“Excellent but it depends what you expect” 5 of 5 stars

Ballymaloe House
5.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Shanagarry, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Shanagarry B&B and Inns
Cornwall
“Excellent but it depends what you expect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

A night at Ballymaloe is one of life's luxuries but before recommending to a friend I would describe the experience. The house is furnished with thought with several dining areas. We stayed in the lovely green room in the old house. The grounds are worth exploring with a lovely area with hens, ducks, peacocks etc. We were pleasantly surprised by the friendly nature of the staff who always remembered who you were and what you had been doing. But do not go expecting a London Michelin experience. That's not to say that the food wasn't delicious because it was (how cabbage soup can be so tasty was a revelation). This is home local country cooking of a stratospheric nature, all taste and portions with only a slight nod to pretension. Friday night's buffet starter was delicious. We were offered extra portions of cod/beef after the main course and if we hadn't been starting to wilt (because of ample portions) we would have accepted. The cheese trolley and dessert trolley had lovely food and you were encouraged to try everything. That's without describing the coffee and petit fours (4 of them including home-made marshmallow with raspberry, delicious). They do get quite a lot of tourists during the day but it never interfered with our experience. Breakfast was the best I have ever had, an amazing fruit muesli, porridge like I have never had and that's before you get to the cooked items. Go to Ballymaloe but go for the Ballymaloe experience. If you do, you will surely be amply rewarded

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

My wife & I had our Wedding Blessing and Reception iin Ballymaloe in June.

The Blessing took place in the main house and the Reception the Grain Store @ Ballymaloe.

Everything was planned to perfection by Hazel, Roisin and the Staff of Ballymaloe House down to the smallest detail. The (5 Course) Wedding meal was superb (as the food always is in Ballymaloe)

All the bedrooms in the main house had to be booked FULLY by us but we had no problem in getting takers for the rooms as everyone wanted to stay!!! (Some might say it's a bad thing to have to book ALL the rooms but it ensured that it was only our wedding party were staying and we could party into the wee hours without fear of complaints from non wedding guests)It felt like we had our own private Country House for the duration of the wedding.

Our guests are still raving about the venue, meal and the service they received from the staff.

We (the wife & I and our guests) cannot rate Ballymaloe highly enough. It's a pity that there is only a 5 Star rating on here as we would like to give them a 10 !!!!

We would highly reccomend Ballymaloe to everyone.

• Stayed June 2010
Kildare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

I was lucky enough to stay in Ballymaloe and attend my friends wedding, from start to finish it was amazing, staff all truly friendly, food and wine wonderful. The relaxed atmosphere both on the day of the wedding and the day after was wonderful. I can't wait to go back. If the weather is good don't forget to pack swimsuits, the pool is really worth a dip.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

A haven of peace and tranquility. Attentive staff, truly exceptional food.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
cambridge
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Ballymaloe for a weekend, it was a wedding gift to us from my work. I was really looking forward to staying there, even though it has had a lot of bad feeling over Darina Allens husband. The house looks great from the outside so I was happy when we got there. We waited for ages for someone to check us into our room, which was disappointing, shabby and faded and it turned out to be very noisy even though I asked for a quiet location. The staff were either rushing around or stumbling around even though it did not seem to be that busy. I didn't mind the room too much as I was looking forward to the food......sadly it was bland, tasteless and overpriced. The atmosphere in the dining room was horrible as we stared silently and in disbelief as yet at another unappitising dish being served. We left a day early- no one asked why.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

Spent 40 euro Each for lunch. We have had better in our local pub for under 10 euro and I am serious. The veg was a dried up mashed potato and bland carrots & cabbage. I am not a chef, but I would let myself down if I served such food in my own home. I bought lovely produce in the Cork markets on my way home, and realy enjoyed the quality they brought to my table. I feel realy robbed of our hard earned money ,for an inferior meal from an establishment which is not shy of advertising itself as the best of Cork cuisine. Wake up Ballymaloe! I am not surprised that there were only 4 people in your restaurant that day and that included us two, in a house that could also do with a lick of paint.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

Ballymaloe is a very special place and the old fashioned style of the house / hotel is wonderful. The food is what this spot is all about and they really are uncompromising on the quality of their ingredients seemingly knowing all the suppliers by name, fantastic. The Sunday night buffet is a real treat with a selection of just about every kind of food imaginable served by the family.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Ballymaloe House? Share your experiences!