“Family Trip Filled with Culture, Language, Excursions, and new Family/Friends” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Mariposa Spanish School and Eco Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Masaya
La Mariposa Spanish School and Eco Hotel
You added La Mariposa Spanish School and Eco Hotel to your Saves list
De la Cancha, 200 metros al sur, 50 al este | San Juan de la Concepcion, Masaya, Nicaragua   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Masaya
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Family Trip Filled with Culture, Language, Excursions, and new Family/Friends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We spent 3 weeks at La Mariposa. I took my kids (aged 14, 11, 8) and we stayed with a family near the school. They were incredibly welcoming, accommodating and caring. The living conditions were very simple and clean; the food was delicious. We had one room for the 4 of us (5 when my husband joined us after 2 1/2 weeks) and yet we had all we needed! We would walk to school each morning (10 minutes) and take amazing Spanish classes. The kids worked part of the time on the grounds (I needed more lesson time than they did!) and I worked on the farm a couple of days. We participated in the schools' excursions and we learned so much about the culture, history, politics and local area. The local people were so friendly and welcoming - we always felt safe and did not have any issues what so ever (we traveled for 12 days after the Mariposa too). If you want to see a fabulous area that will really give you insight on Nica life, go to La Mariposa and just settle in. You will be amazed at what you learn about Nicaragua and honestly, yourself. My son shocked me one day when we were hand washing our clothes in the front yard, "Mom, I like this simple life!" Priceless. We had a very tearful goodbye when we left our host family. We have never done a long trip like this and certainly we have not been some place with such limited amenities. We loved it and would do it again in a heart beat! Spanish, volcanoes, beaches, local artisans, salsa dancing, city tours -- all fantastic excursions! La Mariposa is smart! They have figured out quality service, fair pricing, and unique experiences in a beautiful setting. The mixture of ages and nationality made it even more interesting. We will keep in touch and hope to return soon! If you ant more info on this trip, feel free to email me!

Room Tip: Stay with a family if you can live without hot showers (although La Mariposa has an outdoor hot show...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
paulettelamariposa, Owner at La Mariposa Spanish School and Eco Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
A real pleasure to meet you and your family. Especially exciting for us to work with kids with such a high level of Spanish!! Take care and stay in touch with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I spent 7 weeks at La Mariposa as a solo female traveler this summer and enjoyed every minute of it! I would highly recommend the school if you're interested in experiencing a more "real" part of Nicaragua with less gringos. The teachers are well educated and professional, the school is beautiful, the locals are friendly, the staff is helpful...everything you need to make the experience great. I was also really impressed with how the school caters to families, providing teachers specialized in teaching children and homestays that accommodate entire families. At the end of my time there, I not only learned quite a bit of Spanish, but also a lot about Nicaragua. I hope to return in the next few years!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Yes it has been a great summer also of course because we get such great students here!! Who are also helpful and friendly and contribute in different ways to the community feeling. It was a pleasure having you here!!
Chiapas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

My son and I had a great week working with the folks at La Mariposa. We wanted a homestay, service opportunities, and some work on our Spanish at the language school and they accomodated our requests with patience and professionalism. The homestay family was terrific, the teachers enrgentic, and the overall vibe of the place was friendly, knowledgeable, efficent, and relaxed. Great people!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
'Patience and professionalism'.....we do try!! Thank you for your comments and thank you so much for all your sporting donations, much appreciated by the local kids!
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

My family and i stayed at Mariposa for a month. Mt 13 year old daughter volunteered at a local school I the mornings and took classes in the afternoon. My husband , my twins and I had classes in the mornings and participated in afternoon activities.
The hotel was very nice and clean. We had daily maid service, hot showers and great fresh healthy meals. The hotel staff were all very nice and respectful and helpful.
The Spanish school was run very professionally. Classes were always on time and the teachers were serious about teaching. I learned so much in just a month. There is a library filled with excellent resources to further enhance your learning and help with home work.
Paulette, the owner of the school is now one of my favorite people. My daughter had a birthday while we were there and Paulette organized a huge part with a live band and everything. It was great. Paulette also saw that my spoiled American 11 year old twin boys did not care for the healthy meals so she went and purchased kid food for them. If you bring you kids I hope you are a better mother than me and they eat the fantastic fresh fruit and vegetables.
The money you spend going to Mariposa really helps the local Nicaraguan families who do not have many opportunities. The school also rescues all kinds of animals that would certainly die if no actions were taken. I am going back next year and would like to live with a family next time.

Room Tip: Live with a family if you are serious about learning Spanish.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind comments Lisa. We really enjoyed having your kids around.....and hope you all come back next year ready to learn MORE Spanish!!!
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I just returned from two weeks at the Mariposa. I did not stay in the hotel, but rather stayed in a homestay with a local family. They were very hospitable despite limited resources. The homestay experience is the best way to learn about the Nica way of life. Be sure to carefully read the section on the website about the typical Nicaraguan living conditions so that you are prepared for the experience. The Mariposa school is very well run and offers so much more than Spanish classes. I had the opportunity to visit many near-by communities and I am looking forward to returning to my volunteer placement at the Panama School. The staff at the Mariposa are very hard-working and dedicated and do all that they can to help you have a positive and authentic experience. I will return!

Room Tip: Hernesto and Aura were a great homestay family. Bring earplugs. Nicaragua wakes up everywhere arou...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
You are greatly missed by the teachers and kids at the Panama school, hope you can return someday!! Thanks for the review.
Rossdorf, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

The atmosphere of La Mariposa is very warm/familiar. We felt welcome from the very first moment and everything was taken care of immediately. Their intern Ruth does a stunning job and is 200% dedicated – thanks a lot! We stayed with a local family but enjoyed our Spanish lessons and delicious lunch at the wonderful, natural terrace and garden of the Ecolodge. Staying with a local family and spending a few days at one of La Mariposa’s school projects at the rural and non-touristy little town “La Concha” was an excellent experience and additional boost for our Spanish skills. Furthermore it gave us the possibility to see a little bit of the real Nicaragua which made our stay even more special. You also get the impression that money and possible donations are utilized with purpose.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. We have had great interns, such as Ruth, and they certainly help to keep the place going. And we certainly try and spend income from both donations and what you pay for your stay here for the maximum benefit to the local community and the environment. Glad you enjoyed the experience!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I stayed for a week at La Mariposa last summer, and I highly recommend it. If I hadn't been meeting friends elsewhere in Nicaragua, I would have stayed longer. The food was excellent, the Spanish teachers were very good (especially Richard), and I enjoyed the grounds with lots of hammocks, animals, and hot water. As others have said, this is by no means a luxury experience, so it attracts a certain type of traveler/student (the type I want to meet and be around!). I hope to be able to go back next year and spend a month or so, practicing my Spanish and volunteering at one of the many projects Paulette is involved with.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Thank you, I am glad you enjoyed the Spanish classes (as well as the rest!). Hope to see you again for a bit longer next time.

Been to La Mariposa Spanish School and Eco Hotel? Share your experiences!