“Great Spanish School/Eco Hotel in a beautiful setting” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Mariposa Spanish School and Eco Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Masaya
La Mariposa Spanish School and Eco Hotel
De la Cancha, 200 metros al sur, 50 al este | San Juan de la Concepcion, Masaya, Nicaragua   |
Special Offer
Family room package deal
Ranked #1 of 6 hotels in Masaya
Bozeman, MT
“Great Spanish School/Eco Hotel in a beautiful setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

Escuela de la Mariposa is a very special place. It is very comfortable and gave me the feeling that I could stay for a long time. The service is tops, the activities are really fun and informative and the staff very professional. It is carved out of some great country. The language school is directed by Bergman a guy whom I would put into the category of ‘the-best-group-of-people’ in the world. He is a tremendous multi-tasker. Likewise Paulette has done a tremendous job of putting together one of the best Spanish schools around. At my basic level of Spanish I felt my instructors were very very good. They quickly evaluated my level of Spanish and tailored their teaching to my abilities.

269 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

This is not your traditional hotel. However, if you are looking for a place to study Spanish in Nicaragua, but do not wish to do a full immersion and home-stay with a Nicaraguan family (which is immeasurably better for learning any language !) , the Mariposa Hotel and Language School is an excellent place. It is located in a beautiful but non-touristy area, and within very easy access of some of the best highlights of Nicaragua. It would also be a great place to come with children, especially if some or all of the family want to do some language training. Paulette, the owner, is helping the local community and nearby schools as part of her long-term commitment to the country. Bergman, who directs the language school, is a renaissance man who is capable of excelling in everything from teaching the imperfect subjunctive, to singing to providing veterinary services to doing stand-up comedy....and then a lot more.

Portland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

My stay at the Mariposa was a wonderful all around mini vacation, Spanish language learning experience as well as an introduction to Nicaraguan culture ,history and politics.

The Mariposa was very comfortable and clean.I really appreciated the private bathroom and hot solar shower.The staff was patient with my bumbling Spanish and willing to practice with me. I had classes for two weeks and also participated in many of the optional (included) cultural and arts activities offered by the school including horseback riding and a boat trip where I made a monkey friend.

My stay was a great value and I learned a lot about many aspects of life in Nicaragua while improving my Spanish and making friends with locals and other guests.I would recommend this school/hotel if you want to support the local economy and learn about Nicaragua's history and culture in a environment with lots of friendly people and animals and beautiful gardens.

I hope to return for a longer stay next Summer!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

This was the second time that I stayed at the Mariposa school/ecohotel and it felt just like going to stay with friends. The entire staff of workers and teachers are wonderful and so welcoming to the guests. It is such a value for the price but the hospitality is not something that you could even put a price on. I enjoyed the Spanish classes and felt that I learned a lot. In addition, I learned a lot from the staff and the excursions and now feel like I have a much better understanding of life in Nicaragua. The style is easy going and you can do as much or as little as you want and if the existing excursions are not to your liking the staff will help you arrange something else. The Spanish classes are much the same in that you can go at your own pace and tailor the style so that you learn what you want. I also really enjoyed the food in that it was all fresh and healthy. I hope to make this at least a yearly destination!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

Watch out—this place is addicting. I recently returned from my third trip to Nicaragua and La Mariposa. And I apparently was not the only one who felt that way—during my last stay folks who had been there and then taken off to continue their trips kept dropping back in for a night or two. It quickly feels like home—the warm, welcoming kind--to anyone who has been there.

It is a shining jewel in a very crowded field of Central Spanish schools and, although this is the only place that I have gone for intensive Spanish study, it is difficult to imagine finding a better place (confirmed by people I met there who have studied at other schools). Bergman has assembled a group of excellent teachers who also know how to make learning fun (and effective).

The lodgings combine great comfort with an effective eco-approach and the grounds become more beautiful each time I return. Owner Paulette Gudge has somehow figured out how to stir just a pinch of Brit into the wonderful Nica approach to life with the end result of days filled with learning, fabulous meals, outings, and relaxation. She and the wonderful Nicas who work with her offer an array of after-class activities ranging from thought-provoking lectures on the country’s history to challenging and beautiful hikes around the top of one of the many volcanoes. Nicaragua is an amazing place—stunning scenery, genuine and welcoming people, and a history that we all need to know.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Brooklyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010

La Mariposa is simple one of those special places. By which I mean it's far and away more than the sum of its parts. My husband and I scheduled a week to further our (pretty skimpy) knowledge of Spanish. We did that, in spades. Our teachers patiently took us a solid stage ahead of where we'd been and by the end of our five day stint we considered them not only teachers, but friends. I guess that's what makes the place memorable. You feel as though everyone -- from Paulette, who has masterminded and created this inn/school, to the teachers, cooks, fellow travellers and even the many rescue dogs -- they all seem to take a real and personal interest in your well being! We didn't feel like tourists as much as guests. By day three, we were asking whether we could extend our stay. Our trips -- by foot, horse, and van -- into the barrios and farms of San Juan del Concepcion brought us into the lives of the local Nicaraguan farmer and artisan. We came away with a deeper understanding of the problems facing the country and generous spirit of the NIcaragua people.

I'm a nature lover and I was delighted to find that there were plenty of opportunities for hiking and exploration of the breathtaking Nicaraguan landscape. Among all the other memories, there's the sweeping vista across the plains to the lakes and volcanos of the Masayan region, taken in from the top of a ridge we horsebacked out to one afternoon.

And, oh, the food -- it was sublime. Several different veggie dishes per meal, lots of fresh fruit . Even my meat-eating husband was satisfied (esp when everyone went out to the local bar for roasted pig. Don't ask me about it. I wasn't there, but Al came back with a big grin.)

The grounds are delightful -- even surprising -- places for wandering. Local artistry and comfy hammocks fills the nooks and crannies of the open air classrooms and sitting areas and you can have meaningful exchanges with the monkeys and parrots who have their own rooms in the far end of the garden. I came out late one night among the lush plantings just to gaze at the stars. It's that kind of place. You're at home in foreign land.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at Mariposa for one week during our month-long trip to Nicaragua, and both of us were amazed at the quality of ourexperience. The hotel itself had everything we could hope for- hammocks and quiet reading areas, a fully stocked library, clean, comfortable rooms with hot water, lovely grounds. The animals are all friendly and I loved being able to play with the monkeys! The food was healthy and tasty, and the afternoon excursions all worthwhile.

The Spanish classes are unbeatable in terms of substance and price. We had one on one instruction for four hours a day! The teachers must accomodate a wide variety of language ability, particularly well demonstrated by the fact that I am fluent in Spanish and my boyfriend knew essentially nothing beyong bar terminology. While my boyfriend received a crash course in Spanish basics, I studied the nuances of "por y para" and reviewed complex grammar. Our teachers were energetic, friendly, patient, and pushed us when needed.

I wholeheartedly recommend Mariposa as a wonderful place to learn Spanish or just stay for a few nights. In fact, my boyfriend is considering returning to study Spanish for a month.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to La Mariposa Spanish School and Eco Hotel? Share your experiences!