“We loved Knoxville!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Knoxville

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Knoxville
Directions
Knoxville, TN
“We loved Knoxville!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

Wanting to save a bit of money this year on our vacation, our family decided to head to Tennessee. We spent about 4 days in Knoxville and loved every second of it! First of all, it's a beautiful city! The people were so friendly, the weather was perfect and there was plenty of things for our family to do. We went downtown to the sunsphere, played in the fountains, shopped down on Gay Street, and of course spent some time down in the Smoky Mountains. Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/Sevierville are about a 30 min ride away from Knoxville and the drive is just gorgeous heading to it. We found hotel rooms for about $50-60 a night and all of them included our breakfast, had a pool, etc.
If you're looking for a family friendly vacation and don't want to go broke on it - head out to Knoxville, you won't regret it one bit!

spring
“Dogville”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

1 out of 4 people have not graduated from high school and the ignorance shows. Real estate agents are prime examples. They caused the housing crisis in Knoxville and are now saying they are working to help people keep their houses. Talk about stupid idiots. When people purchased their house, e.g., at $190,000 in 2008 and presently owe the bank $172,000, which is the case in a vast number of quick sales and bank sales, these stupid real estate agents say they "are trying to help" ? How stupid can Agents be?? The bank does not give these people new loans or change loans. They could not pay on the original loan. Fortunately, I never had to deal with the issue and after 3 years in Knoxville I can leave. There is about a 17% turnover rate as people that come in leave nearly as fast as they arrive. If you have to deal with any Real Estate Agents Morons in the Knoxville area try about 4 different agents out to ensure their honesty, integrity and chemistry. Make sure you know who you are working with and do not trust an Agent. If your company works with an Agency, do not trust the Agent assigned. Look around and make sure or you will wind up disadvantaged.

Upstate NY
“Knoxville: Robust Economy, Culturally Deficient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

I'm from rural upstate New York State, my sister is from Sacramento, CA (state capitol). We visit family in Knoxville about 3 times a year. Each time we are more amazed at how the economy in Knoxville is just booming! The stores are just clogged with people trying to spend money! There are no decade old rusted jalopies on the road with mismatched paint jobs like here in NY; just Lexus, BMW's, Mercedes and newer Hondas, Toyotas and American cars. They can't build mansions fast enough! My brother said his annual taxes on his house (which is three times the size of mine in NY on about 1/2 acre) are $375 per year! I'm paying $5500 and I live in a suburban/rural area with only 1/4 acre and an itty bitty house. I know rich doctors in NY who have houses the size of my brother's who are paying about $25,000 in annual taxes on the house. What gives in Knoxville? Why is there so much money floating around there? Why are the taxes so low? I got on the Department of Labor site and it says the unemployment rate in Knoxville is 10% or so, less than my town, but apparently everybody that's employed must get paid a heck of a lot more than us NY'ers to be shopping and spending so much. What gives? I don't get it. One thing, though, I noticed that with my NY plates, Knoxville drivers would go out of their way to cut me off then slam on their brakes. Some would tailgate, so I'd slow down so they'd pass, but instead, they'd just continue to tailgate me even though the other lanes were wide open. They don't do that when I rent a car at the airport with TN plates. I actually had someone at a pharmacy look at my license and say, "Oh, you're from NY." Then he paused, looked up at me while he handed back my license and said with a straight face, "When are you going back? We're still fighting the civil war down here. " I smiled and said, "I see that. Thanks." The only two African-Americans I saw in Knoxville were staying at my hotel. I saw one man who looked like he was from Inda or Pakistan working at the Wal-Mart. There must be minorities somewhere, maybe just not in the western part of Knoxville. Even the shoppers at the Wal-Mart looked "upscale", in that everybody dresses better in Knoxville, well, at least better than what I'm used to. My brother said that it's because we deal with so much snow up here 9 months out of the year that dressing badly gets to be a habit (high heels and dresses aren't compatible with a blizzard or heavy rains) and we don't realize how bad we look year round; but my sister from Sacramento noticed the same thing. There are so many Christian churches in the area. Everybody I met asked me, "What church do you go to when you're here?" In other words, "what's your denomination". You would NEVER get asked that question in NY because it's considered rude in NY; but in Knoxville, it's the standard introduction. When I got back to NY, one of the doctors I work with (Arab-Muslim) asked if there were jobs in the area for his specialty and I told him that he probably wouldn't like it there because there's not enough diversity. There was a Chinese food place run by Americans. They put peas and carrots in the General Tsao's chicken! Yikes! And there was a line out the door for that place! Knoxville seems to be insulated, both economically and culturally. It was really quite amazing, robust economy, incredible shopping but very Christian, very rich and very white.

Arizona
“Labor Day vacation in Knoxville, Tennessee”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

What an amazing trip! On my first day in Knoxville, I was invited to ride on a lovely yacht down the spectacular Tennessee River to attend a University of Tennessee football game. We anchored next to several hundred other vessels and the party had already begun. I have never seen such a sea of orange! The SEC certainly has a lot of spirit and the Vols were successful in winning their game.

The next day we drove into the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and started a three day backpacking trip, hiking amid some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen! Even though it was a holiday weekend, we saw only a couple of other people on the trail. We camped by beautiful creeks where the water babbled down a cascade of rocks and made the most beautiful music all night. The trees were just beginning the change into their fall fashion and I remember stopping in my tracks many times when I was just overwhelmed by what my eyes were taking in.

We completed the weekend with a driving tour of the Smoky Mountains to the Appalachian Trail on the North Carolina/Tennessee boarder and topped off our evening with a dinner of fried catfish and hush puppies that we washed down with delicious sweet tea. I've heard stories about how nice the people are in the South - well, that was certainly my experience. I will be visiting Knoxville, Tennessee again in the very near future!

Fort Myers, FL
“Love Knoxville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

I always love to go to Knoxville, TN. We always take the motorcycle and ride the Dragon Tail and enjoy the beautiful mountain scenery. We have great friends in the area and always enjoy the restaurants and all the wonderful things that you can do in the area. Douglas lake is always beautiful.

Mary

Been to Knoxville? Share your experiences!