“Awesome course, getting even better!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 10 things to do in Kodak
Activities: Golfing
More attraction details
Owner description: With many trees, difficult water holes, and unusual layout, this Arthur Hills-designed 18-hole golf course challenges beginners and pros alike.
Knoxville
“Awesome course, getting even better!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Played on June 30th and despite 16+ inches of rain in our area this course was in great shape. While I really think the new greens are fantastic, I want to say the new owner continues to make the right improvements. I was suprised to see new landscaping which includes a new putting green next to Hole #1 tee box. The clubhouse looks great and the addition of another practice green was a good idea.

As always, the clubhouse staff was excellent and my experience continues to be positive. These guys are very amenable and want to be sure you are taken care of, which is a really nice touch. If you are new to the area, or haven't played the course in a while - get out there! You will be glad you did.

Visited June 2013

Strawberry Plains, Tennessee, United States
“Great Course, Awful Club House Staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I live in nearby in Strawberry Plains, Tennessee and love the layout and course at River Islands. I took my son this morning for his 19th birthday and was welcomed by the most rude and hateful person I have ever encountered working in a golf course club house. His name was Joe and he basically called me a liar saying my golf package I had purchased did not come with range balls and that it was closed. I made a comment that it was false advertising to sell green and cart fees with free range balls and then to close the range and this just further enraged him. Unfortunately, my wife had my cell phone at the time with my receipt clearly showing the range balls were included. Anyway, I will not be going back to this course. It is a beautiful course, and the maintenance people were first class throughout the round, but I will never offer my hard earned money to someone who treated me the way that Joe treated us this morning.

Visited June 2013
Knoxville, TN
39 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Golf Course”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have played River Islands alot over the past few years. The previous owner/staff was not pleasant to deal with and they kept me away from this course for a couple years. Since the new owner/staff has taken over the course is really a pleasure to play. The staff has been nothing but friendly to us all year.

The new greens are great but they can be very fast and dont break as much as they look. The ball rolls true and they are always in good shape. The bunker refinishing is still going on but mostly complete it seems. They also have new carts with tracking devices in them that helps with pace of play. We were out there Saturday and a Ranger came up to us and told us he asked the group ahead to speed up for us, I thought it was odd because we hadnt had to wait on them but they are really trying to focus on pace of play. I always tee off early and usually when we circle back around to 15 or so you can see the first few holes backing up...hopefully they can get this under control but the course is so scenic that it is hard for newbies not to take in the scenery.

Hole 9 does not return to the clubhouse but there is a turn shack where you can pick up some food and drink as well as use the restroom. The cart girl comes around quite often as well but she doesnt have any real food with her so make sure you pick up food at the turn if you need more than crackers. There is an additional restroom and soda machine that can be accessed from both hole 4 and hole 16. The only thing missing are water stations, if I recall they used to have these spread out at various tee boxes but I havent seen any lately. I hope they plan to bring these back considering how hot and humid it can get in the summer.

Either way, this is a great course for locals (they have a local rate) and a good deal for vacationers that are willing to make the trip from Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg when they want to mix it up from the other courses in the area.

Visited May 2013
Wisconsin
29 attraction reviews
“Finally got to play it, and it was excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

The location, close to I-40, is ideal for folders from the Knoxville area, but for visitors staying in the Gatlinburg area, it's pretty much an hour each way. My wife and I had hope to play late afternoon, on the day of our arrival, but we were a little late getting there, and the layout, which doesn't return to the clubhouse until 18, doesn't lend itself to a "quick 9". After talking to Jerry, who was super-helpful, we decided that Wednesday, a little either side of 1pm, would be my best bet for getting out as a single and being able to not be stuck behind a bunch of groups; I played the first 12 before I caught up with other golfers, and while the last 6 were a bit slow for me, I didn't think 3:15 was too bad for 90-degree rule (my goal when playing solo is 2:15-2:30 for 18). With the river and the islands, there's some forced carries, but overall, the course was not penal. Mounding and bunkers mean that running your ball onto the green isn't usually an option (It's been a while since I'd played an Arthur Hills course, so I don't remember if this is common to his designs). I liked the greens, but continually read too much break, finding out after the round that the type of grass doesn't break as much as one might expect. Overall, just a really enjoyable round of golf.

Visited May 2013
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Riverview Golf at its best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Friendly pro-shop staff and a course in great condition. T-times are easy to get and the course is truly a championship layout.

Visited February 2013