“Crazy Busy but Top class” 5 of 5 stars

You added The Lord Bagenal Hotel to your Saves list
The Lord Bagenal Hotel
Main Street, Leighlinbridge, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Leighlinbridge
“Crazy Busy but Top class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Called in here over the bank holiday, the place was packed on Saturday night, we ate off the Bar menu, all I can say was Fantastic, everything was top class. Decided we would stop in again on our return journey Monday night and once again the place was packed solid, there must have being 200 people all around the bar and restaurant but our server was A1 and the place just seemed to flow effortlessly even with what I could only describe as bank holiday diners!!. Overall we can't wait to visit again our bill for 5 including starters, mains and drinks and wine was only €131. Top class.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I attended a wake at this hotel.
We were made very welcome and the sandwiches, tea/coffee were of the highest quality.
The staff were lovely and attentive.
Many of us ordered other bar food. Everyone was very pleased with their selections.
The seafood chowder and legendary bacon ribs are recommended.
There was a large wedding in full flow at the same time all rooms were taken. But the staff were magnificent and juggled the balls.
The hotel is well situated on the the river. With the weather being so sunny and warm it was beautiful taking in the views.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
EIRE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Stopped off here with friends for a bite to eat as we had seen some good reviews. This may well be the greatest venue in Ireland when it comes to catering for wedding parties but sadly I wouldn't detour from the motorway for bar food in the evening. Ours was edible and reasonably priced but certainly looked better in print on the menu than it did on the plate. I would not go out of my way to eat here again as food wise it wasn't a memorable experience. I cannot however fault the service. Waitress was very friendly, helpful and efficient. Such a pity.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Four of us called into the Lord Bagenal on Wednesday evening on the way home from Punchestown, the place was a buzz with atmosphere a big crowd from Punchestown were there as you would expect. Willie Mullins was there with friends having a great time, after one of his many win’s this season, he is having a great year, actually a record year. Pat Fahey was also there with an group of his friends, he had a great win on Wednesday in Punchestown, they are two of racing’s gentlemen. The craic was mighty, on my Face book account on Thursday I see they were still opening the Champagne at 3.45am and filling one of the trophy's that the lads won that day.
We had a great meal on the night I had the Mussels to start with, I think they were Duncannon or maybe Dunmore East mussels not sure which but they were great, I then had the fillet of Beef cooked rare/med rare and it was great as usual, one of the boys had a burger with the bacon and cheddar which was great and the lad with me had the Dover sole, he said it was gorgeous and it looked great, the other lady had the Chowder and the sirloin and she said the chowder was awesome, the steaks she said was great, lots of flavour, I prefer the fillet, she likes the bit of fat in the sirloin, gives it the flavour she feels. I find the steaks are always great in the Bagenal, We had a great night and have to say the craic was mighty, I was just sorry that I wasn't there at 3.45am when they were still opening the old champers. I tell you a great spot we had a mighty night. Be back soon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Leighlinbridge, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Called into the Bagenal for a burger this evening, as I didn't fancy cooking. Wished I hadn't bothered! Ordered a beef burger, with caramelized onions and blue cheese, when the burger arrived the meat appeared to be microwaved as there was little or no evidence on the burger itself of even seeing a grill, it was bland and lacked seasoning, the caramelized onions looking like they had been boiled as they were soggy and had no flavor, the burger bun had not been toasted and was dripping and so soggy with sauce it started to fall apart when I picked it up, there was white cabbage in it too, but that was part of the root of the vegetable. The chips were soggy on the outside and raw in the middle and the salad on the side! Bruised lettuce and soggy cucumber! Come on Bagenal Chefs! We expect bigger and better things! The one saving grace of the place was the good pint and lovely staff who refunded me for the terrible excuse of a burger that was served.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
jkehoe, Manager at The Lord Bagenal Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear timbocarlow,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. The experience you describe is not characteristic of our 34 year heritage in Leighlinbridge and we feel does not reflect what we strive to offer our guests. Your feedback was shared with our team, who confirmed one complaint on the night of April 24th. With regards to your experience I can assure you none of our products are cooked using anything but traditional cooking methods.
It is unfortunate you felt it necessary to voice your concerns online, as our Team member who dealt with your inconvenience felt she had adequately alleviated your concerns. If you would like to discuss the matter further, don’t hesitate to contact us directly on 0599774000.
Regards,
Management Team, Lord Bagenal Inn
Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Not a bad place but rooms are outdated could be very noisy if a function was on the staff are friendly and the breakfast ok but for this price you might expect table service Sunday morning papers were a mice touch

• Stayed April 2013
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We ate in the restaurant here recently having been frequent visitors over the years. It was a work outing where we were entertaining guests. All agreed that the food was incredible and the service very friendly and genuine. A great night was had by all. I had stayed in the hotel previously about two years ago and was greatly impressed by the rooms, the comfortable bed and fantastic bathroom, I would have no hesitation in recommending the Lord Bagenal for either accommodation or food.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Lord Bagenal Hotel? Share your experiences!