“My stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Mariposa Spanish School and Eco Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Masaya
La Mariposa Spanish School and Eco Hotel
You added La Mariposa Spanish School and Eco Hotel to your Saves list
De la Cancha, 200 metros al sur, 50 al este | San Juan de la Concepcion, Masaya, Nicaragua   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Masaya
London, England, United Kingdom
“My stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I'm 13 and I stated at la Mariposa for 3 weeks over Christmas. I really enjoyed myself. It was so much fun, there was always something to do. Ranging from going in a trip to the lake(which was beautiful) or climbing volcanoes. When I first got there I was a bit dissapointed because there was no pool but that was soon sorted out because we found a lovely swimming pool just 10 mins drive down it the road. My bedroom was really comfortable and clean. The spanish lessons really helped and everyone was so nice. It was a great trip that I'd loved to do again. I'd love to come back and help as a intern.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
East Bay, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Please visit La Mariposa if you wish to learn or perfect your Spanish in an eco-friendly environment, in a small town in Nicaragua. Founded by creator Paulette Goudge (paulette.goudge@googlemail.com), this is a gem in the jungle of Nicaragua. You will be picked up at the airport by one of the friendly staff, and transported to the Eco-Hotel, where you will stay in airy rooms or with a family (home stay). Classes are usually in the morning, with activities planned in the local community in the afternoon. This is not the Hilton, as Paulette likes to stay, and your accommodations are not fancy, but serve the purpose just fine. Three delicious mostly-vegetarian meals a day are served, utilizing fruits and veggies from their local "finca" or garden. The school employs more than 40 local personnel, as cooks, gardeners, teachers, etc. Water is recycled for irrigation, and all the power comes from solar panels. Every single person we met was pleasant and helpful. I highly recommend this immersion experience.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I am really glad I decided to stay at La Mariposa. It was beautiful, laid-bad and is doing great things for the environment and its' community. I came back home relaxed, educated and inspired.

Ps. My room and bathroom were clean and comfortable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

After spending the better part of Northern summer 2012 at La Mariposa, I returned for my winter break with a friend to visit the folks I'd met and enjoy the festivities of la navidad.

When we arrived we easily found our transport at the airport in Managua (thanks to the butterfly sign!) I always apologize for the delayed flights from the states, but I think by now they know to expect that.

We were placed with my previous homestay family per personal request, meaning they ended up hosting not just myself, but 2 of my friends as well. The family embraced us all and enjoyed having us around.

It was a brief visit, but in the time we were there we got to enjoy the yearly holiday party for the staff. (December 24th, so put it on your calendar not to be missed for next year!) It was a gorgeous event at the new project with 2 live bands, a dj, dancing and delicious food. Even better was getting to visit with all of my favorite folks that I had gotten to know so well from classes and life at La Mariposa over the summer.

All in all, a wonderful experience and I will be doing my darndest to get back as soon as funds and time allow!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

La Mariposa is a special place with special people working there. Us guests weren't bad either. My 13 year old daughter and I stayed there for 3 weeks over Xmas and the New Year: we were planning to come and go but had such fun there that we stayed there the whole time. It is a great and very friendly eco hotel, with one-to-one spanish teaching, vegetarian food, fun outings and various community projects. Best of all the staff bent over backwards to help us have a good time. The dogs, chickens, monkeys, iguanas and even the possom were a treat for my daughter. Especially important is the fact that the hotel is an investment in Nicaragua with the income it generates all being spent there.

Room Tip: upstairs rooms are airier
Valencia, Venezuela
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed with the Mariposa for two weeks over Christmas break and had an absolutely amazing time. After an effortless pickup from the airport, I was set up with an extremely friendly host family for the first week. I also was a volunteer for the first week and was taken to meet the people I would be working with and felt so comfortable and truly was able to get to know the community of La Concha, Masaya, and Santiago. I took Spanish classes everyday which were one-on-one lessons of both grammar and speaking. I have never walked away with more Spanish and felt confident in speaking! It was hard, but paid off! The second week I stayed in the hotel and was comfortable with mosquito nets, warm water, my own bathroom, and the meals were out of this world! I am not a vegetarian, but considered becoming one after my stay! The staff was so accommodating and worked around the clock to cater to our needs, requests, and ideas. It started to feel like a small family. I will definitely be returning and highly recommend this place for Spanish, excursions, volunteering, relaxing, and getting a good sense of the culture of Nicaragua!

Room Tip: Not every family stay has a mosquito net, that might be helpful to bring. Read the website- it will...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
philadelphia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Although our family enjoyed other aspects of our stay (including Spanish classes), we would not return to La Mariposa unless something is done about the bathrooms: lots of visible mold and mildew as well as the stink of mold.

We tried 3 different rooms - were told by La Mariposa staff that the third room (on the top floor) was a "little less mildewy," and that accurately describes the mild improvement. We have traveled extensively and repeatedly across Nicaragua (as well as other countries in Central America) -- at the same price point as La Mariposa, other hotels have all been much cleaner.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
paulettelamariposa, Owner at La Mariposa Spanish School and Eco Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Well I am sorry but not surprised to see this review. Fortunately most of our students can appreciate the Mariposa and all we offer and do without demanding utter perfection in every detail. As we say on the website if that is what you want go to a Holiday Inn. Though we have recently redecorated our bathrooms the rooms downstairs do suffer from some dampness at the end of the wet season. Hence the move to an upstairs room. And as we are genuinely an eco hotel we do try to minimize the amount of disinfectants etc that we use for cleaning. I do sometimes think that guests such as this family like the notion of an eco hotel but don't actually want to live with the reality! I would also like to add that this family wanted initially to stay here without taking any classes. We do not do this in the high season but, at their insistence, made an exception. They then asked for classes, always at the last minute and always wanting an immediate response (which they got). They did not arrive in time for a Sunday horseride so one was especially arranged for them (at no extra cost) during the week. They expected horse riding helmets (this in the second poorest country in the Western hemishere......horse riding helmets?????) but we searched high and low, eventually finding some bicycle helmets. They were not quite up to standard either.......I agree, please go somewhere more to your 'standards' next time!!!

Been to La Mariposa Spanish School and Eco Hotel? Share your experiences!