“Great Value” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ballybofey
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Great Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

My wife and I stayed in the Villa Rose for a few days on a deal for over-50s. This is the first time we had done such and it was clearly very popular with those in their 60s/70s, with free dances etc being very popular. However for us it was more of a good base to stay whilst exploring surrounding areas. Handy for Letterkenny and especially Derry for shopping and visiting the sights etc. I couldn't recommend a tour of Derry's Walls highly enough - it was fantastic, and only £4 a head including a free cup of tea!. Back to the hotel however, it was clean and bright but its forte undoubtedly is its staff. They were brilliant in every area - reception, restaurants, accommodation and the bars. Other hotels could learn from here on how to provide an excellent customer experience - that's why I give it the full 5*s.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Ballycastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

We had a fantastic 3 night break in The Villa Rose last week. The room (second allocation) was an upgrade and completely beyond our expectations. The staff were extremely pleasant and courteous throughout our stay. The food was of a very high standard with large portions and lots of courses at every meal. You're in for a real treat if you decide to stay at the V R.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Just after Easter my wife and I decided to treat ourselves to a midweek break in The Villa Rose Hotel in Ballybofey as we are regular visitors to Donegal. We booked an over night stay which included use of the spa and a "spa treatment". Our check in was a pleasant experience and although we were early our room was ready. The room was beautiful and very clean and spacious and decorated to a high standard. The spa was very relaxing and the treatments were first class and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Duly refreshed we went to Fara's restaurant in the hotel and although they were very busy and we had no reservation they catered for us. The food was delicious and my wife's dietary requirements were catered for without fuss and the cost was very reasonable. Later as we relaxed in the bar the entertainment was really good. After a good night's sleep we had a delicious buffet breakfast with all tastes catered for. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone looking for a short or long break. They have a good selection of great breaks at really good prices. We will definitely be back so keep up the good work.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
SCOTLAND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

It's not often I leave a review as I stay in so many hotels that it would take a while. However, we were so delighted with the stay we had at the Villa Rose that i simply had to comment.
From the moment we arrived until the moment we checked out, we were welcomed by a great team of staff who simply couldn't do enough for us.
The room we stayed in was absolutely immaculate, very comfortable bed and great night sleep! We had dinner in the hotel the night we arrived, again the service from staff was friendly and attentive without being overbearing - so well done, you guys have got that just right!
The food was really great and definitely fantastic quality, everything was cooked fresh and tasted wonderful!
Breakfast the next morning was fantastic! Now, this is a bit of a statement coming up but the breakfast we had was definitely the BEST hotel breakfast we have ever had! We helped ourselves to cereals, fresh fruit salad, pastries, juices and the waiter brought us over tea/coffee - and that was just for starters! We then helped ourselves to the hot breakfast buffet, sausage, bacon, eggs, mushrooms, beans, black/white pudding.....it was delicious!!! Finished off with a round of toast! Really wonderful breakfast!
I was then booked in for a maternity spa package - honestly, what an experience! I actually felt relaxed, rejuvenated and pretty much like a new woman by the time I left the spa. The girl who take care of me in the spa (sorry I never caught her name!) was so pleasant and professional and really made me feel like a million dollars. While I was being pampered my husband made use of the Thermal Spa and really enjoyed it too.
Unfortunately our stay just wasn't long enough - We were only there for 1 night, but it was absolutely fantastic and I would highly recommend the hotel as it truly is a well run, spotlessly clean hotel with staff the owners should be proud off. Our next visit can't come quick enough!

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Stayed here last week with family 3 rooms all first class. Restaurant meals and breakfasts were excellent. The girls used the Spa and said the experience was great. The bar prices are fair. Most of all staff are very friendly and helpful

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Roscommon, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I stayed in this hotel with my mother as part of an active retirement group (1428 club, Mullingar). When we arrived we were given tea/coffee and scones. Reception staff really helpful when I needed the bathroom door handle repaired. It was repaired immediately. Bedrooms were really comfortable and the complimentary water was an added bonus. The dining staff were really friendly and saw that our every need was catered for. The meals were really mouth watering. There was a lovely walk in the nearby woods (which was needed after those meals!!!). There was lovely music at night in the lounge.I would definitely recommend this hotel as it is family run and there is an added friendliness in that. I will be back to this hotel again with some friends and we will tour the lovely countryside of Donegal.

Room Tip: I had a room on the second floor overlooking the football training grounds and it was really quiet s...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Killarney, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I have stayed here on two seperate occasions on business in April 2014.
New section of hotel rooms are v. comfortable, roomy, with all the facilities you would need, clean & warm. The downside: if you get put room 134 when theres a wedding on, you will Not be able to think let alone sleep. So the receptionist moved me to my new room at 11pm. Room 153 is just like 134, but with a twist,, no wedding noise but by God, the kitchen extract fans make a great substitute. ( They kicked in around 11.30. I waited half an hour or so thinking they might stop, but I had to call front desk to complain. The night porter turned them off ( no apology though)
No cooked breakfast available before 8 am except continental. This is a simply a penny pinching exercise here.
The second occasion I stayed in the old side, it wasnt as roomy as the new side but it is quiter. Still no hot breakfast again. How is this 4 star guest.treatment ?
I must say the front desk staff were friendly & very helpful. They were 4 star ! Might go back if I was stuck or didnt have to be at work at 8am. Business travellers/Workers beware !

Room Tip: Avioid rooms 134 & 154. Dont bother with breakfast option. You can have a cup of tea & cross...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
VillaRoseHotel, Owner at Villa Rose Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

While I thank you for your constructive feedback, I must say I find it hard to reconcile the fact that you would post such a review and less than 48 hours later ring to book in again last night for a two night stay. Since there was availability in the other hotel's in Ballybofey last night It leads me to believe that your stay could not have been as bad as you have reported since you still chose to stay here at the Villa Rose. We were all but fully booked last night and we offered your our last room. At the Villa Rose we always put the customer first and had you made any of your issues known to myself or my staff at the time I could have gladly arranged a cooked breakfast earlier than our scheduled breakfast times. Our corporate guests are very important to us and we treat them as such.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our bedrooms and reception staff, they are indeed four star in our eyes also and they are valued members of our team. While I accept there is some merit in your feedback I find much of it to be harsh and inaccurate. Our hot breakfast does not commence until 8am each morning, however on request we accommodate our business guests with an earlier breakfast wherever possible. I would also like to state that it is our prerogative to serve breakfast at whatever time we deem fit, this has no bearing whatsoever on the 4 star grading of the hotel. You did not mention in your review that we served you an early continental breakfast on each of your stays and might I add that includes the breakfast we served to you at 6.35am this morning.

Thankfully it has been a very busy April and on each of the occasions you booked we had limited availability remaining as your reservation was booked for arrival on the same day and as such the noisier rooms were all that we had left to offer you.

The one aspect of this situation that I cannot understand is how you never mentioned these issues to our team of staff & management during your stay. If you had mentioned the cooked breakfast to the manager on duty then it could have been arranged for you at the time. When you raised your issue with the night porter in regard to the fan it was dealt with immediately. Yes you are right, his phone manner could have been better and I will speak to him in regard to this but he did turn it off once you made him aware and this is the point I would like to get across. If you had brought your issues concerning breakfast to our attention at the time - face to face then we could have resolved them at the time rather than posting a less than accurate tripadvisor review. If you would like to discuss this further in person then please contact me directly during your next stay.

Regards
Thomas Gallen
Proprietor

Been to Villa Rose Hotel? Share your experiences!