“still wonderful after all this time” 5 of 5 stars

Ballymaloe House
5.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Shanagarry, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Shanagarry B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“still wonderful after all this time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I have stayed at Ballymaloe House five times in the last 20 years and it is still wonderful after all this time. Quite a lot has been added - like the Cafe at the back of the shop and the Grainstore where musical events are held. The rooms are so cosy and Ballymaloe House is the perfect place to relax and unwind. There are wonderful walks, a swimming pool if the weathers is as beautiful as it was for our stay, croquet, and a visit to Ballymaloe Cookery School and it's gardens is a must.
The staff are attentive and as accomadating as ever and the spirit of the place that drew me to it all those years ago lives on. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Ballymaloe is one of the country's best country house hotels. Deservedly famous for its food, our dinner was absolutely superb and well worth the expense! Our courtyard room was lovely, despite appearing a little old fashioned with the floral wallpaper, but quality was top-notch. It had a nice little glass porch for leaving wet shoes.
The highlight was after-dinner drinks in the beautiful drawing room, listening to a trio of unaccompanied classical singers. With only around 40 guests, the entertainment might have been a bit overpowering in the relatively small space, but didn't at all. It felt wonderfully homely, helped out by the very friendly staff. Worth travelling a long way to stay here in my opinion.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

This is a very welcoming, comfortable hotel,catering well for abroad range in age of guests.The outdoor pool was a nice discovery when the temperature has in the high 20's. however it's food offering could do with some modernisation. The dinner menu at euro 70 offer beautiful food but the dessert trolley is dated in its offerings and presentation. Breakfast also could do with some modernisation - fresh fruit and maybe a continental breakfast selection. Stewed prunes with chopped bananas do not constitute a sufficient fruit offering. These things aside,the accommodation is very comfortable,well maintained and staff most helpful.all in all a very nice break from the real world.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
hazel071, Manager at Ballymaloe House, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for your comments - we will consider your suggestions on breakfast

Hazel
SW England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

After driving around Ireland with a group of friends we stayed on after they went home and treated ourselves to a few nights at Ballymaloe House. It was wonderful.
The rooms in the Courtyard are beautifully furnished and very restful. The beds are great too.
As you can imagine we had food to die for. It was an experience I will never forget and all thanks to the Allen family.
Breakfast is sensational, everything you could ever imagine and more. Dinner was out of this world and the lobster was perfect. I can't wait to return.
A visit to the shop is a must. I was so taken with what we ate I had to buy Daria Allen's Cookery Course and I use it at least 2-3 times a week every week.

Room Tip: We stayed in the very pretty courtyard and were able to keep the car close at hand.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
mullagh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

This is a beautiful house and a very worthwhile visit. The food was exquisite and the gardens were astonishing. Definitely worth an 8 hour drive from dublin! :) When I was there, I heard screams from the kitchen and I asked a waitress what happened and they has toasted a mouse in the toaster by accident! Other than that, it was a most enjoyable stay and I will be back soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I was lucky enough to have my wedding at Ballymaloe. It has always been a special place for my family and when I found out that we could host our reception there, I was thrilled. It is no wonder that the Allen family have people returning year after year. The service, rooms, grounds and food are outstanding. Having attended a few weddings since and now understanding the pressure that comes with preparation, I realise how lucky I was to have such a fabulous team looking after me. In the months leading up to our big day Roisin, Caroline and Hazel were extremely supportive and I never doubted that they would deliver.

The food at our wedding breakfast was incredible. We received so many comments from guests about how impressed they were with the quality and variety made available on the day. I knew the chef - Jason from days gone by in Ballycotton, which made it all that more special for me. My husband and I love watching people’s reaction when we ask guests if they liked the soup. The usual response is WOW. We included the recipe for the Pea, Chilli and Coriander Soup in our thank you notes and loads of people have tried it out at home. It is delicious.

We also had a large number of guests attending from England. For many it was their first time in Ireland and the welcome they received from all the staff at Ballymaloe was so warm. Many spent four/five days there and all were delighted with their stay. They especially enjoyed Rory’s music in the lounge each evening after dinner. Only a short drive to Ballycotton, all our guests were really given the full Irish experience. We can’t believe how lucky we were.

Room Tip: Our room was Lily of the Valley.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent a weekend anniversary and enjoyed the stay immensely. A lovely rural setting,with attention to make the guests at ease from start to finish. Breakfast is sensational with fresh produce abounding. Dinner on both evenings was of the highest quality and staff were excellent. A walk around the potato field is a great preparation . Worth the money. Thank you

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Ballymaloe House? Share your experiences!