify are untrue. These are serious allegations that you have claimed and rest assured that this will be dealt with accordingly.

We will be in direct contact with you within the next two days.

Jackson's Hotel

Been to Jackson's Hotel? Share your experiences!